WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2020

Replies

• Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    B)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,877 Member
    :)Rita feeling guilty is a waste of energy and cuts you off from the sunlight of life. When you start to feel guilty, tell your head to "shut up"

:) After years of going out to lunch once a month with members of one of my line dance classes, I realized that I didn't like going so I told them that it just wasn't fun for me. In other situations, I say that I am not available. I give no explanation of why.

:) If someone gives me a gift, I thank them. I do not give a gift in return nor do I feel guilty for receiving without giving. I assume that the gift was given for a kind or loving reason and not to make me feel bad

<3 Barbie from NW WA
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello everyone.

I received my 10-year anniversary present from work. I will say I love it. The touchscreen is not overly sensitive which is wonderful. The only thing driving me crazy is the control and function keys are located in a weird position. I have to retain my fingers from my work laptop to my personal laptop. I also decided to use MS Office 360 for now. MS still has not priced out downloadable personal versions of 360 which I would prefer. Hopefully, MS prices out soon.

My diet has been a train wreck. I have not been honestly recording everything and have been eating what I want, when I want it. I have gain 6 pounds over the past 3 months!! Starting Monday I am getting back to basics. I did not work my butt off for 9 months only to put back all of the weight I lost.

For those of you who have Netflix I watched “The Queen’s Gambit”. It was scripted well and it reminded me of watching the chess tournaments on TV during the 70s.

Pip – When I travel I not longer pick up little trinkets. I buy regional spices wherever I go, including travel within the US. After my visit to Mexico I researched Mole. I was surprised how different and complex the recipes can be from family to family and region to region.

Ginny – When my grandmother made chicken soup she would make both rice and noodles and kept them separate from the soup. We could select what we wanted (if at all).

Lisa – The bankruptcy attorney let me know ahead of time of the “income” ramifications of negotiating the debt. It does make sense though – we got something for that credit and by erasing some it we are getting something for “free”. Like you I ended up in a higher tax bracket, but that penalty was/is much smaller than the actual debt I owed. So happy and sending positive thoughts this “IS” the last round of antibiotics.

Barbara – Sorry to hear about your cousin’s passing, your friend moving, and your other friend’s puppy. I agree with you regarding 2020, but I remember hoping for a new year at the end of last and look what I wished for……

Lanette – Lemon squares were Charlie’s favorites. 😊

Barbie – Many moons ago I too told all friends and family – no presents. It is quite a relief not having to worry about shopping, wrapping, running myself ragged, etc. If I see something someone would like I buy it and give it to them. I think it’s more enjoyable giving someone something for no reason.

Rita – Good for you. I am glad you’re feeling better no keeping things bottled up. I am sorry your daughter was not receptive. Honestly, that is on her; not you. It’s my hope she thinks things over and has a change of heart. Big hug to you.

The night is still young and I must think about what I will have for dinner. Not very hungry but must eat something or I will ravished tomorrow morning.

Best to all,
    SuziQ – SFL
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited November 2020
    Michele The cops aren't after me, that photo was a joke I photoshopped. It is my whacky sense of humor because my new top with the built-in mask makes me look like an old west bank robber. It gave me something to do today other than house chores or that frustrating bowling app. I spent the last two days helping a friend with her outdoor Christmas lights. This may be the last year I do them for her as it is way too much work and I hurt too much afterward.

The good news is today millions of doses of the Covid vaccine were loaded on planes headed to key locations and ready for distribution by the military.

Just for grins one of my favorite joke stories

Fae finishes her beer at the town tavern/cafe and goes out to discover her horse is missing. She walks back inside and fires her revolver in the ceiling. She says loudly, "If my horse isn't returned by the time I drink one more beer, then I am going to do WHAT I DID IN TEXAS! I don't want to do what I did in Texas, I really don't, but if I have too I will. PLEASE don't make me do what I did in Texas when my horse was stolen and not returned. PLEASE!

Fae finishes her beer and walks out to discover her horse has been returned. She was ready to mount when the bartender/cook comes out. "Please tell me, Ms. Fae, I am so curious, what horrible thing did you have to do in Texas?"

"I had to walk home," Fae said quietly as she mounted and rode off.

Fae
    xxrqaf1ma1ut.jpg

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,929 Member
    Fae: You are a caution! 😂

I’m having access problems on my iPad, and the mobile is too fiddly for comments.

And it almost 1am.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    edited November 2020
    Christmas Presents -- My family has agreed not to exchange Christmas presents. We weren't doing much in recent years anyway, so stopping all together wasn't a big leap.

We're all adults and can get exactly what we want when we want it.
    We're getting older so accumulating more stuff isn't desirable.
    We're on opposite sides of the world and shipping is expensive.
    It's really hard to know what to get!

I will likely send an Amazon gift card to my nieces and nephew but I definitely do not expect anything back from them. They're still children.
    I may give some art supplies to my sister-in-law, the artist. She usually gives us some of her art.
    And if we do a $10 Secret Santa at work, I'll pick something up.

As for my husband and me, we usually "give" each other travel. In the past, it might have been a trip to Europe or Canada, in recent years, it's usually a trip to the northern part of the State.

