Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Back to shopping, I've had no issues getting paper products, but 2 stores in a row failed to have butternut squash. These were both delivery, so I wondered if the shopper just didn't find it, but perhaps there is a Thanksgiving-related run on it. I got kabocha as a substitute from the second place, so that's just as good for my purposes anyway.

I was at my local apple farm last week and they had an unbelievable amount of butternut squash. Mounds and mounds. Wish I'd taken a picture. It grows well here in MA. One year Mom got 80 squashes out of 4 plants. Probably not an option for your garden space though - it needs a LOT of room.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Back to shopping, I've had no issues getting paper products, but 2 stores in a row failed to have butternut squash. These were both delivery, so I wondered if the shopper just didn't find it, but perhaps there is a Thanksgiving-related run on it. I got kabocha as a substitute from the second place, so that's just as good for my purposes anyway.

I was at my local apple farm last week and they had an unbelievable amount of butternut squash. Mounds and mounds. Wish I'd taken a picture. It grows well here in MA. One year Mom got 80 squashes out of 4 plants. Probably not an option for your garden space though - it needs a LOT of room.

Yeah, I'd love to plant winter squash, but I have a bitty back yard.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,846 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Just turned on the TV and the NY Macy's Thanksgiving day parade is on. Only saw one float before going to ad and writing this. But, for that float with handlers walking shoulder to shoulder and only a few feet apart, no one had on a mask. How is this permitted? Don't say testing, because in any other situation, testing would not be deemed adaquate. So tired of the do as I say........

From what I understand... there are no handlers this year... all the floats are being driven by one person in a car. No one is there in a crowd at all.

ETA- https://www.macys.com/social/parade/

@chef_barbell That's good news. I have no idea what was on the TV then. I was annoyed so I turned it off.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    28 is impressive but hospital customes by default tend to be disease carriers.
  • SModa61
    kimny72 wrote: »
    For what it's worth, Pentatonix just posted pictures on FB from the parade, and they and everyone randomly in the background are wearing masks, so I guess it was just for their parade tv appearances that masks were removed.

Completely off topic, but if you're feeling kind of empty and unholidayish right now, hop over to the you tubes and find Pentatonix Amazing Grace video. It wakes the ol' human emotions right up :smile:

@kimny It is sounding like I saw some other odd broadcast. Do they do parade re-runs? Anyhow, apologies if I made a false claim. Would not be my intent. I was so irritated I turned it off.
  • SModa61
    New topic - who is going black friday shopping after quarantining for Thanksgiving? :P

Obviously, not me. I will be venturing into the very empty grocery store for like five key items.

I guess this was a topic in this morning's paper. Hubby was chatting with me about it. I guess the article was noting how there are lots of instructions regarding limiting holiday visitations, but comparatively little chat about not swamping the stores tomorrow.
  • kshama2001
    New topic - who is going black friday shopping after quarantining for Thanksgiving? :P

Obviously, not me. I will be venturing into the very empty grocery store for like five key items.

I guess this was a topic in this morning's paper. Hubby was chatting with me about it. I guess the article was noting how there are lots of instructions regarding limiting holiday visitations, but comparatively little chat about not swamping the stores tomorrow.

No in person Black Friday shopping for me, but then, I probably haven't done that at all this century ;)

I was at my Walmart Tuesday night for pecans (supermarket was out) and normally they are more prepped for Black Friday - start putting up foot traffic control thingys outside, etc., but there was nothing prestaged. Inside, I heard an announcement that the store would be closed all day Thursday which is unusual - lately they've been starting Black Friday late Thursday.

My Walmart is only a mile away - I might drive by tomorrow to see what's going on. (An actual drive-by; nothing would get me in the store.)

When are you flying down to FL? This weekend?
  • SModa61

No in person Black Friday shopping for me, but then, I probably haven't done that at all this century ;)

I was at my Walmart Tuesday night for pecans (supermarket was out) and normally they are more prepped for Black Friday - start putting up foot traffic control thingys outside, etc., but there was nothing prestaged. Inside, I heard an announcement that the store would be closed all day Thursday which is unusual - lately they've been starting Black Friday late Thursday.

My Walmart is only a mile away - I might drive by tomorrow to see what's going on. (An actual drive-by; nothing would get me in the store.)

@kshama2001 I have a walmart about a mile way as well. Maybe I'll do the same. Hey, maybe we are neighbors. :P

Glad your husband had gotten your pecans. I did strategic shopping all last week to limit exposure for family members today. On Monday, I did do an online curbside pickup for a few missing items. But that's it. Could not land a rapid COVID test for Tuesday.

I am very impressed with your memory. Yes, bad timing, we are traveling to Florida on Saturday to check on the repair of our property. I have masks, gloves, wipes, sanitizing gels, googles, seat covers. Hoping this will not be regretted.
  • kshama2001

@kshama2001 I have a walmart about a mile way as well. Maybe I'll do the same. Hey, maybe we are neighbors. :P

Glad your husband had gotten your pecans. I did strategic shopping all last week to limit exposure for family members today. On Monday, I did do an online curbside pickup for a few missing items. But that's it. Could not land a rapid COVID test for Tuesday.

I am very impressed with your memory. Yes, bad timing, we are traveling to Florida on Saturday to check on the repair of our property. I have masks, gloves, wipes, sanitizing gels, googles, seat covers. Hoping this will not be regretted.

You stick in my memory because we are in the same state (and I used to live in FL,) but IIRC you are on the North Shore and I am South :)

Keep us posted on your trip. I'm wishing you the best and curious as to how well people adhere to regulations in the airports and airplanes in both states.
  • lemurcat2

Heh, I don't believe I ever have. I have an intense hatred for crowded stores.

Definitely not this year, of course.

I may buy some stuff online, but because it's assumed no one is really doing anything for Thanksgiving I have work stuff I need to do, so it will be a diversion from that.
  • lemurcat2

Aren't stores limited in how many can go in? Ours are limited to 25% capacity.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    I have never done Black Friday in my life and don't intend to start this year. DH has some prescriptions waiting at Walmart, but they'll have to wait until Monday or Tuesday, because I am not going near the place this weekend.

It was interesting running around the neighborhood this afternoon. A lot fewer family gatherings than usual. More people out working on their yards, setting up Christmas decorations etc. Some small family groups out walking and enjoying the beautiful day. We have a lot of older people around us, and my sense was that many were spending the holiday alone. Our next door neighbor said she is so tired, she didn't want to see anybody this year, even family. One neighbor had a good sized party last night They have teenagers and seem to have a big get together every month or so. While walking the dog, we ran into everyone heading home.