Weight No More - December 2020 Team Chat

Replies

• kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    I’m not sure when I posted steps last. I’m going to start posting weekly at weigh in. Friday’s steps which I think I posted but am not sure 14306. I’ll post Saturday to Friday from now on. Less confusion for you and me @1theresamcvean
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,158 Member
    Happy Almost December, Everybody!

Also, hello - I'm Ashley. I'm one of the co-captains of Team Weight No More with the marvelous Theresa ( @1theresamcvean ). So excited to start another month with you!

I'll be weighing in on Thursdays, and my last recorded weight was 166.2 on Thanksgiving morning. I am expecting a gain for my first week of December, but I suppose we'll see just how quickly my bloat drops.

A quick about me:

I'm 25, living in Ohio with my pet rock and collection of broken down cardboard boxes I've continually forgotten to remove from the corner of my apartment. I spend most of my days staring at spreadsheets, determining whether the products my company is developing will explode. I am a scientist through and through, and always willing to learn something new (hey, that rhymed!).

As for my health:

I've never not been overweight. Growing up, I was an up-and-coming member of the Clean Plates Club™ and an avid emotional eater. MFP has my highest weight logged as 234, although I am positive that number was even higher before I decided to take control of the situation (for the first time) back in 2014. I'll admit, I didn't take it seriously until 2017, when a doctor warned me I was on the road to Type II diabetes.

Since then, I've lost over 70 lbs, regained some of it back, lost some of it again, gained it back again... My lowest weight found me in the high 150s, and I would love to get back there again by the middle of 2021.

There are a few things to consider, of course: I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis back in December 2019, there's a pandemic going on, and I have a wonderful tendency to self-sabotage when I start to do well.

I've also written a blog to keep track of my progress and mindset throughout my journey. You can find that here. I'm not the best writer, and I'm not the funniest person, but it's definitely a great way to get to know how my mind works.

7b22b04df948d43ff89e7841fbe62bbb.jpg
  • sleepymom5
    sleepymom5 Posts: 2,446 Member
    Check in for Sunday
    Food-logged and under
    Water-80 oz
    Exercise-30 min walking video and PT/stretching

As most of you know, I am not a cook. I made a turkey pot pie yesterday! It came out amazing! Yes! Something I made was delicious! Lol! It was a real test for me with overeating. My husband served me a gigantic slice. I am in a weird place now that I am more consistent with paying attention to my hunger, I start to almost panic when I know I am getting filled. I actually make sure my last few bites are the best of what is left on the plate. I also have the usual battle in my head that it is delicious and just this one time won't matter but I did stop and put a napkin over the rest so I wouldn't unconsciously start picking at it. So even though it was not the healthiest dinner to have, I am happy I ate a "normal" portion and didn't give in and overeat.

Other than the pot pie, I made turkey soup and did my food prep for breakfast and lunch. I actually don't think I need to go shopping this week except for some produce. I am having a hard time going from shopping for a big family to only shopping for 4. I would love to get my food shopping to every other week. I just have to find what works for me.

@xX_PhoenixRising_Xx You are almost my birthday buddy. If I remember correctly, I am a day(and at least a decade) ahead and the same day as your mother.. I aim for the same thing each month, to weigh less than I did when I started it. :)
    @minstrelofsarcasm I am intimidated with spread sheets. When I was captain, I would end up deleting rows and people without even knowing what I did! I am sure the moderators were relived when I stepped down Lol! I actually disagree with you, from what I have experienced you are a good writer and very funny! :)
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    Good Morning Weight No More.... You have another new member heading your way ... Please welcome @Sunshinegal19 :)
  • jedaschultz
    jedaschultz Posts: 955 Member
    Username: jedaschultz
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    Week 1
    PW (Previous Weight): 206.6
    CW (Current Weight): 204.2

You can certainly see that Thanksgiving is over. We did travel to my mom's this last week but did not do a big Thanksgiving meal. The previous week we did at my in laws and my eating was out of control. I'm back home and hopefully back on track and want to make a little progress before the end of the year.
  • I have a work lunch out tomorrow and I'm afraid I've turned into *that* person... I need to see the menu beforehand because there is so much that I can't/won't eat because of migraine triggers, and I want to plan ahead with calories as well.