We like to keep it simple. :)

Introvert Excuses -- this was one reason I became super busy. It's easier for me to say, "I'm sorry, I can't join you for that because I have another thing on that day".

When we came to Tasmania, I ended up packing my schedule with events. "Individual", non-interactive events: symphony, plays, cycling, etc.. And then university was a great excuse. I can't come because I have a project due! And now there's the pandemic.

Now that I'm finished university, I don't want to return to packing my schedule with events ... yet. I do enjoy symphonies, plays, etc. but it's nice to take a break from them. I like the idea of not having to do things on evenings and weekends.

But as much as I would be happy just going to work and hiding out at home on evenings and weekends these days, my husband is more social, especially since his accident, and he is "stuck" at home all the time. So I do have to think of ways of getting him out and interacting with people now and then: his medical appointments, shopping, etc.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka - Congratulations! Although I am sure you knew you passed; it is nice to have the official word! lol Next stop graduation; then what's next for this fine young woman?!
    KJ (Kelly)

I've still got work! I'm a database administrator and I've asked to become more involved database work.

In university, I learned a few skills and lots of higher level stuff. Now I'd like to focus on learning more skills and perhaps also getting into the analyst side of things a bit more.

More specifically, SQL is an interesting language in that it is very easy to learn basic SQL ... and then the next level is advanced SQL. There isn't really an intermediate stage. You start into SQL and can search for certain things which is pretty easy ... then the next thing is doing complicate joins and stuff. I am really good at the easy stuff and have ventured into the complicated stuff but I really need to work with it a lot more to get my head around it so that it becomes natural. The colleague I work with most closely is good. He can just glance at code and know what to do and that's where I'd like to be.

I'd also like to become more familiar with products like Power BI and possibly R for analysis of the data.

So my learning will be at work.

At home ... for the past 6 years I put blinders on to all the little things that need to be done so I could focus my attention on uni. Now I'm seeing all the little things that need to be done and there are a lot of them!

Fortunately there aren't deadlines for most so I'm just working my way through the long, long list.

M in Oz
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Peach1948 wrote: »
    B)

At a hotel in Kentucky right now. Plan to leave early tomorrow.

Fae - your posts kill me. Thanks for the smile

Michele nc
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,958 Member
    I used to do some SQL years ago. It's a cool language.
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,896 Member
    I got my former mother in law's Christmas gift in the mail today- her tree wall hanging turned out cute, slippers are warm and fuzzy and added some home made peanut butter fudge and some Jelly Bellys.
    I got a phone call from former Father in law. First time I have actually talked to him in years. He called to say thank you for texting him(plus email and FB) wishing him happy birthday and for keeping in touch with him and Shirley. He said he is feeling better. Made me so happy.
    We did our weekly shopping- quick stops and got some great deals on a LOT of salads which is great. Bagged salad kits $4 w/ $3 off on each one!!! I don't usually use all the dressing that comes with the kids or use something totally different.
    Came home and husband got the outside Christmas decorations started. It is really starting to look like Christmas. I will get the tree and the inside decorations up the next few days- Wonder how the cats will do with the tree. The two youngest were not in the house last Christmas(we caught them and brought them in a couple weeks later)
    Made my first Christmas mask this evening and will get started on a bunch more tomorrow.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    Stats for the day-

Short walk w/family- 1hr 9min 29src, 3.39ap, 87ahr, 111mhr. 3.68mi= 341c
    Strava app = 446c
    Zwift bike trainer- 24..12min, 134ahr, 155mhr, 10.58mi= 247c
    Strava app = 516c

Total cal 588
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,431 Member
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

I received my 10-year anniversary present from work. I will say I love it. The touchscreen is not overly sensitive which is wonderful. The only thing driving me crazy is the control and function keys are located in a weird position. I have to retain my fingers from my work laptop to my personal laptop. I also decided to use MS Office 360 for now. MS still has not priced out downloadable personal versions of 360 which I would prefer. Hopefully, MS prices out soon.

My diet has been a train wreck. I have not been honestly recording everything and have been eating what I want, when I want it. I have gain 6 pounds over the past 3 months!! Starting Monday I am getting back to basics. I did not work my butt off for 9 months only to put back all of the weight I lost.

For those of you who have Netflix I watched “The Queen’s Gambit”. It was scripted well and it reminded me of watching the chess tournaments on TV during the 70s.

Pip – When I travel I not longer pick up little trinkets. I buy regional spices wherever I go, including travel within the US. After my visit to Mexico I researched Mole. I was surprised how different and complex the recipes can be from family to family and region to region.

Ginny – When my grandmother made chicken soup she would make both rice and noodles and kept them separate from the soup. We could select what we wanted (if at all).

Lisa – The bankruptcy attorney let me know ahead of time of the “income” ramifications of negotiating the debt. It does make sense though – we got something for that credit and by erasing some it we are getting something for “free”. Like you I ended up in a higher tax bracket, but that penalty was/is much smaller than the actual debt I owed. So happy and sending positive thoughts this “IS” the last round of antibiotics.

