NEAT Improvement Strategies to Improve Weight Loss

Replies

• BMcC9
    BMcC9 Posts: 4,364 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    BMcC9 wrote: »
    I have a 'cobbled from items around the house" stand-option for my work-at-home computer-work desk.

I love this, may need to find a surface to use my laptop while standing. I like the improvisational aspect, too. There's been discussion over on one of the coronavirus threads about ergonomics problems with WFH home office substitutes. MacGyvering some improvements is a really good thought!

I have a great "executive type" desk .... a use-in-bed type lap tray is stood on top, which brings the (wireless) keyboard to the right height for me. two extra thick-binders with some books on top brings the (wireless) mouse up. One screen had sufficient telescopic adjustment (plus tilt) and the other sits on a coffee table book (doesn't telescope as high on its own as the first one) plus tilt. Everything hooks up via docking station, so laptop just sits off to the side out of the way.

An exercise / anti-fatigue mat under my feet.

I maybe do half-sitting / half standing through the day.

According to the ergonomic people ... if you can onto a separate-from the laptop full sized keyboard, that is best for long-term.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    regarding the '50's housewife vibe'...this is suppose to be a typical day in the life...

Daily Schedule for the 50’s Housewife:

Throw back the covers
    Open up the blinds and windows
    Freshen up
    Make and serve breakfast
    Clean up breakfast
    Complete a 10-minute exercise regime
    Shower, do hair and makeup, get dressed
    Gather a basket for tidying. As the rooms of the home are tackled, pick up items that aren’t where they belong and place them in a basket. Redistribute them where they should be as you enter a new room
    Straighten up the living and dining room, including picking up potential clutter, light dusting, fluffing/straightening pillows, and watering plants or flowers
    Make the beds
    Tidy the bedroom, including light dusting
    Hang up any clothes that may be about or ensure dirty ones are in the hamper
    Do a light tidy of the bathroom including removing and replacing used towels, refilling toilet paper and soap (if needed) and cleaning the sink and basin area including soap dishes
    Review the menu for the current day and the next and compare it to what’s currently available in the home. Make note of anything that needs to be prepared ahead of time or marketing (shopping) that needs to get done
    Begin long-advance preparations for dinner (such as making dessert)
    Wipe down kitchen work surfaces and inside the fridge
    Dispose of garbage
    Rinse dish cloths and hang to dry
    Sweep or mop the kitchen floor
    Handle errands that might take you out of the home (such as marketing, volunteering, going to the post office, getting an item fixed, etc), bookkeeping, correspondence, or indulge in a hobby
    If returning from the grocery store, wash vegetables, wrap them and put them away. Place rest of groceries or purchases in their proper place
    Have a quick lunch
    Start advance food conditioning like crisping vegetables or thawing frozen foods
    Handle weekly chore for the day (more on that below)
    Set the table for dinner
    Arrange the living room for evening enjoyment (such as “the Mister’s” newspaper, book, and cigarettes)
    Do a quick sweep of the floors and ensure entrance ways are clear
    Prepare a special dish for dinner
    Freshen up before the husband returns from work. Consider changing into something more festive if the day dress is plain😆
    Set out a tray with equipment for making cocktails, should “the Mister” want to serve drinks before dinner
    Greet husband “gayly” (omg..🤣.)
    Serve dinner
    Clear table and wash dishes
    Pour boiling water down the sink to ensure pipes are flushed
    If necessary, pack the husband’s lunch for the next day.🤣🤣 Set aside a lunch tray in the refrigerator for yourself if having leftovers
    Set table for breakfast
    Ensure breakfast foods are available and do any make-ahead preparations for it
    Enjoy an evening of relaxation

Also, each day there is a once-a-week chore to tackle, such as:

Use metal polish on bathroom fixtures
    Clean and disinfect all kitchen appliances
    Scald and disinfect bread boxes and garbage pails and bins
    Replace flowers with fresh bouquets

Plus...snacking rarely happened - portions were smaller - less sugar - all meals were homemade

WOW
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    I have a desk cycle, so instead of sitting around when I do my nightly computer work/watching tv/browsing internet, I casually cycle for some extra burn.
    v3rafaho1292.png

I've been using one like these for years. Usually 60 minutes while I watch TV at my desk.
  • BMcC9
    bump - now that we are into the fall
  • I take the stairs always, Rarely do i used the elevator, I work on the 3rd floor i take the stairs, I park on the 2-6 floor i take the stairs, I do park far from the door, And just try to do what i can to move, I walk around brushing my teeth my husband hates that lol, I do squats while my daughter goes potty or when i am standing and thinking about it lol
  • BMcC9
    bump - lots of good "ninja sneak-attack" ideas for burning small packets of calories almost while you aren't looking. Ah, the magic of metabolic "compound interest" ....
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    I always take the stairs. It amazes me how most healthy young people will take the elevator for as small as 1-2 levels.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,114 Member
    Back in the Before Times when we could see people in person, I was at a training. I usually take stairs when I can; there's just not many in my life. As I recall, it was shortly after I got to my goal weight or just before. We were doing a water audit in a large multi-floor hotel. We were going to visit a room on the 7th floor. One of my colleagues asked about stairs, and off she went. I followed. I found out later it wasn't that she was trying to burn more calories, but that elevators make her get vertigo.

Oh well. I got to climb and descend several floors anyway. Sometimes it's hard to FIND the stairs up, and they're often secured from entry on the main floor.

Here's one I noticed the other day. Probably almost a wash as far as calories go, and that might be a pun. I like to cook. I hate doing dishes. Instead of using my food processor to cut in the butter to the flour, I used a pastry cutter. A bit more physical work, but so much easier to clean. But how many more calories did I miss by not having to wash the food processor?

Does it count that I used my marble rolling pin (heavy) instead of wood? I sincerely doubt it.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,420 Member
    I always take the stairs. It amazes me how most healthy young people will take the elevator for as small as 1-2 levels.

Way back when, at the Navy hospital I worked in, we had to take the stairs up one flight and down two. I still take the stairs of my current hospital almost daily
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Back in the Before Times when we could see people in person, I was at a training. I usually take stairs when I can; there's just not many in my life. As I recall, it was shortly after I got to my goal weight or just before. We were doing a water audit in a large multi-floor hotel. We were going to visit a room on the 7th floor. One of my colleagues asked about stairs, and off she went. I followed. I found out later it wasn't that she was trying to burn more calories, but that elevators make her get vertigo.

Oh well. I got to climb and descend several floors anyway. Sometimes it's hard to FIND the stairs up, and they're often secured from entry on the main floor.

Here's one I noticed the other day. Probably almost a wash as far as calories go, and that might be a pun. I like to cook. I hate doing dishes. Instead of using my food processor to cut in the butter to the flour, I used a pastry cutter. A bit more physical work, but so much easier to clean. But how many more calories did I miss by not having to wash the food processor?

Does it count that I used my marble rolling pin (heavy) instead of wood? I sincerely doubt it.

Every tiny calorie helps, whether you can count 'em or see 'em on the scale or not, sez Pollyanna over here.

Fidgety people, as observed elsewhere in the thread (I think! 😆) can potentially burn, it's estimated, something in the low hundreds of calories more daily than otherwise similar very physically placid people. So, yep, use the pastry cutter, use the heavy rolling pin . . . heck, do some calf raises while you're wielding the rolling pin.
  • BMcC9
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Here's one I noticed the other day. ...

It might not make much difference on a singe day ... but neither would "squats while waiting for microwave to re-heat coffee" ... yet over time, the difference would add up ... think of it as "arm and wrist strengthening" (do some bicep curls or lateral arm raises with the extra weight as you remove it from the cupboard / after washing just before you put it away ...
  • BMcC9
    bump
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,286 Member
    I strive to be productive and to get things done that need to get done. It takes moving to be that kind of person.
    I don't look at it as getting in my steps or exercising.. Of course carving out exercise time seems normal to me..and I do.

But, walking laps around my house and doing lunges while I fold laundry wouldn't be normal for me.

However, it is a great post to help all of us to examine our routines to see if we are sitting too much .. watching too much t.v. being sedentary.