50+ women getting ready for 2021!

Replies

• bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    This might be the place to ask some like minded ladies:
    Is anyone weighing their food? I just bought a scale, it’s set to grams but where do I find how much everything should weigh? Like proteins and veggies etc? I have looked on internet and can’t find too much. I am on a 1600 calories macro meal plan, I think. Do I sound new and helpless??? Hahaha...help, is anyone can. 😁

Hey girl! There is a lot of great info if you scan through the "Getting started" forums :) I do weigh my food. It is a game changer! A serving in grams should be on containers. Just verify it matches up to whatever entry you are using. How much you should be eating depends on your own personal calorie goals. For produce, you can look for USDA entries in the food database here. Those entries should be pretty accurate :)
  • Pharmgirl19692020
    Pharmgirl19692020 Posts: 14 Member
    @MicheleWeiss617 I had to go into the Health app on my iPhone and set it up there. To be honest, I had to use a YouTube video to show me...lol
  • Pharmgirl19692020
    Pharmgirl19692020 Posts: 14 Member
    @naughtoncarol231 I was the exact same!! Kinda depressing go isn’t it? I did a whole week of not changing my meals and recorded everything. I was over by 1000 or more each day. Going to be totally honest here, it really disgusted me. So the next day I cut out one thing that stood out on the daily tracker. Then tell things the day after and slowly I am down to only 100-200 over. I am still trying to figure out the portion and macro parts but a start is a start. So I am behind the whole way, we can do this slow start together!!
    Sue
  • Joyfulandactive
    Joyfulandactive Posts: 111 Member
    P.S. I started on Monday (2 days ago) and have already lost 2lbs!!
  • Joyfulandactive
    M3Kindschi wrote: »
    I would LOVE to join this group but will be the BIG 50 on 3/1/21!!! Will you PLEASE accept me?

😄 Yes of course! Let's say 50ish 😉
  • kekhare
    kekhare Posts: 4 Member
    Hello. I'm Kim, live in the US and interested in having more energy and being fit as I get older - count me in too!!
  • ndessels
    ndessels Posts: 2 Member
    Hello I'm Nicolette, I had a health scare in August and have decided to do something about it. Need to loose a lot of weight but have been walking my 10000 steps a day or bike riding 2 - 3 times a week still a long way to go but must say I'm enjoying the journey. I last weighed this much back in 2001.
  • Joyfulandactive
    My husband bought me Stilton cheese (blue cheese) and crackers in bed this morning, so started my day on the naughty side but it was sooo good! 😄 I have finally started the MFP food diary and have been walking each day.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    I’m watching the final of the Great British Baking Show. Good thing I saved calories for pie tonight!
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    My husband bought me Stilton cheese (blue cheese) and crackers in bed this morning, so started my day on the naughty side but it was sooo good! 😄 I have finally started the MFP food diary and have been walking each day.

Cheese is my down fall but it's just so yummy
  • Joyfulandactive
    Cheese is my down fall but it's just so yummy[/quote]

Agreed! I definitely stay away from cheese when losing weight, other than a sprinkling to add flavor occasionally. My husband was so sweet, and brought me tea too, so didn't want to be rude 😄 it wasn't too much either. That became my breakfast and I stayed within my 1200 for the day.

• RunningMaven57
    RunningMaven57 Posts: 24 Member
    I just turned 60 this month and have been in a funk for way too long. Definitely interested in joining this group to get back on track.
  • RunningMaven57
    RunningMaven57 Posts: 24 Member
    So many inspiring women here!

A little about me:

This November I turned 60, a milestone marking the end of one decade and the start of another. My 50’s kicked off by my having a hysterectomy and ooperectomy, putting me straight into post menopause enduring hot flashes and all the other stuff that goes along with it. Somehow, I rallied through it, completed my graduate degree in organizational leadership, lost 30 lbs., and felt great. At 55 I started running marathons, finishing 7 over the past five years, and I quit drinking, now coming up on 6 years sober, achievements I’m very proud of. However, all wasn’t well for me personally. I was in a job I hated (a job I once was in love with), my father became ill with terminal cancer, and I got caught up with all the negativity associated with Facebook, packing back on the 30lbs along with some extra. Running no longer controlled the weight, because as one nutritionist told me, “You can’t exercise to overcome a bad diet.”

In April of last year, I retired from my job after 35 years with the company. It was the best decision I made in a long time. After completing my last marathon, I had to stop running, due to chronic injuries I’d been ignoring, losing my “go to” stress reliever, putting me in a very dark and lonely place. This past September, realizing my 60th was approaching, I came face to face with the realization I didn’t love who I’d become. While I’m so fortunate and blessed to have a husband who is so supportive of my goals, I realized I wasn’t going to change myself until I found my way back to loving me again. It was a wake up call I needed, though getting started was hard!

Throughout October, I began journaling again, writing my feelings down along with my dreams. I bought a Dreambook journal from Dragon Apothecary for 2021, and started planning, really planning, what I want 2021 and beyond to be like. November 1 marked bigger changes, as I’ve used my birthday month to focus on learning to love me again, not as a perfectionist, but by becoming the person who truly strives to live the values I claim to aspire to.

This has been hard. It started with severing ties with Facebook, an app I was spending up to 8 hours a day on! Ugh! Like when I quit drinking, that’s been a “one day at a time” achievement, and the benefits have been huge! I’m now sleeping 8 hours a night for the first time in years and I feel I have energy! I also started gratitude journaling, writing down each night all the things that happened during the day I’m grateful for. Along with this I’ve been exercising daily and setting small daily goals, like only eat at mealtimes or trying new exercises. Now I’m working on my diet, eliminating all processed sugars, something that’s been hard to do while helping our son and dil with child care during COVID-19.

Weight wise I haven’t seen much change yet, but I expect that to happen. I look forward to gaining inspiration from this group and hope through our collective journeys we all find the self love and forgiveness needed to make the changes we’re committing to last our lifetimes!