Barbara – Sorry to hear about your cousin’s passing, your friend moving, and your other friend’s puppy. I agree with you regarding 2020, but I remember hoping for a new year at the end of last and look what I wished for……

Lanette – Lemon squares were Charlie’s favorites. 😊

Barbie – Many moons ago I too told all friends and family – no presents. It is quite a relief not having to worry about shopping, wrapping, running myself ragged, etc. If I see something someone would like I buy it and give it to them. I think it’s more enjoyable giving someone something for no reason.

Rita – Good for you. I am glad you’re feeling better no keeping things bottled up. I am sorry your daughter was not receptive. Honestly, that is on her; not you. It’s my hope she thinks things over and has a change of heart. Big hug to you.

The night is still young and I must think about what I will have for dinner. Not very hungry but must eat something or I will ravished tomorrow morning.

Best to all,
    SuziQ – SFL

Wet tru about the mole, some of the sauce tastes sweet which is nasty to me
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,721 Member
    Christmas Presents ... besides my children (who are home with us at this time), I will only purchase gifts for my nieces and nephews. The older ones will get gift cards, but my great-nieces and great-nephews (ages 3-12) will get gifts. I've spent today online shopping and have that wrapped up. It's been fun looking for baby dolls and dinosaurs.

Older son had his second covid test today ... day 8 or 9 (we can't figure out how they count the days) since his exposure to the housemate with covid. My husband said the lines for scheduled appointments snaked out into the street. It is getting very serious in my neck of the woods. Keeping our fingers crossed that we he is still negative.

We have never purchased a pay-per-view boxing event before ... my guys usually just watch whatever is on television... but they decided they wanted to see Mike Tyson box and Roy Jones tonight. All I know is that I've seen a lot of rap singers perform before each of the fights prior to the main event. I wish you could see my redneck husband's face! :D:D:D My younger son can't stop laughing. So all good fun.

Beth near Buffalo
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Christmas Presents ... besides my children (who are home with us at this time), I will only purchase gifts for my nieces and nephews. The older ones will get gift cards, but my great-nieces and great-nephews (ages 3-12) will get gifts. I've spent today online shopping and have that wrapped up. It's been fun looking for baby dolls and dinosaurs.

Older son had his second covid test today ... day 8 or 9 (we can't figure out how they count the days) since his exposure to the housemate with covid. My husband said the lines for scheduled appointments snaked out into the street. It is getting very serious in my neck of the woods. Keeping our fingers crossed that we he is still negative.

We have never purchased a pay-per-view boxing event before ... my guys usually just watch whatever is on television... but they decided they wanted to see Mike Tyson box and Roy Jones tonight. All I know is that I've seen a lot of rap singers perform before each of the fights prior to the main event. I wish you could see my redneck husband's face! :D:D:D My younger son can't stop laughing. So all good fun.

Beth near Buffalo

Praying along with you that your son tests negative and that you all remain safe.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Machka9
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Best to all,
    SuziQ – SFL

I'll have to make a decision about that soon too.

I have been using MS Office 360 for free through my university, but once I graduate, that probably won't be available to me.

So one of the things I've been doing is to off-load documents and emails onto a backup drive in case they pull the plug on me. The next thing I'll do is to check and see what deals might be available through work.

What kind of laptop did you end up with? I'll need a new one of those too soon. I bought mine in 2015 and have used it just about every day since. I've put it through it's paces!! Poor thing is getting tired. I also don't have a touch screen, and I'm kind of interested in getting one with.

M in Oz
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    edited November 2020
    Hello all! :)
    exermom wrote: »
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Happy Belated Thanksgiving Day....

Charsuzy- I love my rebounder but I don't have the stability bar on mine. I do have it on my bosu, tho

@exermom thanks for sharing you have a bosu because I've never heard of that and like learning what others do to get exercise. I need new ideas. I'm wanting to keep it interesting at home and want to keep a "home gym" type thing all ready to go to motivate me to get exercise every day. Exercising every day is a totally new concept and I'm making that change.

How do you like the bosu?

<3

Progress note for today:
    11/28 at 10:57PM
    8,685 steps
    3.73 miles
    435 calories burned
    Fasting from 9:30PM

o:)
  • charsuzy
    charsuzy Posts: 234 Member
    Katla49 wrote: »

SuziQ:
    I went shopping for vitamins and spent too much on them. I will likely buy somewhere else next time.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

@Katla49 I buy supplements at Pipingrock and they aren't as big of an online store as Swansons but their prices are good. Thought I'd throw that out there.

charsuzy
    Bellevue, WA

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Rita: Good luck at Walmart. I went today and found the place in our town was full of people who are hording everything from TP to dog food and who knows what else. Insanity had clearly broken out at Walmart today. I'm glad I didn't need any TP. :grumble:

Faye: Thanks for the joke/story. :bigsmile:

Bwcetc: Sending good thoughts for your son. I hope he tests negative for Corona virus. :heart:

Machka: The dress is wonderful. :star:

Charsuzy: Thanks for the vitamin/supplement tip. I’m loaded with vitamins for now, but I’ll be following your advice in a few months. :flowerforyou:

I watched back-to-back veterinarian shows this evening. I enjoyed them. Now I’m ready to hop in bed and rest.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon