What nobody tells you about losing weight

Replies

• nitalieben
    nitalieben Posts: 680 Member
    eijaj wrote: »
    Things I genuinely did not know.

I will get narrower. I felt where the bones on my hips and shoulders were, and I thought I was just wide body type and that´s it. That those bones would stay where they are and I would always be as wide as I am. But no. It is fat that is pushing all my structures outwards, and when I get slimmer, I will get narrower.

I never realised, but you're right!
  • Sand_TIger
    Sand_TIger Posts: 1,072 Member
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    been a while...weirdest thing i noticed was i had a tiny "tail" lol. Not a legit tail like you see sometimes when the spine extends...but a tiny tail bump from the same sort of situation. Hurts like hell to hit.. Also butt bones and how awkward they were lol

I've got a tailbump too! Didn't expect it either, having looked at spinal anatomy. It's a pain.
  • Laney_7
    Laney_7 Posts: 13 Member
    charmmeth wrote: »
    For me this was certainly not the case. (Sadly!) I grant that I have never been out of the overweight category into obese, but I have been right on the boundary. What I had to learn about losing weight was that for me it is mostly about portion control.
    Initially I lost weight through portion control but honestly for me it's not sustainable. I get around it by filling up on leafy greens, low-starch vegetables, and fresh fruit. Chef AJ's book got me down the "vegetables for breakfast" path and it's been so much easier than calorie counting or portion control.

My weight was stable doing this until life as we know it stopped and I attempted to cope through stress eating. It made me feel even worse so that little experiment is over.
  • charmmeth wrote: »
    Laney_7 wrote: »
    Initially I lost weight through portion control but honestly for me it's not sustainable. I get around it by filling up on leafy greens, low-starch vegetables, and fresh fruit. Chef AJ's book got me down the "vegetables for breakfast" path and it's been so much easier than calorie counting or portion control.

I wonder what you mean by portion control? What I mean is realising that eating 100-150g of pasta per head at a meal is not one portion but two. That we don't need to be preparing 500g of potatoes for two people. Or that if I am cooking mince (ground beef?) for two, 250 g is more than enough for both of us as the basis of a sauce. (I explain this over catering by remembering that I used to cook for members of a rugby club!) We eat lots of vegetables and I track my calories, with the help of mfp, but working out what a normal portion was was the first, and for us really important, step.

I can't eat most of the leafy green vegetables and beans at all, due to IBS. So I've had to do it all with more or less halving normal portions. My body has got used to eating that amount, so that makes things easier; overeating for me is now spending all evening grazing, not eating too much at a meal. It makes me physically sick if I try. I'm much more mindful of the calorie density of various foods, but I still eat some dense things because if I don't I won't get my calories in.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!