What book are you reading?

Replies

• slessofme
    slessofme Posts: 7,739 Member
    kkqwuxlbu5x3.jpg
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Someone suggested I read this here on MFP awhile back. Finally getting to it; I like it so far!

w0qopuy68nqb.jpg

I liked this one!

I just finished reading Memorial Drive by Natasha Trethewey. Her writing was waaaay too flowery for me but the book was interesting (and sad, because of the true story of her mother's murder).
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Someone suggested I read this here on MFP awhile back. Finally getting to it; I like it so far!

w0qopuy68nqb.jpg

I liked this one!

I just finished reading Memorial Drive by Natasha Trethewey. Her writing was waaaay too flowery for me but the book was interesting (and sad, because of the true story of her mother's murder).

I am really enjoying it so far! It's so interesting how he just wandered off without any real explanation or plan and survived for as long as he did!
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,299 Member
    March to the Stars Weber/Ringo

See, I said I'd read through the whole series. Next up is We Few and then I'll likely reread some Jennifer Crusie.
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,291 Member
    The Blue Tattoo
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    "Snowdrift and Other Stories" (Georgette Heyer)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    edited December 2020
    I just started Untamed by Glennon Doyle and I'm hooked.

Before this one, I read Firestarter by Stephen King, Comfort and Joy by Kristin Hannah and The Things We Do For Love by Kristin Hannah, and last one I finished was Invisible Girl by Lisa Jewel.

The Stranger in the Woods sounds really good.
  • Heavy Artillery by DeeDee Boobers
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Before this one, I read Firestarter by Stephen King, Comfort and Joy by Kristin Hannah and The Things We Do For Love by Kristin Hannah, and last one I finished was Invisible Girl by Lisa Jewel.

Untamed and Invisible Girl have been two of my favorites this year. Nice!
  • KosmosKitten

I was pleasantly surprised by Stranger in the Woods. He (the subject of the book) is a pretty interesting person, considering he was alone in the woods for 25+ years in Maine.
  • Tattooedbookworm
    Tattooedbookworm Posts: 15 Member
    I'm reading Stephen King it good so far
  • ReenieHJ

Untamed and Invisible Girl have been two of my favorites this year. Nice!

Unfortunately, I have to return Untamed to my sister as it's borrowed, but it's one of those books you need to read more than once and keep on the shelf for reconnecting with it. It's so good and insightful! I'm thinking of buying copies for both my dds.
  • ReenieHJ

I was pleasantly surprised by Stranger in the Woods. He (the subject of the book) is a pretty interesting person, considering he was alone in the woods for 25+ years in Maine.

Saved it to my amazon wish list. I'm weird but one of my secret fantasies has always been to run away from it all and finish out my days as a hermit. :)
  • olympos92
    olympos92 Posts: 76 Member
    hu9k16jx67bm.png

I'm adding side by side English version and the one I have in my language. :)

I'm reading this French classic. It's about love, marriage, jealousy, obssesiveness. It explains the states of love and the changing in the human being from relationship to relationship.

There are so many quotes that I liked in this book and this is one of them.
    “We are almost always the craftsman of our own unhappiness.”
  • steph6556
    steph6556 Posts: 575 Member
    8qu1mp95o5m8.jpeg
  • KosmosKitten

Saved it to my amazon wish list. I'm weird but one of my secret fantasies has always been to run away from it all and finish out my days as a hermit. :)

This is an understandable sentiment, however, it is nearly impossible to do. Most reclusive people opt to have supplies shipped to them or make a trip say.. once a month or so for goods. Knight (the person in the story), lived alone in the woods for 27 years, but did so by stealing from the plethora of cabins in the area (seasonal residents) and the camp down the road from his own campsite. He would not have survived otherwise.

It is still really interesting what he did with the waste, how he recycled empty containers for other purposes in his camp, etc. Very survivalist mentality. Hopefully, you'll enjoy the read!
  • JessBbody
    JessBbody Posts: 523 Member

I'm not that far in yet, but Dweck is a positive psychology researcher who explores fixed mindsets vs. growth mindsets.
    I'm going down the rabbit hole with positive psychology.
    This will be my 5th book on the subject this year. The others include:

Happiness by Ed Deiner
    Flourish by Martin Seligman
    What you can change and what you can't by Martin Seligman
    The How of Happiness by Sonia Lyubomirsky

3zhjydgtj99i.jpeg
  • The mathematical advantage of 58008
  • tuddy315
    tuddy315 Posts: 11,291 Member
    The Noel Diary by Richard Paul Evans
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,299 Member
    edited December 2020
    JessBbody wrote: »

I'm not that far in yet, but Dweck is a positive psychology researcher who explores fixed mindsets vs. growth mindsets.
    I'm going down the rabbit hole with positive psychology.
    This will be my 5th book on the subject this year. The others include:

Happiness by Ed Deiner
    Flourish by Martin Seligman
    What you can change and what you can't by Martin Seligman
    The How of Happiness by Sonia Lyubomirsky

3zhjydgtj99i.jpeg

Try Psychology of Hope by Rick Snyder.

Quantum Change by William Miller (not quite positive psych, but change psych, which is somewhat similar...cog-beh).