Of course, nobody has decided where we are going yet, so let's see how this goes!

December is always fun.
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Of course, nobody has decided where we are going yet, so let's see how this goes!

I remember having a stack of menus in my cubicle for all of the local places people may want to go for lunch with several options written on each for the things that fit within my calories and had some nutritional value while avoiding allergens. There's no shame in being "that" person, because being "that" person is someone who is looking out for their own health. Caring for yourself is not selfish.

• ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,053 Member
    Welcome new team mates.

I'm Tracy from New Hampshire. 48 with 2 boys, 26 and 23, 2 granddaughters, 13 months and 9 months. I am an assistant director in childcare. I gain and lose the same 5 pounds for years, its become very frustrating. My dr told me one time that my body just likes to be this size. Well I dont like this size. I do have ibs and saw a nutritionist who told me to eliminate foods to find my triggers but otherwise wasnt very helpful.

I have not been motivated lately and I think since having my neck surgery and not being able to exercise other than walking I have just felt blah. I did go to the store and buy fruits and veggies, I planned out and measured my meals today and for tomorrow. That's a plus. I just ordered a new fitbit because I can only see my progress on my phone not sure if my Fitbit got wet one too many times or what. I drank lemon water today, and also made sure I got plenty of water in. I do have my 2 month check on Friday hopefully she will let me back to zumba.
  • xX_PhoenixRising_Xx
    xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Posts: 622 Member
    edited November 2020

I remember having a stack of menus in my cubicle for all of the local places people may want to go for lunch with several options written on each for the things that fit within my calories and had some nutritional value while avoiding allergens. There's no shame in being "that" person, because being "that" person is someone who is looking out for their own health. Caring for yourself is not selfish.

Thanks, I do agree with you. It's just that the list of foods I'm avoiding is getting as long as my arm lol. And most of the people I work with eat crap, then I come along with my borderline-vegan low-sugar avoiding-mystery-ingredients self and they don't know what to do. Then to top it off I can't drink alcohol or zero-sugar soda or most non-alcoholic sodas (almost pure sugar) so I drink water and eat lettuce and they're all WTH? 🙃

I know what I can eat from all the local places too, but they've decided we'll go into the CBD and I don't know many of the places there.
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 944 Member
    edited December 2020
    3i6zglbqda0v.jpeg

Hello everyone! I’m Theresa and I live in downtown Toronto, Canada. Together with @minstrelofsarcasm I'm a co-captain here on TWNM.

About me
    I have two grown children. My daughter Elisabeth lives nearby with her partner, Jake. My son Phil lives in a small town an hour away with his wife, Katie, and two children. Pippa is 3 1/3 years old and Gilbert is 17 months. I have a Havanese dog named Xavy.

I had a career as an advertising and publishing executive. For years I ran, cycled, and swam. Then one day, as my daughter says, just like Forrest Gump I stopped.

My weight story
    As a child, I was an average weight, except this one time when my next-door neighbour's grandmother babysat and introduced us to three course lunches. When my children were small, I was very slim, about 120 lbs, probably from chasing them around. In my forties I was at my ideal weight, a toned 142 lbs.

Three and a bit years ago, when my granddaughter was born, I saw a photo and didn’t recognize myself. I did look like a happy nana and I’m sure I was comfy to hug, but I want to live to be a ‘little’ old lady.

In January 2018, I weighed 177.4 lbs with a goal of a toned 142 lbs. I began by losing almost 30 pounds in the first year and plateaued for about a year. My mother was very frail and in need of full-time support. Curiously, the start of Covid allowed my sister and me more time to focus on ourselves.

The present
    For the past year and a half, I've been working towards launching a start-up with a friend from my business days. It’s an online service where people can hire professional genealogists by the minute to get past brick walls with their family trees. We have finally launched and it’s very busy.

This summer and fall, I did a variety of activities including HIIT over Zoom, cycling on my used Spin bike indoors and on my bicycle outdoors. I look after my grandchildren every Friday, which is heavy work (shout out to all the moms of toddlers and preschoolers here!) and walk Xavy every day.

My December goals
    • Work out 3 to 4 days a week - walking, a new workout group at the park at 8:00 a.m.
    • Aim for a new goal weight of 145 versus 142. I felt really good at 145 and have crept up a couple of pounds since then. I’m not giving up, I’m just noticing that it’s my new ideal weight.
    • When I get to 145, set a maintenance range of 144 to 149.

I’m loving reading your intros and December goals.

• melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    edited December 2020
    Hey, all. Have not posted in forever...my phone decided it didn't want to access the community from the app any more. MFP is generally disintrested...my phone IS pretty old. I think that's ageism.

Last week was crap for me just because I'm not a holiday person for many reasons. I take the week before Thankgiving off so I don't inflict my bad holiday attitude on anyone else (besides my husband). Usually, I get things done but this year I'm having some asthma trouble so I did nothing. Literally. Nothing. Okay, I made ginger syrup but that's it. And doing nothing did not help the breathing. Upped one of my inhalers, started taking the other more regular, wheeze got worse...so now I'm on steroids. Grrr. I hate steroids.

Caught up on last months posts this am, couldn't figure out why I couldn't respond...duh. December! Already?!? Sigh.

@pacsnc6 That was me with the black bean brownie recipe...glad you liked it!

I saw so many 5k! That's awesome everyone. Once I can walk more than 12 feet without wheezing, I hope to do some more.

Did we lose Mel? Have not seen her around in a while.
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    Hi Happy first day of December everyone! Feels kind of weird being in the cheer section, but I am cheering for all of you!

@melaniescott - Sorry about your asthma trouble and the steroids. Many people are not into the holidays for various reasons, so you are not alone in that.

@1theresamcvean - That’s Casa Loma! Really pretty! For those of you not from Toronto, Casa Loma is a “castle” built by a wealthy financier at the turn of last century. His beloved wife was quite sick at that time, so it was not the happy family enclave that he planned it to be. It was very state of the art at the time, with a central vacuum, elevator and of course, secret passageways. The City eventually took it over, and it is now a museum/wedding venue/events space. Most recently, the cast of Schitt’s Creek had their Emmy’s party there, that’s the one where they swept the Emmy’s? I love local history here in Toronto, as you can tell.

@ljdanny - I know it has been frustrating. You did have surgery not that long ago, and it can take time to recover, so it is ok to go slowly and be kind to yourself. I really hope that you can get back to Zumba soon!

@xX_PhoenixRising_Xx - Looking at the menus in advance is great (I will always do it), but it must be tough with your list of foods to avoid. But look at it this way, your avoid list may help overall on your journey. As for those people around you that eat crap, it should be reverse and you should be looking at them saying wtf!

• brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    11/30 steps 9535
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    Happy Tuesday!

Mindset Check-In
    This time of year is always rough on my mental health. Not because of all the excess food or alcohol or anything, but the bloats that result from them... (the cold and dark doesn't help either)

Halloween? Boom, bloat from alcohol.
    Thanksgiving? Boom, bloat from alcohol AND pie.
    Christmas? Boom, bloat from alcohol AND pie AND eggnog.

I can always explain away the weight, but that doesn't make it any easier to see numbers in the low 170s when I've been so consistently in the mid-160s. The regular drops in weight are nice, but da- (ahem) dang does my scale always find a way to ruin my mood. Doesn't help that just two years ago, I was in the high 150s.

