Time to Gain! Anyone running a bulk?

Replies

• alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Guys I am so excited. I worked with my PT and we figured out ways to work around my back injury (we still think it’s a bulging disc/pinched nerve). No more squats but will try goblet squats next time. If it’s a no go, sticking w Bulgarian split squats. No DLs. Hip thrusts! Thrust is a must. No RDLs or lying leg curls. Going to try seated curls. Anyone have any other hamstring exercises?

No OHP. Sticking w upright rows and lat raises. Any other shoulder exercises?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2020
    alexmose wrote: »
    Guys I am so excited. I worked with my PT and we figured out ways to work around my back injury (we still think it’s a bulging disc/pinched nerve). No more squats but will try goblet squats next time. If it’s a no go, sticking w Bulgarian split squats. No DLs. Hip thrusts! Thrust is a must. No RDLs or lying leg curls. Going to try seated curls. Anyone have any other hamstring exercises?

Can you leg press, glute ham raise, still leg dumbbell deadlifts, single leg hip thrust?

Also,.look into bodyweight exercises.
  • alexmose
    psuLemon wrote: »

Can you leg press, glute ham raise, still leg dumbbell deadlifts?

We are avoiding hip hinge. Ah I haven’t tried leg press or glute ham raise yet but I’ll give it a while!
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,214 Member

Good news! No OHP at all, even DBs with neutral grip? Only other thoughts I had for shoulders were front raises and face pulls.
  • alexmose
    steveko89 wrote: »

Good news! No OHP at all, even DBs with neutral grip? Only other thoughts I had for shoulders were front raises and face pulls.

yes! I just thought of facepulls and i guess rear delt pulls from the seated row machine. we are just going to leave OHP out for now.....don't want to risk it. It doesn't hurt but we are avoiding loading my spine for now.
  • alexmose
    Rant I’m sorry: ARG!! I am getting hit w all the medical issues. Back injury is either pinched nerve, herniated disc, MS, or all three. I have flu-like symptoms so getting tested. I JUST WANT TO TRAIN but I know taking some time off to reset is ok.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    Rant I’m sorry: ARG!! I am getting hit w all the medical issues. Back injury is either pinched nerve, herniated disc, MS, or all three. I have flu-like symptoms so getting tested. I JUST WANT TO TRAIN but I know taking some time off to reset is ok.

Sorry for your issues. Hope you feel better soon!!
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member

Waiting is hard.
  • steveko89
    Hey everyone. Hope those who are US-based enjoyed the holiday weekend.

Thursday will mark 16 weeks gaining. By HappyScale's moving average I'm up 5.8 lbs in what has been 109 days for an average of 0.37 lbs/week or just about 1.5 lbs/month. Overall that's still more aggressive than I'd planned and looking at my charts the last ~3 lbs have been added in the last 5-6 weeks. The last 2 weeks or so I've been a more controlled surplus but that's going to undo the previous month's fat gains averaging ~+300/day. I'll do a skulpt scan tomorrow to see where I stand BF%-wise but I'm thinking I'll need to back off soon, if I'm not there already. Depending on the day, time of day, and what I'm wearing I'll either feel pleasantly large, or a beached whale.
  • steveko89

Thursday will mark 16 weeks gaining. By HappyScale's moving average I'm up 5.8 lbs in what has been 109 days for an average of 0.37 lbs/week or just about 1.5 lbs/month. Overall that's still more aggressive than I'd planned and looking at my charts the last ~3 lbs have been added in the last 5-6 weeks. The last 2 weeks or so I've been a more controlled surplus but that's going to undo the previous month's fat gains averaging ~+300/day. I'll do a skulpt scan tomorrow to see where I stand BF%-wise but I'm thinking I'll need to back off soon, if I'm not there already. Depending on the day, time of day, and what I'm wearing I'll either feel pleasantly large, or a beached whale.

Contradictory data this morning... down to 177 on the scale after averaging 178s for the last week and skulpt spit out 13.6% BF and a muscle quality score down almost 10 points from 11/2 which just doesn't make any sense as that'd equate to a loss of nearly 2.5 lbs of lean mass in 30 days. The device seems finicky this morning too, taking twice as long to get a full scan done so I'm tempted to throw out the number and try again tomorrow to see if the data look like less of an outlier.
  • alexmose

Contradictory data this morning... down to 177 on the scale after averaging 178s for the last week and skulpt spit out 13.6% BF and a muscle quality score down almost 10 points from 11/2 which just doesn't make any sense as that'd equate to a loss of nearly 2.5 lbs of lean mass in 30 days. The device seems finicky this morning too, taking twice as long to get a full scan done so I'm tempted to throw out the number and try again tomorrow to see if the data look like less of an outlier.

