WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,928 Member
    edited December 2020
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Just some thoughts
    Christmas – I give gifts, decorate, write and send cards, make and share baked goods because it gives me and others joy – sharing baked goodies with my neighbors, sharing lights with those that drive by I believe helps us be a community. And being a community separate from politics, religion or personal customs makes us stronger if (when) we face tragedy be it personal or weather/fire/earthquake…

Barbie – Thanks for keeping us going !

To everyone dealing with loss, depression and illness I send hugs!

My new house mate and I are eating dinner together many nights a week, and I love the company and the fact that he cooks ½ the time, but I have seen a few pounds creep up - he uses a huge amount of butter/oil/salad dressing and often pairs our dinner with wine. I need to speak up for pairings with hot tea (my preferred beverage) and to have a lighter hand with the fats. This is the first time in my adult life I have been cooked for with any regularity and I am loving it. I feel quite spoiled – he cooks or does dishes, vacuumes once a week (we vacuum twice a week) deals with wood and the fire every evening…. And almost always has a smile. He’s just 25 and his girl friend is just as nice. I love my connections to the next generation they are fine people.

Kim from N. California

Kim- I feel the same way as you about Christmas- I LOVE to give gifts, decorate(go a bit over board-but this is my very favorite holiday), write personal letters in all of my cards, and will be spending three full days with my mom making all kinds of treats. This is something her and I have done the last 4-5 yrs and we both look forward to it. We have a great time together making it(yes, we get exhausted by the end of the third day, that is why this year I will spend an extra night up there and come home very early Monday morning before my daycare girl comes in). But we know how much everyone loves to get all these treats to enjoy. I like to make these more than eat them, well, most of them. The toffee bars and caramel corn are hard to stay away from- just one more piece/handful ;)

So glad your room mate is working out so well- nice to have the company that is helping and not more work for you.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,189 Member
    Bah humbug! :D>:)
    I really don't like Christmas at all, because I hate obligations of any kind. However, I grudgingly admit that there are some things I do enjoy. :)

I love getting cards (hate writing them) especially if people write a bit about their year. Very cross if it's just a signature.

I do like the lights. :D This year I'm not doing a tree, but I have put up a few lights. I'm going to make a giant bauble/light arrangement. Somehow. ;)

Runny, smelly cheese. The best excuse to buy some. We call it "The Cheese Orgy".

Grandkids playing 'charades'. Not this year, unfortunately. :'(

Best thing of all, 'Nine Lessons And Carols' from Kings College Chapel at 3 pm GMT Christmas Eve. This old atheist always cries. (You can listen across the pond live on Sounds app. At your time zone, obviously! ) The boy singing solo at the start always sets me off.

Opening our Santa presents in bed. (Yes Tracey)

'Kirstie 's Christmas Crafts' on TV. I love watching people making wonderful, intricate things I can't be bothered to make. :p

Happy Christmas! (To those who celebrate)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,499 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/family- 1hr 41min 7sec, 3.0ap, 85ahr, 106mhr, 5.36mi= 517c
    Strava app = 649c
    Zwift bike trainer- 29.02min, 22.8amph, 136ahr, 159mhr, 184elev, 11.04mi= 327c
    Strava app = 272c

Total cal 844
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,329 Member
    Worked today. No formal exercise, but I think I got my steps in. Work tomorrow. Then soup kitchen Friday. Work Saturday.

Got a real sweet card from Rebecca. She said that she’s taking a break from social media and if someone would like to write to her, she’d be more than happy to write back. Just PM me and I’ll send you her address.

Tracey – I have no idea if there are any rules about flying state to state or not. I think Canada is more strict than the US. I know a lady on our bowling league couldn’t go to her father’s funeral in Canada and then she couldn’t go to her mother’s

M – yup, that’s why I’m not happy (all the traveling and possible contact). She might not be as susceptible as I am (she’s younger). I guess I just have to put it all in God’s hands.

