Public transport is shut down, daily walk to work is causing pain

netitheyeti
netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
edited November 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
Ok, so public transport shut down for 2 weeks in my country, I can't work from home because my internet connection hasn't been stable, so I'm stuck walking a minimum of 10km per day... now, that's about 2h of walking, but on saturday I had to pick up a delayed order which involved about 15 km of walking.. I also have hypermobility issues and I'm fairly sure my knees can sometimes hyperextend when walking fast... guys, my right knee feels so swollen/tender right now and I'm looking at at least another 2 weeks of walking 10km per day... any ideas that don't involve spending 1/3 of my paycheck on taxis? (don't own a bike)

I think I'm in fairly good shape btw, I've been working out 5-6 days a week (mix of cardio and weights) and I'm 5'3 and about 118lbs at 30yo... but OWWW
I'm still doing 30-60 min workouts on top of the walking, but I focus more on yoga and upper body atm so not sure if that's making it worse... what would you do in my situation? It looks like the shutdown is getting extended, too

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited November 2020
    Can you borrow a bike or scooter? Carpool? Wrap the knee or use a neoprene brace/wrap? Ice/heat for the knee? Pay for an Uber for a few days? Call a friend to drive you in?

Have you discussed this with your manager/HR? Maybe they have some resources you don't know about for getting people to work. You're surely not the only one who is having a problem.

Also, yeah, stop the extra workouts if you're having issues.
  • netitheyeti
    work's actually been incredibly accomodating, considering I've only been here since september... I worked from home for a few days until internet started to drop for 30+ minutes at a time (I do journalism for a living, for TV... it really can't wait sometimes)
    since I'm new and moved across the country for this job (in the middle of covid) I don't really know anyone here
  • netitheyeti
    oh, I forgot to add, I don't own a bike/haven't owned one in about 20 years, but I *have* been looking at maybe buying a scooter? can't afford an electric one and snow season is basically here tho
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    I never have internet problems.

Maybe it's time to upgrade your internet. That would be the cheapest and easiest if you can work from home.
  • netitheyeti
    I never have internet problems.

Maybe it's time to upgrade your internet. That would be the cheapest and easiest if you can work from home.

I'm not allowed my own router/subscription in the room I rent, I depend on the building owner's internet.. I could probably set up a hotspot through my phone for 1-2 days but than I'd be out of my monthly data
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    What kind of shoes are you walking in? You need a good running or walking shoe with support. I like a tennis shoe that is as light as possible. I'm 65 and in my Sketchers I can walk for hours, even though I have arthritis. I run in them too for 40 min 4 times a week.
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Can you get a bike, ideally an ebike through a company cycle to work scheme? I'm a firm fan of ebikes for commuter use. Ask your company if they subscribe to a scheme as it comes out of your pay monthly before tax for a year so can be really helpful when you can't afford the outlay in full. An ebike would be great if you plan on cycling in poor weather or haven't cycled much as well as being much kinder on the knees and sweat levels while still a valid workout 💪
  • netitheyeti
    edited November 2020
    What kind of shoes are you walking in? You need a good running or walking shoe with support. I like a tennis shoe that is as light as possible. I'm 65 and in my Sketchers I can walk for hours, even though I have arthritis. I run in them too for 40 min 4 times a week.

I've been wearing my tennis shoes, but I might need to switch to my boots (tho they're not the best for long distances).. it's been dropping to -6°C past few days and if it rains or snows my tennis shoes are not waterproof (can't buy new shoes since all shops are closed due to corona - minus grocery stores and pharmacies, which have also been banned from selling shoes xD this is just.. fantastic)

just to clarify, it's not my feet or thighs that hurt, it's the backs of my knees, my legs bend the wrong way sometimes because all my joints are very loose
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Lots of ideas so far. Can you swap/barter on a place like Kijiji (or your current country's equivalent) so that you get a safe living arrangement closer to your work?

You're going to need some proper winter clothing though. Even if you're close by, there's no way around that (unless, like in my city, there are miles of "underground walkways" but even those have COVID restrictions now)

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Better shoes are a good start.
  • netitheyeti
    I'm really hoping shops open again sometime soon so I can buy some - but right now they've extended the restrictions for 2 more weeks. I haven't been able to go clothes/shoes shopping since the middle of october.
    I'm actually looking at other apartments/rooms closer to work but not much luck without my expenses going up too much... will keep looking tho, just in case
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Ok, so public transport shut down for 2 weeks in my country, I can't work from home because my internet connection hasn't been stable, so I'm stuck walking a minimum of 10km per day... now, that's about 2h of walking, but on saturday I had to pick up a delayed order which involved about 15 km of walking.. I also have hypermobility issues and I'm fairly sure my knees can sometimes hyperextend when walking fast... guys, my right knee feels so swollen/tender right now and I'm looking at at least another 2 weeks of walking 10km per day... any ideas that don't involve spending 1/3 of my paycheck on taxis? (don't own a bike)

I think I'm in fairly good shape btw, I've been working out 5-6 days a week (mix of cardio and weights) and I'm 5'3 and about 118lbs at 30yo... but OWWW
    I'm still doing 30-60 min workouts on top of the walking, but I focus more on yoga and upper body atm so not sure if that's making it worse... what would you do in my situation? It looks like the shutdown is getting extended, too
    I would tighten my load management.

