Potatoes

Are potatoes a no-go for those of you trying to lose weight or maintain? Do you include them in moderation or let it rip? I'm talking mainly about the whole small steamed potatoes....not mashed or fried.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I love red potatoes steamed, cut them, some olive oil and salt and pepper... yum

And fries are yummy also, but I don’t eat fast food at all (just don’t like it), so I eat frozen fries baked in the oven.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7498104/
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Enough said about potatoes....
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    I’m currently eating potatoes. Lol. The funny thing is (I come from a restrictive eating background/ED so I forbade myself from eating potatoes!) that now I find them so filling that I struggle to eat more. I’m in maintenance now but I will still eat potatoes with butter. End of story.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,048 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are potatoes a no-go for those of you trying to lose weight or maintain? Do you include them in moderation or let it rip? I'm talking mainly about the whole small steamed potatoes....not mashed or fried.

I eat potatoes all the time...they really aren't particularly calorie dense...I really don't know why they get such a bum rap, they are a nutritional powerhouse. They are definitely a dietary staple for my family regardless of my weight management objectives.

Totally agree with this. Why the bum rap? I can easily see how a blight could lead to famine in places people rely on them. They are so nutritious. And versatile! A million ways to incorporate them into various dishes. Let it rip. I mean, weigh and log what you eat, as you would with anything, but there's no reason to avoid them.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    I love potatoes. I don't "let it rip" as they do have calories - but if they fit my calories, why would I not eat them?
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited November 2020
    I'm eating a pizza with mushrooms and potatoes on it right now..I love potatoes! I eat them in some form nearly every day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I try to stay away from them and those calories on chocolate.
  • globalc00
    globalc00 Posts: 103 Member
    I eat 500g of steam sweet potato a day. It's 430 calories that I can fit into daily intake regardless of if i'm trying to lose or maintain.
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    edited December 2020
    if you want to loose weight and just get it over with, then no potatoes just eat a meat ie protein and a green vegetable, so chicken and broccoli NO rice, salmon and green beans NO quinoa, steak and asparagus NO potatoes, eggs and spinach NO bread, something and something NO tortilla

protein + green veggie

you can thank me after 6 weeks! ha ha