Barbara – when I’ve sent things that needed to be protected, I’ve used popcorn as a filler

Put the popcorn on two of the trees. We’d put it on three others yesterday. Two of them get garland. We just have to put it on two more

One of the radio stations around here has started to play Christmas music. This is interesting because for the past few years they haven’t played it until the week before Christmas. I’m just not ready yet for constant Christmas music so I change the radio station.

Went to Publix and got the farmer cheese I needed then Vince and I went to Hobby Lobby for him to get a frame for the puzzle I made for him and for me to get more buttons for the towel toppers I made. At first I was surprised at how many people were in Hobby Lobby, but then I realized that it makes sense.

Carol GA – thanks for telling me about Allie. Poor gal. Will certainly keep her in my prayers.

Told Vince that he needs to decorate the top of the main tree (it’s 9’ tall). I just can’t go up and down the ladder. Usually I decorate it, but I can only do the bottom portion that I can reach by standing. I need to get started on that. I feel like I have more energy than I had Monday. So the foot is getting better. Maybe Jess will decorate the top. That's an idea.

Tina CA – (((HUG)))

Food Lion has (for some reason) some carts outside by the building so I need to bring them to the side of the store. I found out today the hard way that in the morning, I need to bring a pair of gloves with me. My hands were frozen!

Newcomer bowling tonight. I obviously can’t bowl, but I’ll go there to support everyone

Michele NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,040 Member
    Goal is to have indoor decorations and newsletter done by Monday.

I take a lot of time on my newsletter. I collect comics through the year and then make a collage with what is relevant for the year. One of my favorites is a young boy painting a monster that says mask up. I use it to say I still enjoy painting, so I do not write much. This will help with all the loses our family suffered this year. Then I do not have to keep repeating it. For that I found a cross and then surrounded it with hearts to commemorate our son, sister-in -law, and cousin.

:heart:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    (((Allie:))) Best wishes for a complete recovery and return to good health. I hope you’re feeling better each day. :flowerforyou:

Kim: I’m happy that your new house mate is good company. :star:

Pip: You’re exercising and staying healthy, and you seem to be very happy with your move to be near your family. Congratulations!!! :heart:

Margaret: We’re doing our Christmas decorating. We’ve got our deck lighted and our tree is waiting to be transitioned into the warmth of the house. :star:

Regarding Christmas: Our outside decorating is done as of today! We’re decorating inside the house and the only task left on the to-do list is bringing in the tree and decorating it. This year we’re on our own but expect to have facetime calls with all of our kids. Gifts for them—likely money.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,429 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I got a wonderful holiday greeting card from Rebecca today. She wrote a personal note to me. She said that I could share her address with anyone who would like to write to her. I know that she love communicating by mail and has many pen pals. If you want her address, let me know and I can send it to you in a private message.

:) We had more good weather today so I took the usual long walk in the morning with my friend and the dogs, a longer than usual walk after lunch with the dogs, and almost an hour's walk just at dark by myself. The full moon was just coming up as I got home.

:) Our current project is updating the file of computer passwords and it is something I can do only a little at a time. I am going to each site that we currently use and confirming the correctness of the password, or in some cases, changing the password. It will take many days (or weeks).

:)Michele, I'd rather find out that something was just the result of age rather than a symptom of a serious disease or condition.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

You are most welcome. I am grateful to have you in my life Barbie! And yes, I consider you ladies, family, so writing, exchanging cards etc. is my happy place. <3
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,558 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Just some thoughts
    Christmas – I give gifts, decorate, write and send cards, make and share baked goods because it gives me and others joy – sharing baked goodies with my neighbors, sharing lights with those that drive by I believe helps us be a community. And being a community separate from politics, religion or personal customs makes us stronger if (when) we face tragedy be it personal or weather/fire/earthquake…

Barbie – Thanks for keeping us going !

To everyone dealing with loss, depression and illness I send hugs!

