Non-diabetics using glucose meters

Is there anyone here tracking their blood sugar even though they have not been diagnosed with diabetes or had a recent discussion about pre-diabetes with their healthcare team?

When 4 Hour Body came out back in 2010, I tried it for a while marathon training. It was a literal pain then and my levels seemed within proper ranges all the time anyway. Furthermore, I don't think there were meters with phone apps back then so tracking the data was also a pain.

But 2010 was a long time ago so...

Has this biohacking conversation/debate (in the absence of comorbidities like PCOS or other medical conditions) already been had in a dedicated thread?

These were the only two I found, but they're also pretty old:
* Blood glucose monitors
* "Non-diabetic" with a reading of 234 half-hour after eating

Replies

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    I love experimenting. I can see myself testing this out in the future. I was told I was pre diabetic 10ish years ago. I know my glucose numbers change pretty drastically depending on if I have grains in my diet vs just fruit and veg, it would be cool to have the numbers held against my food diary!
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Like the two of you, it seems, I like data. That and toying about with my body ( 😐 ) with extra tweaking especially once considered clinically healthy is - dare I say? - fun.

I do hope someone who has tried this recently chimes in.

Otherwise, I'll be boring everyone with posts to this thread for at least part of 2021.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    If anyone has recommendations for glucose and lipid meters, I’m all ears. Amazon is a black hole of options.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    I have issues where my blood sugar drops so I do have a meter even though im not diabetic. if youve had lab tests recently and you random glucose is within normal levels not sure you need to check it.
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    I got a BG meter. The thing is the strips are not that cheap, and insurance will not pay for them since I don't have diabetes... so I stopped using it.
  • MaltedTea
    edited December 2020
    durhammfp wrote: »
    I got a BG meter. The thing is the strips are not that cheap, and insurance will not pay for them since I don't have diabetes... so I stopped using it.

Budgeting was one of my concerns back when I first did this method. Mind you, I got two boxes of test strips and didn't finish those before the summer was out. The rest were just thrown away because, if I'm not mistaken, they had an expiry date (ETA: I could be remembering that part wrong though, after 10 years).

I'm kinda hoping my motivation to track and the results themselves will be of more interest to me this time around.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    Like the two of you, it seems, I like data. That and toying about with my body ( 😐 ) with extra tweaking especially once considered clinically healthy is - dare I say? - fun.

Me too.
    Otherwise, I'll be boring everyone with posts to this thread for at least part of 2021.

If you do, I'll happily read. It's something I've considered doing off and on too.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    There is a website, Optimising Nutrition, where one of the things they do is use blood glucose readings. I haven't really looked at that aspect of their stuff, but there is a recent blog post on it https://optimisingnutrition.com/why-your-blood-sugar-before-you-eat-is-the-most-important-thing-you-can-measure-to-lose-fat-and-optimise-your-metabolic-health/

They seem to use it to gauge if you really do need to eat ('refuel'), as opposed to just wanting to.

Disclaimer: not affiliated with Optimising Nutrition in any way, I stumbled across the site when looking into maximising nutrient density.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited December 2020
    Nope. I just eat low glycemic, and monitor how food and food combos make me feel.

That said: I totally monitor other things (fitness related) for data and fun.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Not sure if this was the one, but j was briefly looking into the with this (or similar) product https://www.dexcom.com/g6/how-it-works
  • MaltedTea
    @Nony_Mouse Yes! Actually, it's that site (but a different page that's a REALLY long read) that got me thinking about this topic again. Up until this weekend, I had never heard of them before.

@SModa61 I read about one person's experience with it. It sounds interesting (and she seemed to love the analytics from hers) but it's dramatically conspicuous.

5l8vd2alg3dn.gif

• sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member
    I use a Relion BS monitor. You use the test strips. The meter, lancet and strips were all relatively inexpensive. It is a Walmart brand. I have been using it for years. I try to eat to my meter. If you have questions let me know.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    @Nony_Mouse Yes! Actually, it's that site (but a different page that's a REALLY long read) that got me thinking about this topic again. Up until this weekend, I had never heard of them before.

@SModa61 I read about one person's experience with it. It sounds interesting (and she seemed to love the analytics from hers) but it's dramatically conspicuous.

5l8vd2alg3dn.gif

WOW, super interesting read thanks for sharing. I would love to try this out and see my readings over the week.
  • sarah7591
    sarah7591 Posts: 415 Member

5l8vd2alg3dn.gif

WOW, super interesting read thanks for sharing. I would love to try this out and see my readings over the week.

How much does this cost?

• youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    [/quote]

WOW, super interesting read thanks for sharing. I would love to try this out and see my readings over the week.[/quote]

How much does this cost?

[/quote]

In Canada a think they are just above $125 without insurance.
  • brianpperkins131
    brianpperkins131 Posts: 90 Member
    Continuous glucose monitors for sports are becoming a thing. They aren't cheap at around $120 per month for the sensors for the ones I've seen. Cost/benefit for what I do just isn't there.
  • SModa61

5l8vd2alg3dn.gif

@MaltedTea I wish I could find the actual unit I was looking at but it was likely back in September when I was looking at the idea of P:E ratio diet. And I am assuming that Naiman must have mentioned or recommended the brand I looked at. It was still large but if I recall it had a sticker type thing to wear over it, kind of like people wearing kinesiology tape. There had been a video showing the install and then applying the sticker over. I will continue to look, but not sure I will have any luck.

As for cost, I know nothing about the cost.

Just glancing around Nutrisense might be the brand I had seen, or even the freestyle libra. It was definitely round and flatter.
  • SModa61
    edited December 2020
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Yeah, I think I found that page after I posted. Still haven't finished reading it :lol: