November 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,885 Member
    @Camaramandy648 That sounds like a great plan. I've forgotten, when is your run?

@AlphaHowls You are awesome. What is this "earth journey" you are on?

@62Rich Congratulations on making your November goal and beating your highest mileage year with another month to go! You are doing great!

@Faebert Congrats on making your goal!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    I wish we could change everything around, but it's set. We've already committed. I think what we're going to do is pin down some dates when I can bring the kids just for a visit so it isn't about running and they will still get to see their uncle and cousins etc.
    I will say this once, and then will leave you to do what you want ;)
    I would strongly encourage you to consider postponing. It sounds like you are the only one really committed to this, and it's not a distance to take lightly. There are a LOT of potential negative consequences to this decision, not only for you but your family as well.

Ok, so you'll be running alone. How will you carry all of the food and water you'll need? And what about your gear - dry layers to change into if you start getting cold? You just said you don't remember what you did last winter, so I take that to mean you haven't trained with and tested the gear you'll be putting your safety on, in the weather you'll be facing. What is your plan for when you start hallucinating or get lost? If something goes wrong with your nutrition plan and you can't keep anything down, there's not going to be an aid station ahead staffed with friendly people who understand what you're doing. Do you have a plan for if you get an unexpected injury? So much can happen in an ultra, even when you have drop boxes and aid stations and crews. Even if it all goes well, you're still putting a huge risk on your family's shoulders, and they may resent you for that. I recommend you find an actual race, train for the conditions, and do it surrounded by the ultra-running community that is so famous for being awesome. That would be a beautiful lesson for your children.

I'm sorry about your friends and brother. You never know what might have happened. But maybe it all happened this way to show you that this is not the right time. Most of us here have had races canceled this year, races that really mattered to us. We get it, and we've all dealt differently, and that's OK. Some ran it anyway, to different degrees, some didn't. But this isn't a distance you should be attempting solo for your first go at it. It's just not wise, in my opinion.
    ETA spoiler, cause maybe this is controversial or too debate-like ;)

I think @polskagirl01 raises some good points. I know this means a lot to you. Please consider everything she mentioned and if you do move forwars please have a plan for those issues.

I had forgotten about the hallucinations. A podcast I listened to was talking about hers during a 100 miler. She struggled even though she knew they were hallucinations.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Faebert wrote: »
    I haven’t received my Pastor Vincent medal yet but I am in the UK so I’m guessing it will take a while. I don’t have many running medals but they all mean something special. Will be so nice to add ‘his’ one.
    I also haven't yet received mine. Mail from outside of the country has been taking longer since March. @eleanorhawkins has yours arrived? Any of the other Europeans get yours? I'm trying to contain my excitement... they look great in the pictures.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Great points @polskagirl01
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    @Camaramandy648 , I too think @polskagirl01 makes some excellent points. I trust your judgement to do the smart thing.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    @quilteryoyo might be my math skills but isn't 20.25 and 52.68 72.93?
  • quilteryoyo
    Hahaha @skippygirlsmom ! You are correct. Don't know what I was/wasn't thinking. :flushed:
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,049 Member
    Faebert wrote: »
    I haven’t received my Pastor Vincent medal yet but I am in the UK so I’m guessing it will take a while. I don’t have many running medals but they all mean something special. Will be so nice to add ‘his’ one.
    I also haven't yet received mine. Mail from outside of the country has been taking longer since March. @eleanorhawkins has yours arrived? Any of the other Europeans get yours? I'm trying to contain my excitement... they look great in the pictures.

I’m in Ireland & it’s not arrived yet either but it’s nice to be looking forward to the postman everyday.
  • quilteryoyo
    @katharmonic Sounds like you had a great time on your hike. It also sounds very hard. The views are beautiful. I don't know that I would have "hiked" down and up that waterfall though. Of course, I'm not in as good of shape as you are and definitely not as strong.

@AlphaHowls I figured it was something like that - or maybe a trip to Mars or something. LOL How long do you have to finish said journey?
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Oh One More Thing:

I can't remember what I did last year that worked - I wasn't running at 4am so never had to deal with 20 degrees F.

Tomorrow is 27F at 4AM.

Indiana is going to be quite cold as well, in winter.

Recommendations for jackets, layers, etc? I think I have enough stuff to layer but do I need like a specific running jacket or will a thin pullover be enough?

Do I really need gloves? i hated gloves last year because my hands were hot and I couldn't use them.

I get really cold hands and then really hot sweaty hands after a few miles. What I have found which works is glove liners with flip mitts over them. The liners are so light that I can just wear them at most temperatures, and if they get too hot they ball up small enough to stuff in a pouch. The flip mitts keep wind and rain off my hands and keep them warm at colder temps but can be pulled back when my hands warm up.

How often are you planning to stop? If you don’t have crew is there a way you could drive ahead and set up drop aid stations for yourself before running? Does most of the route have WiFi so you can call for help?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    Wow!! you are a bada$$ @katharmonic!! That is an incredible hike. I can't imagine going down and up the rock slides, let alone the waterfall area! The pictures are gorgeous though!

@Camaramandy648 - I am not going to weigh in on all the issues that could beset your ultra run other than to say I agree with @polskagirl01 and others who have suggested postponing it. If nothing else maybe doing it in the spring when it is great running weather and your kids could be with there cheering you on.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,890 Member
    AlphaHowls I figured it was something like that - or maybe a trip to Mars or something. LOL How long do you have to finish said journey?

No time line, just something to do while I am on the run.