Things to consider...

1. Did you start walking 10k out of the blue? Perhaps too much too soon.
    2. I would look into using a bicycle or the like as a possible option to lower stress.
    3. Adjust the amount of stress to the knee in any cario style training.
    4. Adjust volume/intensity/frequency to manage my external load to my body to more appropriate levels.

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Are deliveries still allowed? Might be worth buying some walking boots online. Not ideal I know, but if you pick somewhere with a good returns policy you could try a couple of sizes.

Would a support bandage help your knee stay in place, or maybe slowing the pace a little?

I know you mention you havn't been there long, but is there any notice board, social space, HR person you can use to establish if anyone lives near you and could car share? I would genuinely feel bad and want to help if someone I worked with lived just down the road and was having those problems.
  • netitheyeti
    Chieflrg wrote: »

I would tighten my load management.

Things to consider...

1. Did you start walking 10k out of the blue? Perhaps too much too soon.
    2. I would look into using a bicycle or the like as a possible option to lower stress.
    3. Adjust the amount of stress to the knee in any cario style training.
    4. Adjust volume/intensity/frequency to manage my external load to my body to more appropriate levels.

1) Kinda? I would typically average about 4km a day of walking, and right now I'm doing about 10km a day.. I'd occasionally walk 10+ if it was a sunny Saturday but that was once every maybe 2 weeks, not daily
    2) Haven't used a bike in almost 20 years so bit nervous about that
    3) yeah, been trying to keep most of my workouts mostly focused on my upper body vs anything involving knees

Thing with online shopping is I have extremely long toes and very small feet, as in there's typically about a 1/3 chance the smallest adult shoe isn't gonna fit so shopping can be kinda a "nothing fits right" experience even when doing it in person

Also, just called someone about looking at a studio apartment on friday... that is literally 2 buildings away from my current work place! Fingers crossed!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Ask work to provide a hot spot? That's what I would do 🤷‍♀️
  • Could you invest in some knee braces or knee support? I have to wear mine when I am on my treadmill due to arthritis. They really help me.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Could you plan your day so you can walk slower?? And then really focus on how you are moving so as not to hyperextend? Also, knee wraps and shoes of course. The wraps are something you can typically have good luck with without trying on first.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Could you invest in some knee braces or knee support? I have to wear mine when I am on my treadmill due to arthritis. They really help me.

I have hypermobility issues too and this is what I would do. My right shoulder is in the worst shape and I wear a brace when shovelling snow to limit the range of motion in the joint (which is what created the problem in the first place). I just bought one online, fairly inexpensively. Since it seems to help I'm going to look into getting one custom made (if I ever get to see a doctor again) as my benefit plan will cover it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    It does sound like an issue of ramp-up. You will certainly be sore from it at first. I hope you don't have to carry too much with you, but, if you do, get it into a good backpack or roll it behind you.

Now, before you give up, consider that it could totally go away in a few weeks, making you stronger than ever. I'm gathering that you are walking 2.5k to work in the morning and 2.5k home, normally, with some additional walking needed if you have errands. Given that you are young and not too heavy, I THINK YOU CAN DO THIS! In fact, in a few weeks you may wonder what all the fuss was.

It kind of reminds me of how I felt when I took up jogging a few years ago. One good thing to do is to elevate your legs and ice your knees when you get home. (While watching Netflix.)

Best of luck!
  • netitheyeti
    It does sound like an issue of ramp-up. You will certainly be sore from it at first. I hope you don't have to carry too much with you, but, if you do, get it into a good backpack or roll it behind you.

Now, before you give up, consider that it could totally go away in a few weeks, making you stronger than ever. I'm gathering that you are walking 2.5k to work in the morning and 2.5k home, normally, with some additional walking needed if you have errands. Given that you are young and not too heavy, I THINK YOU CAN DO THIS! In fact, in a few weeks you may wonder what all the fuss was.

It kind of reminds me of how I felt when I took up jogging a few years ago. One good thing to do is to elevate your legs and ice your knees when you get home. (While watching Netflix.)

Best of luck!

I'm walking 4.8km to work and 4.8km back with probably another 1-2km to grab lunch etc, I walk to work with a light backpack... which is typically less light on the way back as I tend to buy food which I then have to carry a few km back (closest shop is about 2km away from my apartment)

I'm feeling a bit better after getting a taxi to work on friday and then taking saturday and sunday as light exercise/rest days, but for sure looking into different shoes as soon as I can!