Time to Gain! Anyone running a bulk?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2020
    I haven't gained or loss. I am in a bit of limbo or unintentional recomp mode since before Thanksgiving. I am still training hard, but still dealing with residual back pain even though it hasn't effected my ability to squat or deadlift, which is interesting. I am already back to a 255lb high bar squat (old 1 RM was 285). So my anecdotal evidence would suggest that doing heavy leg press really helped maintain my squat strength, even over a year or so of no squats. I was up to 540 on leg press for 4 sets of 6-8.

I am debating about just recomping for the next few months or still pushing towards a goal of 160 by xmas. I am definitely focusing on high protein, high fiber now. And most days, I am in the low carb category... even have a few days that are more keto.

I am fluctuating around 164-165.
  • kbaby2020
    kbaby2020 Posts: 63 Member
    I’m technically in a bulk because I’m pregnant with baby #2 haha 😂
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Recovery is getting there. Now mixing in a bit of rehab. Hope to be lifting by the new year
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    After being talked off the ledge earlier in the week I'm doing ok. I think part of the problem was some of the clothes I've been wearing. Some of my favorite gear just isn't flattering when I've got a little extra baggage. The last few days I've been wearing looser pants & shorts but tighter shirts to basically trick myself into trusting the process more and focus on feeling like I'm going to hulk out of shirts instead of my waistline flab... I actually think it's worked a little.
  • steveko89
    Additionally, the confluence of programming hip thrusts for my wife, a blurb I saw about using them as a hip activation warmup for deadlifts, and the advocacy for them on this thread has me dabbling with hip thrusts for the first time and I’ve definitely been missing out.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Additionally, the confluence of programming hip thrusts for my wife, a blurb I saw about using them as a hip activation warmup for deadlifts, and the advocacy for them on this thread has me dabbling with hip thrusts for the first time and I’ve definitely been missing out.

You can dig around on YouTube and find a video where Contreras argues that hip thrusts should be a "main lift", up there with the squat, deadlift and bench press. I couldn't figure out if it was tongue-in-cheek or not, and obviously he has a bias, but it was humorous whatever the reason.
  • alexmose2
    alexmose2 Posts: 208 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    How is everyone doing?
    I'm staying at my parents house for a few weeks since we are in between homes. I brought some equipment from my gym (my bands, ankle weight and a 40lb kettlebell) but no heavy weights.. they have 2x 5,10, 20lb dumbbells and a cable machine (with limited attachments). I can do quite a bit since my program isn't too barbell heavy so we'll see. I debated eating at maintenance then thought, meh, even if I gain 0.02lb of muscle and the rest fat better than nothing.

My parents have a double wall of mirror in their bathroom by the gym so I had a look at my physique from a 360 view in between sets. I think this might be my last bulk. (So sad!! :'( ) I'm really happy with my progress and I could probably recomp or run 5lb bulks from now on and focus on fitness and strength goals. I never thought I'd be almost "done" but here I am.
    What makes you say this is your last one?
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I haven't gained or loss. I am in a bit of limbo or unintentional recomp mode since before Thanksgiving. I am still training hard, but still dealing with residual back pain even though it hasn't effected my ability to squat or deadlift, which is interesting. I am already back to a 255lb high bar squat (old 1 RM was 285). So my anecdotal evidence would suggest that doing heavy leg press really helped maintain my squat strength, even over a year or so of no squats. I was up to 540 on leg press for 4 sets of 6-8.

I am debating about just recomping for the next few months or still pushing towards a goal of 160 by xmas. I am definitely focusing on high protein, high fiber now. And most days, I am in the low carb category... even have a few days that are more keto.

I am fluctuating around 164-165.

Same here on rehabbing back pain but I just replaced squats w goblet, split squats, leg press and thrust. Otherwise I’m on a bulk now, and I have some to catch up on since being sick for a month.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    @alexmose2 this is bulk #4 for me . I feel like I've almost reached my goal. Obviously I will re-evaluate when I'm done.

Sounds like you are feeling better. Glad to hear you are back on the bulk :)
  • steveko89
    I'd be remiss if I didn't thank everyone again for talking me off the ledge last week. The last two weeks I'm averaging right at target lean bulk intake and feeling good about what I see in the mirror. Trend weight has actually dipped ~0.8 lbs despite being consistently in a surplus and having pizza, donuts, and multiple cupcakes over the last few days to celebrate my son's second birthday.
  • psuLemon
    General reflections of my weight over the past year. Overall, down 10 lbs with periods of increase which was vacation/beach trips.

I did go down a belt and pants size and starting to see good definition in my ab areas. And while i didnt get a low as i wanted, i am pleased.

bkkzmgfrar5k.jpg
  • alexmose2
    General reflections of my weight over the past year. Overall, down 10 lbs with periods of increase which was vacation/beach trips.

