Coronavirus prep

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    I heard on NPR that there is a concern that decreases in cases will result because of holiday testing and lab closures. The expectation is that there will be a temporary decrease in new cases reported and some may incorrectly see that as a sign that the spread is decreasing.

Yeah, the main source I follow for results in my state does a good job of specifying when holidays/backlogs are potentially impacting the results, but that's a level of nuance that probably isn't clear from every source.

I hope I’m wrong, but it may become a moot point when the real numbers start coming in, in the next few days and weeks.

Interesting story on CBS Sunday Morning News yesterday. It featured the virus and vaccine. How special containers are being built to keep it cold and how UPS, and Fed Ex, are gearing up to handle the shipping once approval by the FDA is made. I wonder how that’s going to affect, or if it even will affect, delivery of all the on line shopping deliveries. It’s cyber Monday. We may want to get our shopping done ASAP. I ordered some things from Bath and Bodyworks last week, and they said due to high volumes, shipments may be delayed, just from more on line shopping.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I heard on NPR that there is a concern that decreases in cases will result because of holiday testing and lab closures. The expectation is that there will be a temporary decrease in new cases reported and some may incorrectly see that as a sign that the spread is decreasing.

Yeah, the main source I follow for results in my state does a good job of specifying when holidays/backlogs are potentially impacting the results, but that's a level of nuance that probably isn't clear from every source.

I hope I’m wrong, but it may become a moot point when the real numbers start coming in, in the next few days and weeks.

Interesting story on CBS Sunday Morning News yesterday. It featured the virus and vaccine. How special containers are being built to keep it cold and how UPS, and Fed Ex, are gearing up to handle the shipping once approval by the FDA is made. I wonder how that’s going to affect, or if it even will affect, delivery of all the on line shopping deliveries. It’s cyber Monday. We may want to get our shopping done ASAP. I ordered some things from Bath and Bodyworks last week, and they said due to high volumes, shipments may be delayed, just from more on line shopping.

Many shippers have contractual obligations with major online retailers - that is, they've already committed what they need to ship to meet projected holiday shopping needs. That said, if people are ordering ABOVE that amount (and it looks like that could be a real possibility due to the reduction in in-person shopping this year), wait times will absolutely be a possibility. Complicating factors: I'm sure not every retailer did a great job of predicting what their volume needs would be and this is all assuming both retailers and shipping companies doing have serious staffing impacts due to a post-Thanksgiving spike in Covid.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My OH and I are among these 13 million:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/06/13-million-people-could-lose-unemployment-benefits-by-end-of-december.html

More than 13 million people could lose their unemployment benefits at the end of December

Same here.

Thankfully I was only off work for half the maximum unemployment benefit period.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I found this article quite thought-provoking, but will admit that I didn't yet read the underlying study, and the article has some markers that would usually make me question whether it's a fair/full interpretation of the study per se:

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2020/09/30/largest-covid-19-contact-tracing-study-date-finds-children-key-spread-evidence

It reports on ". . . the largest contact tracing study . . . conducted in the world for any disease."

Provocative bit, IMO, not unexpected: " . . . 71% of infected individuals did not infect any of their contacts, while a mere 8% of infected individuals accounted for 60% of new infections."
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    lokihen wrote: »
    I think the stress is hitting more people now. I don't know if it's due to election results, holiday/family stuff, possibly realizing the warnings about things getting bad this winter were true or maybe something else entirely. One formerly sensible poster on another forum has started screaming about the CDC plans to lock up vulnerable people (aka FEMA camps).

I can only imagine the meltdowns on facebook.

More people seem to be awaking to the realization that the physical, emotional and financial pain will be with many for decades to come with or without successful vaccines especially those without access to the internet and basic food needs.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Good news for you Slimgirljo!!! Stay safe and get social :)

I have a question, these places with limited capacity, such as stores....I went to a store that had a sign up saying 'only 71 people allowed'. But how do they get that number and who counts them?? There is no one in there tapping patrons on the head going 'ok, you're # 59, cone on in'. So are the signs merely another governmental mandate that's being ignored like the no mask-no entry signs?

And another thing that makes no sense to me is we're not allowed to cross the state border 15 minutes away to shop in a different small town BUT we can travel 80 miles to shop in our state's biggest city where Covid has killed many. :( If I wanted to shop in that small town 15 minutes away, my dh would technically have to self-quarantine for 10-14 days.
    SMH
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited December 2020
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I have a question, these places with limited capacity, such as stores....I went to a store that had a sign up saying 'only 71 people allowed'. But how do they get that number and who counts them?? There is no one in there tapping patrons on the head going 'ok, you're # 59, cone on in'. So are the signs merely another governmental mandate that's being ignored like the no mask-no entry signs?

And another thing that makes no sense to me is we're not allowed to cross the state border 15 minutes away to shop in a different small town BUT we can travel 80 miles to shop in our state's biggest city where Covid has killed many. :( If I wanted to shop in that small town 15 minutes away, my dh would technically have to self-quarantine for 10-14 days.
    SMH

Bigger stores here do have a person counting those coming in and out. Really small stores don't need that, since it's obvious (this is true for most of the little places in my neighborhood shopping district), and they often have their max numbers posted on the door. Some other places seem to have other means -- initially my local supermarket was trying to do it by requiring everyone to take a cart (and only one person per party), and having limited carts and someone handing them out and wiping off the handles, but this was a flop.

State borders aren't enforced from what I can see (not at all, and I don't think it's possible in the US), but if they were (and from the beginning) like in Australia, I think we'd be better off, so I don't consider that necessarily unreasonable as an idea. Your state has certain rules but if people come and go from states that are more lax (my state/area is near states that are more lax, which is part of why we have had a new spike where I am, IMO, even though we have the unenforceable quarantine rules), it does little good. It's true that in some cases traveling throughout a state can do the same thing, but it's even less possible to limit that (or require quarantine for going to another county). Some places outside of the US have recommended limiting travel to quite close around your house, but I don't think anywhere in the US has tried that (maybe NY?).
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

SMH

Bigger stores here do have a person counting those coming in and out. Really small stores don't need that, since it's obvious (this is true for most of the little places in my neighborhood shopping district), and they often have their max numbers posted on the door. Some other places seem to have other means -- initially my local supermarket was trying to do it by requiring everyone to take a cart (and only one person per party), and having limited carts and someone handing them out and wiping off the handles, but this was a flop.

State borders aren't enforced from what I can see (not at all, and I don't think it's possible in the US), but if they were (and from the beginning) like in Australia, I think we'd be better off, so I don't consider that necessarily unreasonable as an idea. Your state has certain rules but if people come and go from states that are more lax (my state/area is near states that are more lax, which is part of why we have had a new spike where I am, IMO, even though we have the unenforceable quarantine rules), it does little good. It's true that in some cases traveling throughout a state can do the same thing, but it's even less possible to limit that (or require quarantine for going to another county). Some places outside of the US have recommended limiting travel to quite close around your house, but I don't think anywhere in the US has tried that (maybe NY?).

Yeah most states have literally hundreds of roads connecting with neighboring states. Impossible to patrol all of them.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited December 2020

SMH

You are in NH, yes? Looks like visits to Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Rhode Island are currently excluded from needing to quarantine.

https://www.covidguidance.nh.gov/out-state-visitors