Perhaps I gained 10lbs of muscle in France and that's why a bunch more weight hasn't dropped off? Let's go with that. It wasn't butter, cheese, and wine, but solid muscle.

Anyway. That's my spiel for the day. CLEARLY I am a machine of pure muscle, and all of that bloat is merely my muscles getting even more muscle-y.

Oh also, remember to adjust your posture and drink water. You're welcome.
  • sleepymom5
    sleepymom5 Posts: 2,446 Member
    Check in for Monday
    Food-logged and under
    Water-80 ounces
    Exercise-30 min walking video, PT, strength and stretching

Happy December everyone! Not too much to report, I had a good day yesterday and plan to keep that going today. Have a great day!

@jedaschultz Nice loss! Looks like you are motivated to have a great December!
    @xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Ugh! I hope they decide in enough time so you can check out the menu before.
    @ljdanny sounds like you did well today and have a good plan for the next few days too. You are doing great. I hope you get cleared to go back to zumba, I know you enjoy it.
    @1theresamcvean It is so exciting that you are almost at your goal. I also like that you have a range. You have worked hard to get where you are and have certainly turned things around from that day in 2018!
    @melaniedscott Glad you found your way back to us! I am actually having problems getting on community from the app too. Right now I am on the computer. I think it may be from a recent update on my phone so I am going to try to log in and out. Who knows what works. It happens from time to time and I forget what I did last time Lol! I have a love hate relationship with steroids, they do make you feel so much better but then the side effects. Hope you start feeling better soon. Hugs!
    @Cafelelia Thanks for the background on Theresa's pic. How beautiful and how cool it is in walking distance for you Theresa! You two could have a job in tourism for Toronto Lol!
    @minstrelofsarcasm I think we all can relate to your post, especially this time of year. I know myself, especially now with the scale going down, that even though my head knows that it is bloat, it bugs me! Hang in there, I am wondering with all that spinning if some may be muscle for you? Ok, going in to drink my water now. Do you think I can mail you a zapper to zap me for my posture? Is that even a thing? Lol!
  • lennoncpa
    lennoncpa Posts: 777 Member
    Hello and Happy December team! My name is Sheryl and I have been using My Fitness Pal for many years, but didn't get involved in the community part of this app until around 2016. There are people on this team that I consider good friends and who I feel comfortable confiding many of my good and bad eating situations. If you are new to this community group I hope you will get as much out of it as I have. We share good times and bad and we answer each others questions and give each other ideas as to how to navigate towards a healthier lifestyle.

I live in southeast Michigan and I have 2 grown sons and a grand puppy Chihuahua named Sunny that you may occasionally see photos of.

I am good about exercise and I have been doing virtual workouts with my gym in my home. I have a little workout area set up with some weights and exercise bands and I turn on my Ipad at 5:15 every morning. The trainers always include those of us who do Zoom in their conversations so it feels like I am still part of the gym, even though I am not there physically.

As far as food goes, I gave up all sweets 2 years ago because I couldn't eat them in moderation. I usually allow myself a treat on my birthday - but only if someone buys it for me! I have to make up rules for myself or I misbehave!!! I also have to watch how many nuts I eat - as I love nuts and can't have a can of nuts in my home. Usually the only way I will eat them is if I find a store that sells them in bulk so that I can take home a little baggie of nuts. My biggest problem is probably my portion sizes - and that is something I am always working on. It seems to be especially hard now without having my normal activities to do - so sitting around the house watching Netflix and thinking about food is definitely the new norm!!

Lets have a great December and help each other get through these days as a team! :)
  • kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    An idea for your leftover turkey ladies. Makes 3 meals of 387 calories each. Top with mozzarella or eat with cottage cheese, it has a zing. It’s a can of stewed tomatoes. I wrote it down wrong.75pws4p60yxt.jpeg
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    12/01 steps 2340
This discussion has been closed.