I did go down a belt and pants size and starting to see good definition in my ab areas. And while i didnt get a low as i wanted, i am pleased.

bkkzmgfrar5k.jpg

This is shaping up to be a banner year for you! Good job!
  • psuLemon
    alexmose2 wrote: »

bkkzmgfrar5k.jpg

This is shaping up to be a banner year for you! Good job!

Thank you. It's definitely shaping up better than I expected it to. For some reason, it felt like i made very little progress.

This is why i explain to my wife how important data gathering is. If i wasn't tracking, i likely would have thought i didn't make progress.
  • steveko89
    Hit 18 weeks gaining today. Up to nearly 179 by trend weight so up a little over 6 lbs total. I've not been sleeping all that well but I switched my pillows around last night and found some improvement. Subsequently, I keep blowing through my alarm and not been getting all my accessory sets. Main lifts have been good though, same with how I look and feel with clothes on... trying not to let the extra midsection flab get in my head.

How's everyone else doing?
  • LGreenfield7
    LGreenfield7 Posts: 75 Member
    Hit 18 weeks gaining today. Up to nearly 179 by trend weight so up a little over 6 lbs total. I've not been sleeping all that well but I switched my pillows around last night and found some improvement. Subsequently, I keep blowing through my alarm and not been getting all my accessory sets. Main lifts have been good though, same with how I look and feel with clothes on... trying not to let the extra midsection flab get in my head.

I appreciate you sharing. I am up 4-5 lbs in the past 3 and a half weeks. I have a 12 week bulk lined up and I am aiming for 160 after i cut back down. (I am 5'6" and currently 153lbs at 17% body fat) feel free to add me, id love to see how your whole bulk works out.

I know what you mean about the strength, last December I had a measly 185 one rep max squat. I started training hard in August and just squatted 225 for 4 sets of 8 yesterday.
  • steveko89

I appreciate you sharing. I am up 4-5 lbs in the past 3 and a half weeks. I have a 12 week bulk lined up and I am aiming for 160 after i cut back down. (I am 5'6" and currently 153lbs at 17% body fat) feel free to add me, id love to see how your whole bulk works out.

I know what you mean about the strength, last December I had a measly 185 one rep max squat. I started training hard in August and just squatted 225 for 4 sets of 8 yesterday.

Sent you a FR yesterday.

Most here know I love me some data and graphs... probably to a fault.

First graph is daily weight for the year, second since the start of my bulk, third trending calories.

d5r2ebjbhnwx.png

My historic TDEE trends right around 2515 but the math says an average 2575 over the last 6 weeks, which I find interesting. I honestly was hoping to cut more before bulking but decided to lean into that weight inflection point in mid-August so I can't say I came into this with any sort of plan in terms of duration. Fortunately, this is my last day in the office for the year so I'll be able to emphasize my workouts and recovery for the next two weeks.
  • psuLemon
    Merry Christmas everyone! May santa bring everyone some extra gains!

I got 60 days until i have a ski trip. Going to challenge myself to be strict for that period to get to 155-157.

Going to run a 6 day program (Chest/arms, legs, back/shoulders/traps) and run TKD with 30g of carbs pre workout.
  • shredsx
    shredsx Posts: 44 Member
    Merry Christmas everyone! May santa bring everyone some extra gains!

I got 60 days until i have a ski trip. Going to challenge myself to be strict for that period to get to 155-157.

Going to run a 6 day program (Chest/arms, legs, back/shoulders/traps) and run TKD with 30g of carbs pre workout.

best of luck to you on your journey!
  • steveko89
    Happy New Year, all.

I hit 20 weeks bulking and I think I’ve seen enough for now; I’m estimating that I’m getting close to 15% and the last few pounds have felt inefficient as far as fat gain. I do think I’ve made some decent lean gains though, especially my chest shoulders and legs. The scale topped out with a trend weight of 179.6, up from 172.8 back in August. Pretty linear increase right at ~1.3 lbs/month. Plan is to cut at 0.5-0.7% body weight per week for 12 weeks and then maintain or gain a little before the online powerlifting competition I usually do in May.
    zwo17ycnqdvz.jpeg
  • alexmose2
    Happy New Year, all.

I hit 20 weeks bulking and I think I’ve seen enough for now; I’m estimating that I’m getting close to 15% and the last few pounds have felt inefficient as far as fat gain. I do think I’ve made some decent lean gains though, especially my chest shoulders and legs. The scale topped out with a trend weight of 179.6, up from 172.8 back in August. Pretty linear increase right at ~1.3 lbs/month. Plan is to cut at 0.5-0.7% body weight per week for 12 weeks and then maintain or gain a little before the online powerlifting competition I usually do in May.
    zwo17ycnqdvz.jpeg

Congratulations! It must take some mental effort to go more than 12 weeks of bulking. You have clarl made some progress! Do you think this cut will be "easy"? Do you feel ready to cut? I find that even on a 250 cal surplus, I am one hungry gal.