Fasting vs. CICO for weight loss

wruper
wruper Posts: 43 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
thefastingmethod.com/how-do-we-gain-weight-calories-part-1/

by Dr. Jason Fung is an informational blog. What is your experience with calorie cutting as primary methos of weight loss?

Replies

• cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Just looking to learn (not cause a debate): Doesn't IF help people with prediabetes/insulin resistance?

I agree that CICO is all that is needed for weightloss. I am just wondering if IF has an advantage for other health issues (for people that suffer from those health issues, of course). Maybe OP has other health concerns?
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    edited December 2020
    @lemurcat2 @AnnPT77 : Yup, OP didn't mention anything on health and has not returned with answers. Thanks for the reply.

@psychod787 : Spencer Nadalsky looks super-interesting! I'll take that tip!
    EDIT: Thank you for this! I am looking into his PCOS stuff right now and learning a LOT.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    cremorna1 wrote: »
    Just looking to learn (not cause a debate): Doesn't IF help people with prediabetes/insulin resistance?

I agree that CICO is all that is needed for weightloss. I am just wondering if IF has an advantage for other health issues (for people that suffer from those health issues, of course). Maybe OP has other health concerns?

Fasting is simply one of many methods in an attempt to eat less...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    I see Fung has found another way to try to monetise fat people.....

My experience is that when I cut calories I lose weight (counting calories helped enormously with that), when I eat around maintenance calories I maintain (like I have for the last 7 years) and when I overeat I gain weight.

I used a version of intermittent fasting to help make it easier for me to adhere to my calorie allowance while calorie counting and losing weight but it was the reduction in calories that caused me to lose fat.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    My experience of calorie cutting as my primrary means of weight loss - worked fine and then maintained fine for following 7 years.

Of course everyone who loses weight does so by calorie cutting - but I assume what you meant was calorie counting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

well this is the debate forum...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    ndj1979 wrote: »

well this is the debate forum...

You're back!