Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    edited November 2020
    (Retracted: Not a good idea.)
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Alex wrote: »
    Happy Thanksgiving! Quick reminder to stay civil, avoid delving into politics, be respectful and no promoting conspiracy theories.

Sorry trying not to laugh. Some people don't know what reality is. Everyone is not out to get you you know. Read the scientific facts. Go visit a hospital to see this is not all bull twaddle , see what the nurses are going through. Then be of use instead of a dumbass to those in need if at all possible. Get your blinders off. Get vaccinated when you are able to to stop the spread if you want a "normal" life ever again or deal with it never being how it was again if most won't get the vaccine. Have fun, I won't be there. Yay. I'll stay here.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,829 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    New topic - who is going black friday shopping after quarantining for Thanksgiving? :P

Obviously, not me. I will be venturing into the very empty grocery store for like five key items.

I guess this was a topic in this morning's paper. Hubby was chatting with me about it. I guess the article was noting how there are lots of instructions regarding limiting holiday visitations, but comparatively little chat about not swamping the stores tomorrow.

No in person Black Friday shopping for me, but then, I probably haven't done that at all this century ;)

I was at my Walmart Tuesday night for pecans (supermarket was out) and normally they are more prepped for Black Friday - start putting up foot traffic control thingys outside, etc., but there was nothing prestaged. Inside, I heard an announcement that the store would be closed all day Thursday which is unusual - lately they've been starting Black Friday late Thursday.

My Walmart is only a mile away - I might drive by tomorrow to see what's going on. (An actual drive-by; nothing would get me in the store.)

When are you flying down to FL? This weekend?

@kshama2001 I have a walmart about a mile way as well. Maybe I'll do the same. Hey, maybe we are neighbors. :P

Glad your husband had gotten your pecans. I did strategic shopping all last week to limit exposure for family members today. On Monday, I did do an online curbside pickup for a few missing items. But that's it. Could not land a rapid COVID test for Tuesday.

I am very impressed with your memory. Yes, bad timing, we are traveling to Florida on Saturday to check on the repair of our property. I have masks, gloves, wipes, sanitizing gels, googles, seat covers. Hoping this will not be regretted.

You stick in my memory because we are in the same state (and I used to live in FL,) but IIRC you are on the North Shore and I am South :)

Keep us posted on your trip. I'm wishing you the best and curious as to how well people adhere to regulations in the airports and airplanes in both states.

I'll certainly be happy to share my observations as we travel.

I do recall you are also in Mass. I did not know or remember you were from Florida, and sounds like we don't share our Walmart. :P
  • mockchoc
    edited November 2020
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Interesting to see QANTAS - Australian airline - has stated they will have a policy of no jab, no fly ( a reference to no jab, no pay family assistance payments) once international flights re commence.

Details to be decided - obviously dependant on vaccine restrictions - I expect it will be vaccine or produce medical exemption documentation.

I also think it highly likely Australia will make it compulsory for incomers - either Australians going over seas and returning and visitors, to be vaccinated unless medically exempt.

A precedent already exists for this sort of policy with Yellow fever.
    One can be an Australian and visit countries where yellow fever is a risk - but you must have the vaccine first or quarantine on return.

I think it highly likely NZ will have a similar policy. At the very least I expect there will be a requirement for anyone unvaccinated to quarantine on arrival, at their own cost.

I also find it hilarious that some people are complaining about a private company (Qantas) daring to set its own rules.

I love Qantas! I was in the outback a few months ago and went to where it all began at their founders museum. That was amazing. We saw all the old planes and stuff. So happy they are doing this to keep us safe too.
  • SModa61
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    New topic - who is going black friday shopping after quarantining for Thanksgiving? :P

Obviously, not me. I will be venturing into the very empty grocery store for like five key items.

I guess this was a topic in this morning's paper. Hubby was chatting with me about it. I guess the article was noting how there are lots of instructions regarding limiting holiday visitations, but comparatively little chat about not swamping the stores tomorrow.

Aren't stores limited in how many can go in? Ours are limited to 25% capacity.

I wonder if the capacity limits are a regional thing. That was the case here in Mass back in the Spring/Summer. I have not seen capacity counters in stores for a while. I personally am like @Kshama2001, I intentionally avoid black friday shopping and do not even recall ever shopping that day.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Dnarules wrote: »
    We're done except for the turkey. My husband's buying it now. He sent me a picture.... absolutely no toilet paper or paper towels today. We are near Winston Salem, NC.

Did a run for bird seed at Fleet Farm (birds have to eat too) and did a Target run for TP as long as I was out. Very low on paper products (I got the last Up and Up multi pack toilet paper). The cashier and I chatted about it. She said it was flying off the shelves.

At Fleet Farm, the Salvation Army bell ringer was there. I had about a dollars worth of change in my jacket pocket. I haven’t had much cash at all since covid. I’m pretty much using my debit card. Have plenty it change at home. I’ll have to make an effort to remember to fill my pockets.

Maybe the Salvation Army should adapt to changing times. That bell ringer needs to have a portable card machine. This year they sent me am envelope in the mail asking me to send a donation by cheque.
  • mockchoc

I wonder if the capacity limits are a regional thing. That was the case here in Mass back in the Spring/Summer. I have not seen capacity counters in stores for a while. I personally am like @Kshama2001, I intentionally avoid black friday shopping and do not even recall ever shopping that day.

Do you ever read anyone's advice? I asked could you stay somewhere else so you didn't get Covid from your husband and also about travelling .. I give up. Sorry you didn't listen and got it though. I really am. Glad it's a minor case. Big hugs.
  • TonyB0588
    mockchoc wrote: »
    I'm glad I live where there is no Covid because I have allergy issues 24/7 365 days a year pretty badly so everyone would think I have Covid with all my coughing and sneezing :( Over it really.

I have a neighbor who sneezes loudly every day. We can hear her in her house when we're in ours, and we make a big joke about it because we know she was like that before COVID19.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Many stores are limiting the type of limited-time/quantity deals that tend to create Black Friday congestion or moving to online promotions.
  • TonyB0588
    So I have a question for any Australians out there: if dog walking is banned, where are dogs supposed to do their business? Not everyone has a yard...

Interesting question!! I wouldn't have expected a person without a yard to own a dog.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    So I have a question for any Australians out there: if dog walking is banned, where are dogs supposed to do their business? Not everyone has a yard...

Interesting question!! I wouldn't have expected a person without a yard to own a dog.

I live in a sixth story apartment with a dog. There are a lot of dogs in my building.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

Yes, they are regional, but I would have thought they were pretty common.

Like I said above, I have ALWAYS avoided Black Friday. Awful custom.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited November 2020

I live in a sixth story apartment with a dog. There are a lot of dogs in my building.

To add to this, I live in a house now, but I used to have neighbors with dogs in my condo building, and they are common even in high rises here, and certainly quite common in rentals and condos in general.
  • SModa61

Half of new york city seems to own a dog and certainly no yards.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    I dont think it would be that rare for someone to own a small dog in an apartment (granted, a doberman probably not a good idea :* ) - but anyway for the 3 days of super lockdown, you would take your dog downstairs to the outside area of your building, or the footpath (sidewalk) if there were no specific outside area, it does its poo, you bag it up, and go back inside.

Given that South Australia is fairly low density housing, the scenario of dog owning in apartments probably doesn't apply to many of us.

But if it did,that's what you would do.

Interestingly, this question didnt come up in all the FYI sites or lists of FAQ's I read - either it didnt apply to enough South Australians to get asked or they could figure it out for themselves without having to ask.