Weird things that happen to your body as you age.

Replies

• IAMFFL
    IAMFFL Posts: 58 Member
    Overall I'm feeling great (knock on wood)! The one thing I've noticed is some foods aren't agreeing with my stomach and my metabolism has slowed down a lot.
  • vanityy99
    vanityy99 Posts: 2,583 Member
    I need glasses out of the blue.
    Not looking forward to thinning hair.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    One of the worst things was developing a sudden intolerance to caffeine. :'( 10 cups a day was normal for me at one time.

Soooo yeah, now I can't sleep and can't even rely on a little chemical stimulant to get through the day.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    ythannah wrote: »
    One of the worst things was developing a sudden intolerance to caffeine. :'( 10 cups a day was normal for me at one time.

Soooo yeah, now I can't sleep and can't even rely on a little chemical stimulant to get through the day.

Thanks for sharing. Need to reassess my espressos.

• PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,612 Member
    vanityy99 wrote: »
    I need glasses out of the blue.
    Not looking forward to thinning hair.

Thinning hair :'(
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    When am I supposed to expect all these scary changes?? I'm already 35-36.

I've noticed gray hairs since I was 28 or so; a former friend (male) had a skunk streak of silver since he was 20 (and was very self-conscious of it, although I thought it was always dramatically striking and well placed). Odd hairs growing out of places has been commonplace for me since 25 or so...

Mostly, concerned about peri-menopause, anemia, needing glasses (no, my beloved 20/10 vision!!), and changing reactions to caffeine (currently, I have NO reaction to caffeine... NONE).
  • ythannah
    When am I supposed to expect all these scary changes?? I'm already 35-36.

I've noticed gray hairs since I was 28 or so; a former friend (male) had a skunk streak of silver since he was 20 (and was very self-conscious of it, although I thought it was always dramatically striking and well placed). Odd hairs growing out of places has been commonplace for me since 25 or so...

Mostly, concerned about peri-menopause, anemia, needing glasses (no, my beloved 20/10 vision!!), and changing reactions to caffeine (currently, I have NO reaction to caffeine... NONE).

Depends. I think the caffeine is a fairly unusual one because most of my female peers can still enjoy coffee (damn them :D ) although I think it can be a trigger for hot flashes.

One coworker is 41 and already has night sweats. That's probably a perimenopause thing. She'll have to live to 150 to have noticeably thinning hair though, she's got masses of it right now. So it depends on what you start out with. My hairdresser says that women with thinner hair experience more thinning... awesome.

I'm 57 and only need very weak reading glasses for tiny print (like medication labels). But I had Lasik for extreme nearsightedness when I was in my late 30s and they undercorrected slightly so that my close vision would last longer.

Here's another one. I have some older female friends mid-60s to mid-80s who assure me that the ability to withhold flatulence will diminish with age. Can't wait :s
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    ^ I have to concur on the flatulence thing. But since I now live alone, I have to admit that I kind of enjoy letting them fly whenever I care to.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    ^ I have to concur on the flatulence thing. But since I now live alone, I have to admit that I kind of enjoy letting them fly whenever I care to.

Haha I think this post needs to be in the 'getting to know you better' thread. :)
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,861 Member
    I have some minor kyphosis, I only found out about when I had to do a medical, it doesn't really impact me though. It's probably because of poor posture all these years. I also have some varicose veins around my left calf, probably because most jobs Ive had require standing like 8+ hours.
  • ythannah

I live with two stool-eating dogs who produce the most noxious odours at times. Revenge gas does have a certain appeal.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    ythannah wrote: »

Not sudden for me. I had trouble sleeping for a long time. Got worse as I got older. Quit drinking coke because of the calories. Added bonus was I started sleeping better. It was about a year before I slept through the night several nights in a row.

• GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Silencio75 wrote: »
    You need to go to the chiropractor after waking up from a deep sleep.

This is a fact.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    You bruise easier and it takes longer to heal.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    You need to pee but then you go in and it takes you forever so you give up, only to repeat the process in 5 more minutes. :/
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    My back is so warm in the winter but my head is freezing.