Running

I recently started running in June and I have increased my run up to 3 miles. I happened to mention it to my family and they just said that since I’m 38 I shouldn’t run... do any of the people who run know if age would effect anything? Any suggestions to keep safe ?

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    You'll find on this site there are runners of ALL ages, I have friends in their 60s and 70s who run with no issues - so as the song says..'keep on running' :smiley:
  • Wear your PT belt so you don't get hit by cars and most of the danger is gone.
  • Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    edited December 2020
    You are not even halfway in age where these oldies are https://www.oldest.org/sports/marathon-runners/
    People that say you shouldn't tend to be too lazy to even try. My parents were harassing me for ages about it was well when I tool up running 4 years ago at 48. It has silenced now a bit
  • jadu1536
    jadu1536 Posts: 112 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    38? I've got socks that old. ;-). Ran my first half marathon at 61, still running, at 65, planning on my first marathon in October 2021, was supposed to be 2020, but, you know. Right now just finishing up a 175 virtual "race", G.W. Bridge to Cape May, NJ. 9 miles to go and have til Christmas. If it feels good, do it. You ask: "do any of the people who run know if age would effect anything?" Yep, slowed down some. I have noticed that my half mile splits equal my high school mile splits. Recovery sometimes is a little longer. I look forward to stretches after a run and my puppy cool down walks are appreciated by both me and the puppy. Sprinting is problematic. Keep on keeping on. if you enjoy it, have at it.

Thank You for the feedback!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I'm 41 and I run about 40 miles a week. The key is to gradually build your mileage (don't add too much at once) and listen to your body. Running is for people of all ages. I see a guy in my neighborhood who has to be at least 80 and he's running several times a week. My mom didn't complete her first marathon until she was in her 60s. We may not be as fast as the younger people, but running doesn't have to be about being the fastest -- it's about getting out there and proving that you can do it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I'm just curious if they threw some explanation in there for their comment.
    Seems wild they'd leave it at "you shouldn't run, pass the brussel sprouts please".

Like have they never seen the start of the big marathons on national or local news for even the few moments that shows all manner of runners starting?
    Have they never driven on Sat or Sun morning and been surprise blocked by a race going on and watched who passed in front of them?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Consider the case of Fauja Singh....

"Singh had stated that he would retire from competitive running after taking part in the Hong Kong marathon on 24 February 2013, five weeks shy of his 102nd birthday. He completed the 10 kilometre run at the Hong Kong marathon in 1 hour 32 minutes and 28 seconds and said that he intends to continue running for pleasure, health and charity."

Taken from - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fauja_Singh
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    I was closer to 50 when I started and, so far, the only negative has been spending money on smaller clothes. One of the real advantages of starting later in life is (assuming the racing bug bites you) that you'll be improving for quite a few more years and setting PRs while your contemporaries are slowing down (they could still be faster than you but their PR days are behind them)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    If you don't have any joint or other issues, 38 is fine...that's not even old. I can't run anymore because it causes my plantar fasciitis and posterior tibial tendinitis to flare up on me pretty much every time...but I never really enjoyed it much either and much prefer cycling.

My wife is 46 and she runs 3-5 miles 5x per week. My mom is 66 and just recently stopped doing sprint triathlons, but she still runs. My sister is 43 and regularly runs marathons.

I'm curious as to their reasoning...
  • OtisBuck
    OtisBuck Posts: 21 Member
    I am 70 and run 20-25 miles a week with no problems. Just watch for distracted drivers.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    jadu1536 wrote: »
    I recently started running in June and I have increased my run up to 3 miles. I happened to mention it to my family and they just said that since I’m 38 I shouldn’t run... do any of the people who run know if age would effect anything? Any suggestions to keep safe ?

I'm 44 and I run Marathons. My husband's grandfather is in his 80's and if you told him he was too old to run, you'd probably get a not so pleasant stare since he's a quiet fellow. Accolades to the older runners whether it's half of a mile or 100, you rock!!!!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    41 year old runner, ran my first marathon in October.
    Training for an ultra marathon, should have been this year but postponed until next.
    I genuinely look and feel better now than I have done for about 15 years.

What has worked for me: I pay attention to food, I have to eat properly to fuel the training. I try to maintain a small deficit but the running is more important to me. I won't function properly if I eat to little.
    I don't ignore things that hurt or being really tired. A couple of days rest is better than an injury.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,343 Member
    Started running at 56, after not having run since forced at 13 for the President’s Physical Fitness test. (God, I hated that thing!!!!)

A year and a half later , because I have a tendency to get tangled in my own feet and launch into midair, I’m doing a cross between a run and a power walk. For me, it’s safer to slow it down. Always was a klutz.

I do my “runs” at least five days a week, 3 miles, occasionally more.

My trainer is 72 and she does 6-8 miles per day and averages 25-30,000+ steps a day.

My neighbor is late 70’s or older, and despite knee and hip surgery this summer, I spot him out running.

I have lots of neighbors my age and older who run the bike path nearby.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Imposing a cut-off age seems really odd, and 38 seems a particularly random number.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I ran for six or seven years after being told I needed a complete knee replacement (started at 44 and ran until around 50). A chronic runner's knee finally stopped me from running but I loved it. I loved trail running. Was easier on my knees. Unfortunately, it wasn't practical during the week as there were no close trails to me.

Find a comfortable pair of shoes. Even if you have to go to a running shoe store. That was the only drawback to me. People say running isn't expensive. I just bought some Hokas for my wife. $220. That's ridiculous. But great shoes are necessary. Shop around for last year's shoe models and make sure that the ones you pick are proper for your arch and also proper for your gait -- overpronate, underpronate or neutral. My wife is a serious overpronater and has no arches. I'm neutral and have a high arch. Totally different shoe types. Sketchers just came out with a Hoka knockoff that is like $70 and they are fantastic. People tend to love Brooks. Overrated IMHO. I liked Mizuno more. If they had the Sketcher (Hoka knockoffs) when I ran years ago, I likely could have gone on a few more years.

And yes, running is good for your knees, despite what you hear. The reason I stopped is if I didn't run on trails, I stayed inflammed in my legs for three hours after a run. That much inflammation isn't healthy, it was counterproductive. That only started toward the end. I miss trail running. Closest thing to nature that I've done. Wonderful experiences.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,343 Member
    I get fitted for shoes at the local running store, buy a pair from them, and if I like them, buy more online. Amazon usually has unpopular colors for a big discount. If you click on all the colors in the listing, you’ll see the prices vary. I got some ugly *kitten* mermaid green shoes, but what the hey, they work as intended.

Good shoes (and socks- I LOVE Balega socks) can make all the difference between misery and comfort,
  • Well. I'm 37 and I've just started running again. Literally today. Yes at the moment I feel like a panting hippo that does more walking than running but I'm confident that my personal fitness will improve. That's all that matters, is what you feel about it.