How do you get through a plateau in weight loss?

rbrooks4434
rbrooks4434 Posts: 3 Member
edited March 2021 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been plateaued at about 10 pounds more than where I want to be for a month. I consistently eat fewer calories than recommended. I get the message that I am not being healthy in my weight loss, but, I am not losing weight.

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I have been plateaued at about 10 pounds more than where I want to be for a month. I consistently eat fewer calories than recommended. I get the message that I am not being healthy in my weight loss, but, I am not losing weight.

Eat maintenance calories for 2 weeks. If you are failing to nourish your body properly you are likely in a state of stress which makes you retain water. You can retain water for lots of reasons but your OP suggests stress.
  • rbrooks4434
    Good point. Sorry , but what is OP?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    Good point. Sorry , but what is OP?

Original Post :smile:
  • rbrooks4434
    Got it . Thanks.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Second the maintenance calories for 2 weeks. I know I need a diet break when I don’t lose anything for 3 weeks. Then I do an intentional 2 weeks at maintenance and when I return to eating in a deficit, BAM the magic resumes.

That said, when you resume eating in a deficit if you only have 10 left to lose, your rate of loss will be VERY slow and your tracking will need to be seriously on point (including proper macro distribution). I still have enough excess that I don’t have to be super concerned with my macros, but I know at some point, I will have to be hyper focused if I want to hit goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,451 Member
    Also, realize what a "plateau" really is. In weight loss, it's 6 weeks or more of no weight movement IF you've been totally consistent. So if you're meals, exercise, stress levels and sleep have been the same for 6 weeks, then yes. But if you've indulged in foods or drinks, lack sleep, gone through some stressful event, etc. within that time, it's NOT a plateau. This would be a stall and you just have to get back on track.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • amiichica
    amiichica Posts: 1 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Also, realize what a "plateau" really is. In weight loss, it's 6 weeks or more of no weight movement IF you've been totally consistent. So if you're meals, exercise, stress levels and sleep have been the same for 6 weeks, then yes. But if you've indulged in foods or drinks, lack sleep, gone through some stressful event, etc. within that time, it's NOT a plateau. This would be a stall and you just have to get back on track.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Agreed, understanding what a plateau really is. If you have gone through the checklist and haven't fallen off track for the 6 weeks, and had great sleep ect... bringing up your calories to almost maintenance will help jumpstart your weight loss. Our bodies adapt to everything we do, same workout routine, same food intake...so changing it up and eating a little more than you normally do will help. Just be mindful of what extra calories you're putting in, sometimes you will even notice that you'll start losing weight even with the extra calories. Then you can reduce it after. Make sure to stay hydrated throughout the day as well.