LET'S TALK THANKSGIVING!

Replies

• JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    Small get together, just us and 5 other family members. We’re doing all the cooking, 2 turkeys (one traditional and one deep fried, we’ll have some leftovers!), mashed potatoes, stuffing, cheesy cauliflower, sweet potatoes, rolls, deviled eggs, corn and plenty of wine!!
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    I work at a hospital and to get Christmas off I needed to work Thanksgiving Day. But the hospital provides a nice traditional dinner. My husband is having dinner with friends, so he will have a traditional dinner also. So I am going to cook something yummy on Friday and we will have some other friends over. I love to cook. Actually miss brining and cooking a turkey but maybe I will do that for Christmas.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I'm just REALLY looking forward to turkey
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

That's funny, because the turkey is what I look forward to the least. I mean, I like it alright, but it's just kind of there to justify all the sides.
  • pancakerunner

That's funny, because the turkey is what I look forward to the least. I mean, I like it alright, but it's just kind of there to justify all the sides.

All in how it's prepared! Ugh... I CRAVE it!
  • pancakerunner
    477k7tu5idjf.png
    kij0fl99dvr5.jpg
    ugh yum
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Broke the news to my family that I will not be joining them for Thanksgiving. Even though they have been people I have seen on and off all this time, numbers are just increasing way too much for me to feel comfortable being stuck in the house with that many people. If we lived somewhere warm where we could be outside for it, then sure. But we don't. So I will be spending it alone.

Still going to make a meal myself, though I am going to move it to actual Thanksgiving instead of the weekend.

Turkey
    Stuffing
    Green bean casserole
    Sweet potato casserole (frozen one from Aldi)
    Gravy

Also... once you thaw a turkey, how long can it sit in the fridge? I have a 11.5lb turkey so that will take 3 to 4 days to thaw. So I would need to take it out Sunday. Could I take it out of the freezer on Saturday and still be okay? Because then I could get a frozen dessert of some sort. With the turkey in there, nothing else will fit atm.
  • melissalan
    melissalan Posts: 75 Member
    Let's talk about stuffing... so many mixed opinions on this! Pesonally, I like a more traditional, but I know people who make it with cornbread or make it with rice, etc. What's your favorite kind?

Also... stuffing > mashed potatoes any day

Definitely cornbread dressing for me!
  • melissalan
    melissalan Posts: 75 Member
    Small gathering of six, and we’ll be having:
    Honey Baked Ham
    Small turkey breast
    Green bean casserole
    Baked sweet potatoes
    Cornbread dressing
    Rolls
    Crudités
    Cranberry sauce (canned)
    Pumpkin pie (Patty LaBelle’s)
    Cherry fluff (Cool Whip, sweet milk, cherry pie filling, crushed pineapple)
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited November 2020
    It will be a big food lollapalooza. We'll have everything with leftovers for days on end. Won't be too many people there. I'll be making up some plates for the neighbors. Have some really sick ones not too far away. I'll leave it at the front door. We have older cowboys that are all alone and widows, too. The pilgrims need some tiddlywinks and cheer. The natives will get down with it, too. That's my jam.
  • I'm looking for some good recipes for gluten-free stuffing and side dishes. I am also avoiding dairy and processed foods in general. Those pumpkin pie smores-things they posted on this site looked pretty amazing.
  • pancakerunner
    gyms will be closed where I am at... So curious to see how people cope! Usually they are packed the day of Thanksgiving! Hhaa
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    gyms will be closed where I am at... So curious to see how people cope! Usually they are packed the day of Thanksgiving! Hhaa

Gyms are closed here for the next 4 weeks as well. We’ve participated in the local 5k turkey trot since 2012. It’s virtual this year, but we pick up our t-shirts Monday and we’ll be trotting Thursday morning on our own route. A festive beverage afterwards at Starbucks. Also a tradition for us.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member

Thanksgiving starts the annual Concept 2 Holiday Challenge. Row 100k or 200k between US Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve, and they give extra money to a charity (you choose from a few options). I'm lucky (or made good choices?): I have a rowing machine at home. That's helped me every year, for around 18 years, even long before weight loss, to bridge the activity gap between on-water rowing season (which I participate in out of sheer love for the activity) and a maintenance routine (so I can be semi in shape to start the next on-water season).

Nonetheless, even without that, it wouldn't matter: I know what calorie level I need to maintain, without exercise. "With exercise" has more hedonic opportunities, and I like them.

Thanksgiving day, I'll indulge. One (rare) day doesn't have much impact, IME.
  • pancakerunner
    Have a safe turkey day, guys!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    So excited!!! Love cooking!
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    Thanks for all the advice guys 🍗 I feel pretty confident with my food choices now and got over myself!
    Menu
    Ham
    Mashed Potatoes
    Rolls
    Stuffing
    Corn
    Pumpkin pie no crust sugar free
    Sugar cookies

I am having a roll stuffing corn and pie 😎 I will probably have chicken breast with mine because pork hurts my gallbladder maybe a cookie 😊
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    That sounds like an amazing Thanksgiving!