My new house mate and I are eating dinner together many nights a week, and I love the company and the fact that he cooks ½ the time, but I have seen a few pounds creep up - he uses a huge amount of butter/oil/salad dressing and often pairs our dinner with wine. I need to speak up for pairings with hot tea (my preferred beverage) and to have a lighter hand with the fats. This is the first time in my adult life I have been cooked for with any regularity and I am loving it. I feel quite spoiled – he cooks or does dishes, vacuumes once a week (we vacuum twice a week) deals with wood and the fire every evening…. And almost always has a smile. He’s just 25 and his girl friend is just as nice. I love my connections to the next generation they are fine people.

Kim from N. California

I have so much respect and admiration for you, Kim. Your hospitality and openness to giving to others is inspirational.

Take care.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR
  • Whidislander
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: take BP, veg prep, dogs to powerline, pick out glasses, update Joe’s rx list and re-choose his Part D
    Bonus:
    Get to do: take BP, Trader Joe’s, Natural Grocers, email info to grantwriter, watch STAS Day 18 (go sniff), submit grant pics and receipts, test Bluetooth speaker so can do BB&B or T’ai Chi from voice recordings, make experimental almond paste, declutter sideboard, practice new dances (I ain’t never gonna love nobody but Cornell Crawford (Alley cat), A Little Less Broken, One margarita, I’m so used to being broke, All Night, Nothing but You, Blame it on my beating heart, Homesick); finish mulching flowerbed; broadcast cover crop seed in veg garden areas, invest another 10 minutes in prepping living trust, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, find and configure a screen time popup, figure out where to plant naked lady bulbs, and soon as it warms up above 50 and dries out below 60% humidity I’ll tape and spray paint those rusted areas of Aunt Elsie’s stove.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan next year’s garden, wishlist replenishments!

Do Good December
    1: Share the Kindness calendar with others and spread kindness: zj0pa1aq09w3.jpg

Weight on Dec 1 exactly the same as on Nov 1: 143.3 I’ll count no gain over Thanksgiving as a victory.

Just skimmin’ but Lisa’s favorite things question made me stop and think. Favorite memories all involve Mama. Favorite things now, 1=seeing Christmas lights after dark, 2=baking Mama’s almond crescents and holiday nut balls, making Auntie Di’s English Toffee with my spin, and KJ’s adult fudge while listening to Christmas records, yes vinyl on turntable, 3=the smell of fresh cut Christmas fir.

Rebecca singers seem to run in your family, does Athena Rose sing?
    Kylia @kymarai and Karen in VA @KetoneKaren so glad to see you drop by. Think of you both often.
    Kim :love: your thoughts on sharing to make community. Delighted your roomie and his GF are working out so well. A little spoiling won’t hurt you one tiny bit!
    Michele ((hugs))

OK time to “get up” do my morning thing and hit the road. TJ’s has a senior hour from 8am on Wednesdays and Saturdays and that’s where I’m heading.

Does anyone have any experience with or recommendation for a food saver gizmo? Just thought how handy it would be for sending goodies that need to be protected from damp or shifting damage.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    December: better than November.
    daily: sit with Joe: 1, weigh: 1, steps>5505=4492 vits=1 log=1 CI<CO=1 CI<250<CO=1 Tumble & Shadow 5=1 mfp=1 outside=1 up hill=1
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3 =0 rx= dance= clean 30 mins=
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=1 play=0 sew=0

I don't know if she is a singer, but she is loud and has a high voice like I did as a little girl. I was speaking with my son on his birthday last month, and I mentioned that I play "audio wars" with their Netflix account. You see I am a third party, they share the account with daughter inlaws family, so I have noticed that I have to click the audio from English subtitles on, to off. I thought that it was because they would have the sound low, so reading was just easier, but no its because she's LOUD babbling, so they keep it on, because they can't hear the show they're watching! LOL!
    I will teach her to sing! <3
    Rebecca
  • OregonMother

Michele - Are there not rules down there for flying from state to state and then isolating? I can’t fly home to New Brunswick unless I apply for permission with my reason to the province. They will then grant or deny entry. If it is granted I would have to self isolate for 14 days before seeing anyone. I have not tried to apply to go, but know that they have denied for funerals of parents, and parents in palliative. Now anyone in NB could come here and not have to isolate.