Yea, toss the number.

After a month of taking some time off of heavier weights, I went to the gym and was just humbled by 2 sets per body part. Getting back to where I was will certainly take more time than I thought, but happy to have gotten it done today.

In this time off, illness/herniated disc, I lost some weight...I am sitting at 104-106lbs which is close to underweight for me. I will just keep protein up and listen to my body. Still tapping out early on today's session was a bummer, but I am so glad I got it done.
  • steveko89

Yea, toss the number.

After a month of taking some time off of heavier weights, I went to the gym and was just humbled by 2 sets per body part. Getting back to where I was will certainly take more time than I thought, but happy to have gotten it done today.

In this time off, illness/herniated disc, I lost some weight...I am sitting at 104-106lbs which is close to underweight for me. I will just keep protein up and listen to my body. Still tapping out early on today's session was a bummer, but I am so glad I got it done.

Glad to hear you're back in action. At least some of that weight is bound to be glycogen depletion from not lifting.
  • steveko89

Another day at 177 and 13.2% per today's scan. Better but still indicating a loss of lean mass. If the numbers are to be believed I'm inclined to throw in the towel. There are few accuracy studies on the skulpt and one n=1 review I've found in the past showed the skulpt to estimate figures 1.5-2% points leaner when compared to a DEXA. If that's also the case for me (there aren't any local DEXA clinics as far as I know) and I started gaining around 13% and now I'm up over 15% it would explain a little on the fat:muscle gain ratio, if I understand p-ratio correctly. I'm very curious what more experienced bulkers think.
  • alexmose

Another day at 177 and 13.2% per today's scan. Better but still indicating a loss of lean mass. If the numbers are to be believed I'm inclined to throw in the towel. There are few accuracy studies on the skulpt and one n=1 review I've found in the past showed the skulpt to estimate figures 1.5-2% points leaner when compared to a DEXA. If that's also the case for me (there aren't any local DEXA clinics as far as I know) and I started gaining around 13% and now I'm up over 15% it would explain a little on the fat:muscle gain ratio, if I understand p-ratio correctly. I'm very curious what more experienced bulkers think.

Please do not throw in the towel. I say give it another week!
  • steveko89

Please do not throw in the towel. I say give it another week!

The positive is that compared to early March at the same weight the skulpt registered a 14.8% which would mark a 3 lb lean mass gain in ~9 months, even with the possible dip of late.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    @steveko89 you know what I'm going to say, throw in the towel on the sculpt scan things. :p Honestly, it will just drive you crazy.

If you are gaining overall you shouldn't be losing lean mass unless you aren't touching weights (even then it would be rare). Water retention and loss can fluctuate and affect the numbers especially when you are lifting and increasing your volume and intensity numbers can jump around.

At the end if the day, use the mirror to gauge your bodyfat, don't gain too quickly, keep lifting and get your protein in. I promise you are making progress in the right direction.
    If you find yourself gaining too fast and getting too uncomfortable with the bodyfat, ease up on the surplus.

• GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member

How do you insure consistency with the Skulpt Steve? I've never done any experimentation but it seems like you could get some variation depending on the placement of the device. Also, I've switched to scanning from once to twice a week and I see a pretty large variation there too, although that could also be variation in my placement of the device. Or I tend to scan at different times of day which could also affect things, I assume. I've thought about using measurements to insure consistent placement but I'm not quite that AR. Almost, but not quite.
  • steveko89
    @GaryRuns , you're not wrong in there's definitely the possibility for some variance due to the nature of the device. Historically, I have data scanned under the same circumstances (same day, right after one another) and do see a small difference between with an average range of 0.8% on 2-4 scans, though one was as high as 1.9% between the two scans. Since I got the v1 device in '15 I only have seven such days of multiple scans so I wouldn't consider it a representative data set. In terms of point-to-point consistency, I make a point to scan the same way at under the same conditions, similar to the recommended scale weight process. I also only use cold water, the small sprayer included with the device, spray the device only three times before applying the scanner, and try to match the scanner placement to the model as much as possible. Even with as... we'll call it detail-oriented as I am, there's definitely a limitation to the precision and accuracy of the device.

@ Sardelsa, I know you're right on all fronts, and I get too wrapped up in the numbers. I have been gaining too quickly to expect gains to truly be lean. For the last 2-3 weeks I'm back to averaging that +150/day, which is right where I should be and I'll just have to deal with the fat gain from the six weeks before that.