WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,280 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Barbara - She doesn't want to put me on HRT for the migraines.

The story in a spoiler:
    I'm trying not to be too descriptive, because frankly, what is happening is gross. The migraines were a precursor to a terrible hormonal imbalance that is affecting my quality of life at the moment. It's to the point I can't get too far from my bathroom. I was in urgent care Monday. I got a prescription that doesn't seem to be working, at least not fast enough for me. My doctor thinks I may be in perimenopause, but she can't confirm because I've been on birth control and that has been regulating my hormones.

So, if this is what perimenopause has in store for me, I'd rather not have my uterus.

I had to cancel my Thanksgiving dinner plans. :'( I was looking forward to it. The mister isn't going out anywhere--not even to the office--right now because he needs to stay close in case I need a ride somewhere. He's been very supportive of this situation. He even picked up my prescriptions late at night and bought me "girl" products without complaint. He actually offered to do it so I wouldn't have to call my friend. I've never asked him before because that is usually something I prefer to do myself. However, I couldn't leave home long enough to do it. Driving the 10 minute to Urgent Care and getting inside to the lobby without leaving a trail of mess was challenging.

Tina

I don't want to assume, but I will say that my BFF was bleeding so heavily that she passed out and they ended up having to call an ambulance.....which seems quite extreme for what they termed a "heavy period". She ended up in the hospital for 3 days....in the end they did an ablation (is that spelled right??) to prevent further problems. So far, that has worked for her.

I hope they find something that works for you. Hugs!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    edited November 2020
    Great car, SuziQ. :D I love the colour!

Our Zoom went well. My difficult friend was late, but made it in the end. So good to see them. It's getting to feel quite natural. Almost like sitting and chatting IRL.

I've put some string lights on the mantlepiece. I'm restricting myself to lights and LED candles this year. No tree, garlands, wreaths etc.
    But I will start my cards soon. The supermarket delivery tomorrow is bringing stamps! :D No queuing at the post office.

I rang my friend in Wales this morning instead of writing my memoir. We shared an apartment for four terms at university. Good chat. She seemed a bit down, but basically OK.

Sending love to Allie. It will get better. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    (((Allie))): I am delighted you made it through surgery. It sounds like they’re optimistic for you since they’re planning to put you in your own room tomorrow. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: We have an Instant Pot. It is high quality and functions well. My husband wanted it and bought it. I consider it his. Our neighbors also bought one just before we got ours. Joe is the one who wanted it. It is his. There is a knockoff product called InstaPot. I don’t know much about it. Before we bought the Instant Pot we had a slow cooker. That evil device gave us food poisoning and we took it to the land fill. :grumble: I personally prefer to cook in cast iron. :bigsmile:

Difk: Our masks were gifts to us from a good friend who loves to sew. They have two fabric layers and a space for a filter in between. I wore one of them to the grocery store this morning. I have three of them. One stays in the house and I have one in each of our two cars so that I don't forget to have one with me. :flowerforyou: DH also has one of her masks, but he prefers to use a paper mask.

Rita: Enjoy your quiet day. Good luck with your crust. :star:

(((Tina))): Stay safe! :heart:

I’ve done our grocery shopping for the day and stocked up on the items we needed. I’m glad to be home.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »
    (((Allie))): I am delighted you made it through surgery. It sounds like they’re optimistic for you since they’re planning to put you in your own room tomorrow. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: We have an Instant Pot. It is high quality and functions well. My husband wanted it and bought it. I consider it his. Our neighbors also bought one just before we got ours. Joe is the one who wanted it. It is his. There is a knockoff product called InstaPot. I don’t know much about it. Before we bought the Instant Pot we had a slow cooker. That evil device gave us food poisoning and we took it to the land fill. :grumble: I personally prefer to cook in cast iron. :bigsmile:

Difk: Our masks were gifts to us from a good friend who loves to sew. They have two fabric layers and a space for a filter in between. I wore one of them to the grocery store this morning. I have three of them. One stays in the house and I have one in each of our two cars so that I don't forget to have one with me. :flowerforyou: DH also has one of her masks, but he prefers to use a paper mask.

Rita: Enjoy your quiet day. Good luck with your crust. :star:

(((Tina))): Stay safe! :heart:

I’ve done our grocery shopping for the day and stocked up on the items we needed. I’m glad to be home.

The masks I make are two layered too. Evelyn posted about a new style(3D)- was asking how many layers are in them- they look like quite a few more than 2. I need something a little thinner so I can breath through it-don't need asthma attacks in the store or in church

Debbie
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,120 Member
    I had themost horrendous heavy periods and was collapsing/fainting in the bathroom. I even rang the Samaritans once. Flooding while teaching was most embarrassing. I had to be taxied home. I had various treatments, including a hormone coil but I expelled that and nothing worked. Ended up with a hysterectomy. Best thing I ever did. I was so resistant to the idea, fought it for ages, but after it was done I wished I had done it much earlier and not gone through that hell.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Barbara - She doesn't want to put me on HRT for the migraines.

The story in a spoiler:
    I'm trying not to be too descriptive, because frankly, what is happening is gross. The migraines were a precursor to a terrible hormonal imbalance that is affecting my quality of life at the moment. It's to the point I can't get too far from my bathroom. I was in urgent care Monday. I got a prescription that doesn't seem to be working, at least not fast enough for me. My doctor thinks I may be in perimenopause, but she can't confirm because I've been on birth control and that has been regulating my hormones.

So, if this is what perimenopause has in store for me, I'd rather not have my uterus.

I had to cancel my Thanksgiving dinner plans. :'( I was looking forward to it. The mister isn't going out anywhere--not even to the office--right now because he needs to stay close in case I need a ride somewhere. He's been very supportive of this situation. He even picked up my prescriptions late at night and bought me "girl" products without complaint. He actually offered to do it so I wouldn't have to call my friend. I've never asked him before because that is usually something I prefer to do myself. However, I couldn't leave home long enough to do it. Driving the 10 minute to Urgent Care and getting inside to the lobby without leaving a trail of mess was challenging.

Tina

I would highly recommend getting referred to a gynaecologist and getting tested for polyps etc.

"Things" went really wonky for me for a few years ... every couple weeks instead of every 28 days, massive flooding, etc. I thought it was just perimenopause and dealt with it as best I could until finally I got really frustrated and went to my GP ... who immediately referred me to a gynaecologist who squeezed me into an appointment on December 23, 2014 and I was in surgery in early January 2015.

Polyps filled my uterus and they were found to be precancerous.

Things settled down nicely after they were removed until 2017 when it all flared up again and sure enough another surgery, more polyps and more precancer.

Fortunately things settled again and I finally started "The Big Count" toward 12 months free in February 2020. Unfortunately, "The Big Count" was disrupted in October and now I'm watching how things are going. If I have more disruptions in the next month or two, I'll get tested again to see if the polyps are back.

So it doesn't hurt to get tested ... just in case!

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,432 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 33min 13sec, 3,10ap, 88ahr, 141mhr, 5.25mi= 525c
    Strava app = 636c
    Zwift bike trainer- 42.35min, 440elev, 21.9amph, 137ahr, 167mhr, 15.53mi= 434c
    Strava app = 378c

Total cal 1009
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    Allie - hang in there, your tough and can get through this! Next year you’ll run a marathon!

Fae - I don’t know if I have the type of mind to come up with more words for the song. Dad had the whole thing, I remember something about leaking oil.

Katla - I am praying for a negative result. I feel fine, but so did and does our first resident that is positive. The incubation period is 5-7 days, I was in contact with her on Friday. The most contagious part I learned is the 3 days before symptoms appear. So I was near her at the most contagious time.

Katie - I hope your surgery goes well and you have a speedy recovery. I am always of the opinion that just because others have it worse it doesn’t diminish what you are suffering with at the time. :)

I wonder how those people cook the frozen turkeys that they buy the day before or of when it’s needed. 🤔

Debbie - we haven’t haven’t spent a Christmas with either set of parents since 1996. I don’t know how I would handle it if my girls ever didn’t spend it with us, I might see this year.
    We have hugged our grandchildren and our youngest daughter hugs us as well, they have been kept home from school and any activities to protect us and me especially working in LTC. Now it’s me that has to avoid them.

Tina - I hope they get you fixed up soon. That sounds scary to me.