Tracey in Edmonton

We have no federal mandates -- just CDC recommendations, which are generally flouted, which is why we have the highest percentage of cases in the world . . . .

But some states have issued travel advisories/bans/recommendations. For example, my mother lives in Washington State, and now, if I go see her, to follow the guidelines, I would need to quarantine here for a week, get a negative test, and then go. But really, just a day or two after issuing those guidelines, Gov Inslee, of Washington, basically just said, "Don't come. Stay away."

We were going to try to go to Kauai, Hawaii on Dec 14, for a week. We have tickets and hotel reservation. Originally, the rules were COVID test within 72 hours of travel, wait in hotel room until negative. Then they changed it to negative test within 72 hours, before boarding. I think that is still for the state of Hawaii, but today, Kauai enacted a 14 day mandatory quarantine for anyone coming to Kauai, and the 14 day quarantine can not be done in a 'rental property.' So, we're not going. It's probably better anyway. We had talked ourselves into it being safe because everyone on the plane would have a negative test, and we weren't going to be eating out, just cooking in our room and getting food to go, but I actually feel much better about not going at all.

That was a long answer to your question. Short answer -- it's the US. States rights. It's the wild wild west down here. And nothing is actually enforceable. (Is anyone going to stop me at the border of Washington to verify that I have quarantined and tested?? No.)

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Kate UK ❤️
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Dentist visit today & I have a few sore spots. More visits to come. 🙈🙉🙊
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,794 Member
    B)
  • OregonMother
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I can see!!

I got much needed new lenses today.

M in Oz

"Insightful!" Because you can see!!! :smiley:
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,030 Member
    ☘️
  • Whidislander
    exermom wrote: »
    Worked today. No formal exercise, but I think I got my steps in. Work tomorrow. Then soup kitchen Friday. Work Saturday.

Got a real sweet card from Rebecca. She said that she’s taking a break from social media and if someone would like to write to her, she’d be more than happy to write back. Just PM me and I’ll send you her address.

Tracey – I have no idea if there are any rules about flying state to state or not. I think Canada is more strict than the US. I know a lady on our bowling league couldn’t go to her father’s funeral in Canada and then she couldn’t go to her mother’s

M – yup, that’s why I’m not happy (all the traveling and possible contact). She might not be as susceptible as I am (she’s younger). I guess I just have to put it all in God’s hands.

Barbara – when I’ve sent things that needed to be protected, I’ve used popcorn as a filler

Put the popcorn on two of the trees. We’d put it on three others yesterday. Two of them get garland. We just have to put it on two more

One of the radio stations around here has started to play Christmas music. This is interesting because for the past few years they haven’t played it until the week before Christmas. I’m just not ready yet for constant Christmas music so I change the radio station.

Went to Publix and got the farmer cheese I needed then Vince and I went to Hobby Lobby for him to get a frame for the puzzle I made for him and for me to get more buttons for the towel toppers I made. At first I was surprised at how many people were in Hobby Lobby, but then I realized that it makes sense.

Carol GA – thanks for telling me about Allie. Poor gal. Will certainly keep her in my prayers.

Told Vince that he needs to decorate the top of the main tree (it’s 9’ tall). I just can’t go up and down the ladder. Usually I decorate it, but I can only do the bottom portion that I can reach by standing. I need to get started on that. I feel like I have more energy than I had Monday. So the foot is getting better. Maybe Jess will decorate the top. That's an idea.

Tina CA – (((HUG)))

Food Lion has (for some reason) some carts outside by the building so I need to bring them to the side of the store. I found out today the hard way that in the morning, I need to bring a pair of gloves with me. My hands were frozen!

Newcomer bowling tonight. I obviously can’t bowl, but I’ll go there to support everyone

Michele NC

Hugs Michele! I am not on as LONG as I used to be, having the tablet I was constantly on. Now, I get an hour or so a day on Husbands' computer. So in actuality, I haven't left social media, just don't snack on it like I used to. :-)
    Rebecca