Noom

Any Noom members out there? I'm curious on your thoughts of the program.

Replies

• cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    I tried the free trial, and then just bought the book it's based on and did that. I think it's a good tool, just not for me.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    cremorna1 wrote: »
    I tried the free trial, and then just bought the book it's based on and did that. I think it's a good tool, just not for me.

What book is it based on? I wasn't aware of this.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Noom is better than doing it on your own. That's based on this sentence in a research paper I found:
    Among the participants, 77.9% reported a decrease in body weight while they were using the app with 22.7% experiencing more than 10% weight loss compared with baseline ...
    You can read the paper at https://www.nature.com/articles/srep34563

There are a number of Noom articles available to read on Google Scholar. I've read a few reviews on Noom elsewhere and the some users complained about flakey chat support staff and being charged after exiting the programme, so use a prepaid card number with a limited amount of $$$ that they can potentially steal.
  • fiveorsixgirls
    fiveorsixgirls Posts: 4 Member
    I did the same. I actually really liked it, probably because I do cbt in analysis. Couldn't afford it tho.
  • Holly1019
    Holly1019 Posts: 43 Member
    I just started about a little over a week ago. So far I really like it. I was thinking about signing up for a while, and even went as far as almost paying, changed my mind. Then they would send me different offers. The latest was ????? Dont remember the exact number, but it ended up only being about $12 a month. They teach a lot of mind stuff. No food is off limit. I have heard a lot of good things. There is a Noom unofficial facebook pages with a lot of people using Noom. you could check that out.
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    threewins wrote: »
    Noom is better than doing it on your own. That's based on this sentence in a research paper I found:
    Among the participants, 77.9% reported a decrease in body weight while they were using the app with 22.7% experiencing more than 10% weight loss compared with baseline ...
    You can read the paper at https://www.nature.com/articles/srep34563

There are a number of Noom articles available to read on Google Scholar. I've read a few reviews on Noom elsewhere and the some users complained about flakey chat support staff and being charged after exiting the programme, so use a prepaid card number with a limited amount of $$$ that they can potentially steal.

We just need to find what works for each of us as individuals.

My aunt likes WW, my Mum likes Slimming World, I prefer calorie counting and am having the great success since being introduced to IF with a 50kg loss so far.
  • lisachmitchell
    lisachmitchell Posts: 28 Member
    I am a member. I joined at the free trial. Meh. Too much stuff going on. I prefer just logging what I eat and when I work out. But I’ll finish the first period I purchased and then cancel.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,967 Member
    I only did the free trial for a few days before cancelling, as it really was not for me. I already log my meals in another database that I have used for years and have recipes and everything else set up in. Much of my activity doesn't involve "steps," at at least starting out, that was the only activity they counted. The support side of things I never really got around to since the basics didn't work for me at all.

That said, for someone who wants some support, wants to keep things simple, and has no history or knowledge of dieting, exercise, etc, I could see it being valuable.

I did find it awfully expensive for what was a very basic program though - I would have expected something far more tailored for the cost - no idea if they even get tailored enough for someone like me, but either way, I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money on something that did not appear to be designed for people like me.
  • Gr8nurs1271
    Gr8nurs1271 Posts: 25 Member
    I tried noom. Didn’t think it was really worth the money. It was basically the exact same program as weight watchers. I definitely got more out of WW than I did noom. But that’s just me.
  • vclayborne
    vclayborne Posts: 2 Member
    We did well on Noom initially and then lost interest. I agree with others that MFP is as good or better. We both lost a lot of weight and gained it all back in a year. Corona weight.
  • tinasorbara
    tinasorbara Posts: 2 Member
    I tried Noom, foolishly restricted my calories to what I was told, and crashed by day 5. My fault, I am more active than I realized (don't drive). Noom only gives you back 1/2 the net calories you burn with exercise in your daily calorie allowance. Wasn't enough for me. MFP has been great (about 50 days in, no crashing, and losing 1-2 pounds a week).