Masks - I am only allowed to use the paper surgical masks at work. I tried to use a reusable cloth one at home but it set off my claustrophobia terribly.

Michele - I hope you stay safe on your trip, I have learned first hand now how rapidly and easily this virus spreads.
    Wash your hands as often as possible, not just sanitizer. I think I’m your situation I might risk seeing my daughter too.

Suzi -
    Ember is going to be huge I think and very loyal. I hope she remains sweet. My daughter has never owned a dog from a puppy and has been doing an excellent job training her. She sat up the first night until 4am watching training videos on YouTube. They have learned to sit, leave it, and are working on recall. Ember trained herself for going outside.

I don’t see a light yet, just when I think I can do something more to see a light another big expense comes along. Right now it doesn’t help that my husband loses a 1000 a month every winter when he is laid off. This past year his work time was 4 months shorter than normal too.
    Your tax laws are insane! We wouldn’t have to do that here.

Today was a good day at work, busy but good. I have been relaxing this evening, but am about to get to work on another stocking. I am making one for myself and for Rodger.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    <3
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,685 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Tracey ... we are on the same Covid timeframe as you as we deal with my son and his exposure to Covid. Friday was when he was around the housemate who now has Covid. Saturday my son gets another test. As he is disabled, he can’t really quarantine well. But I am washing my hands raw, wearing gloves when needed, and wearing a mask when I help him with meals. He’s staying in his room. My husband, however, is stressing out and thinks he is getting symptoms. He would never admit it, but he does this often. In his defense, we have a lot going on. Hoping you remain Covid free!

I hope you and your husband stay safe too!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    <3

Trcey - thanks for agreeing with me about going to Iowa. I don't think I've ever washed my hands as much as I have on this trip. And I've gotten good at squatting when going to the bathroom. Being a "people " person, this staying away from people is hard for me, but I'm doing it. Jess is making dinner. But we did get to Menards. Wish they were in north Carolina. Maybe being unable to exercise was a blessing in disguise. I did find a positive to these masks. They help to keep your face warm...lol

Beth - all good thoughts for you and your son. Many is the time Vince thinks his not feeling well. What I mean is that it's mostly in his head 😅

Michele nc
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,618 Member
    B)
  • Katla49
    Heather: I’m glad your Zoom meeting turned out well. You do an amazing job of staying in touch with longtime friends. :star:

SuziQ: The teacup orchid is beautiful! I am happy to see you posting again. :flowerforyou:

Pip: Nice calorie burn! :bigsmile:

(((Tracey in Edmonton))): Praying for a negative result from your Covid test. Vaccines are supposedly on their way. They can’t get here too soon. :heart:

(((Bwcetc))): It seems that you and your family are feeling stress. I hope all comes out well for each of you. :flowerforyou:

(((Allie))): I think of you often and hope you are healing well. :heart:

I look forward to a future time when we can go to visit our adult children and grandchildren and they can come to visit us. Right now, it is best for all of us to be snug in our homes with our immediate family members. The good news is that we can facetime or Zoom family & friends, and stay in contact with one another.

• evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 838 Member
    Heather, I do see some lichen as our development is next door to a forest, but that's the only place I see it. I hope I don't ever see it on our roof, as that would be a bad thing!
    Debbie, Yes, I was going to mention there is a LOT of scrolling to do to actually get to the pattern and then when you hit "download" you have to agree to subscribe to the newsletter, which I did. I can always unsubscribe later. There are two ways you can make it, first, with just two layers of fabric, or you can make the filter pocket which is a rectangular piece of fabric that is then folded in half and sewn in between the two layers of the main fabric. You then turn the whole issue inside out and the main fabric will be on the outside with the filter pocket nicely in place inside. The filter pocket material is folded in half, so there are two layers there, plus the two layers of main fabric and then plus a filter, should you decide to use one. I have put in the pocket, but probably won't be bothering with a filter. I figure 4 layers of fabric should be good enough for my needs. I'm not operating and am still social distancing even with a mask.
    Suzi Q, so good to hear from you! And pride may be a sin, but I think you are justified in feeling proud of yourself for digging yourself out of a debt hole, that is an accomplishment! Congrats on the new car, she looks lovely!
    Almost caught up, just had to comment before I forgot what I wanted to say!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • Katla49
    <3