What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,736 Member
    edited November 2020
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I really do not like to go to restaurants. Even if it is take out I much prefer to eat at home

Conversely, I like to eat out and think there is nothing wrong about a person eating in a restaurant on their own. - Well, if they can afford it. (Same about going to the cinema alone, but this is a food-thread...)
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Personally, I think Cool Whip tastes awful, and has a revolting texture. Usually, it ruins any recipe it's added to, too, for me; there's an occasional recipe exception.

I get that others really like it, but I've never understood why. (I was 11 years old when it was introduced. It was immediately and immensely popular. Part of the reason was convenience, but a lot of people liked it. Originally, in my social set, people would still make actual whipped cream for holidays and special occasions as a topping, using Cool Whip in the more routine cases. Gradually, it replaced whipped cream on special occasions, too.)
    Cool Whip is an American brand of that ready whipped cream in a can, right? - The stuff I had before (different brand, probably not quite the same) is ok, but nothing like actual whipped cream (or coconut whipped cream, either). - I have never seen anybody use that stuff for anything but very "lazy" occasions, though. (Or for kids' birthdays. I guess if you stressed about everything else you dont want to add whipping cream for hot chocolate or cake for 15 kids of whom then suddenly only 5 want whipped cream..)

No, Cool Whip is a concoction that comes frozen, in a plastic tub. The stuff in cans usually bears some taste/texture similarity to whipped cream: It's edible. Cool Whip is more a distant hint.

There are various subtypes of Cool Whip, but the ingredients in the classic one are:
    Water, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Skim Milk, Contains Less Than 2% Of Light Cream, Sodium Caseinate (From Milk), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Xanthan And Guar Gums, Modified Food Starch, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Monostearate, Sodium Polyphosphate, Beta Carotene (Color).

As someone else said, it has an odd oily quality, and is viscous, plastic-y, super sweet. Different product by far from whipped cream in cans.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I really do not like to go to restaurants. Even if it is take out I much prefer to eat at home

Same! I would much rather eat my own food any day.

Add me to the mix when it comes to the typical 'chain' type places...however, I love going to some of the authentic, international restaurants (Ethiopian/Lebanese/Indian, Japanese etc., ).
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    515l2z1dcz54.png
    like this looks great
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I love pork chops and tenderloin (they tend to have more fat when purchased from a farm, IME, due to the different breeds used, but I also don't have some kind of blanket preference for fattier meat, depends on what I'm making). Having pork shoulder tonight, however. (Bacon and ham are tasty enough, but foods I don't have often and don't really miss.)

For me ground lamb, ground beef, and ground pork are all good, and it depends on the application.

Okay, yes to pork shoulder too. basicall, the fattier it is the better, Have just had way too many dry chops and loins

Ah, we part company here: I've never been fond of pork, and I've found that sometimes I have a negative reaction to it anyway. And I dislike fatty meat. For me it's lean all the way.
  • AndreaTamira
    AndreaTamira Posts: 272 Member

No, Cool Whip is a concoction that comes frozen, in a plastic tub. The stuff in cans usually bears some taste/texture similarity to whipped cream: It's edible. Cool Whip is more a distant hint.

There are various subtypes of Cool Whip, but the ingredients in the classic one are:
    Water, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Coconut And Palm Kernel Oils), Skim Milk, Contains Less Than 2% Of Light Cream, Sodium Caseinate (From Milk), Natural And Artificial Flavor, Xanthan And Guar Gums, Modified Food Starch, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Monostearate, Sodium Polyphosphate, Beta Carotene (Color).

As someone else said, it has an odd oily quality, and is viscous, plastic-y, super sweet. Different product by far from whipped cream in cans.
    senalay788 wrote: »
    150618.jpg

And as other have stated, its f'ing gross.

Thanks guys. Everytime I read Cool Whip in the past I imagined the whipped cream in a can stuff. Now I know better. This seems...interesting.

• Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited November 2020

150618.jpg

Thanks guys. Everytime I read Cool Whip in the past I imagined the whipped cream in a can stuff. Now I know better. This seems...interesting.

I refused to eat cool whip or whipped cream as a kid because I hated it. I actually can never remember even trying cool whip until I tried it a few months ago for the first time. It is like a SUPER light version of soft serve almost. It reminded me a lot more of ice cream than the whipped cream in a can. I always imagined it would just taste like whipped cream from a can but in a big tub, lol.
  • leahjones6969
    leahjones6969 Posts: 1 Member
    I absolutely despise cheese in any form
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,736 Member

150618.jpg

You're being much too kind to it here, trust me.

glassyo wrote: »

Conversely, I like to eat out and think there is nothing wrong about a person eating in a restaurant on their own. - Well, if they can afford it. (Same about going to the cinema alone, but this is a food-thread...)
    Personally, I think Cool Whip tastes awful, and has a revolting texture. Usually, it ruins any recipe it's added to, too, for me; there's an occasional recipe exception.

I get that others really like it, but I've never understood why. (I was 11 years old when it was introduced. It was immediately and immensely popular. Part of the reason was convenience, but a lot of people liked it. Originally, in my social set, people would still make actual whipped cream for holidays and special occasions as a topping, using Cool Whip in the more routine cases. Gradually, it replaced whipped cream on special occasions, too.)
    Cool Whip is an American brand of that ready whipped cream in a can, right? - The stuff I had before (different brand, probably not quite the same) is ok, but nothing like actual whipped cream (or coconut whipped cream, either). - I have never seen anybody use that stuff for anything but very "lazy" occasions, though. (Or for kids' birthdays. I guess if you stressed about everything else you dont want to add whipping cream for hot chocolate or cake for 15 kids of whom then suddenly only 5 want whipped cream..)

150618.jpg

*cough* I kinda like it.

And adding sugar free fat free cheesecake pudding mix is, dare I say it, a game changer.

IMO only, it's not like double negatives in grammer: Adding two non-food products together does not create a food.

And I say this from a personal taste/texture desirability perspective on what consitute "food", not from any kind of "cleanness", dietary "purity", or health/nutrition standpoint. I freely admit eating things that are "unclean", not dietarily "pure", make no meaningful contribution to health/nutrition . . . if they taste good and feel nice in my mouth.

I admit, I haven't had *cheesecake" flavor, but I've had other sugar free fat free pudding mix, and I would like never ever to have any again, please and thank you. Most cheesecake "flavored" things I've tried have been regretted, too.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I absolutely despise cheese in any form

GASP
  • pancakerunner
    soft shell tacos > hard
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Kale should be eradicated from the planet

Facts!!

• southheadstef
    southheadstef Posts: 50 Member
    (To cwolfman13) I agree about doughnuts- unless they are hot and rolled in cinnamon and sugar! Easy to resist, anyway ;)
  • pancakerunner
    getitamb wrote: »
    I’d rather never eat a cookie again than eat fat free or sugar free Oreos.

Yep!
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    soft shell tacos > hard

preach!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    soft shell tacos > hard

Yes, but you still have to cook the soft tortillas, even for a few seconds in a pan or on the grill.
    Big pet peeve of mine is when people just serve them raw right out of the package.

I feel attacked 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

• pancakerunner
    soft shell tacos > hard

Yes, but you still have to cook the soft tortillas, even for a few seconds in a pan or on the grill.
    Big pet peeve of mine is when people just serve them raw right out of the package.

on this note, corn tortillas are the only way. flour tortillas are an abomination