GERD

kglowins
kglowins Posts: 111 Member
I am six years out from my sleeve surgery. And I have done really well and been happy with the procedure/process and have maintained my 150lb weight loss. However, since day one I have been on an acid reducer which worked well until October 2019. It really was overnight that the medication no longer worked and I had severe reflux. I discovered that I had a significant hiatal hernia and I had it repaired in December. However, I am still have reflux issues. I am told my only other option is to convert my sleeve to the bypass to eliminate the reflux. I am curious if anyone else has been through converting a sleeve to bypass and what that experience was like or if you did discover other options to manage gerd that worked so you could avoid another surgery. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

Replies

• peachyfinn
    peachyfinn Posts: 2 Member
    Hi there! First off WOW congrats on your loss and the fact that you are maintaining it! RNY doesn't really eliminate reflux. I get heart burn on occasion (I'm 6 months post op) but I never had gerd before RNY. I do know others who still struggle with it. Caffeine affects me and so does dark chocolate. I barley have either of these but if I do that's when I get reflux. Good luck!
  • MeghannVT01
    MeghannVT01 Posts: 7 Member
    I went through a revision due primarily to extreme GERD this past January. I also had some regain. I have not had any reflux since I woke up from surgery. My surgeon has done quite a few revisions and warned me that it will mostly fix my reflux, but if I eat trigger foods, I could still experience some. So far I'm not far out enough to really have any of the potential trigger foods. But the GERD with the sleeve was unbearable. It's like a whole new life! If I only get it when I eat trigger foods going forward, that's something I can manage. I'm no longer waking up choking on stomach acid. I'm not in constant pain. It's pretty great so far :)
  • mae7365
    mae7365 Posts: 66 Member
    I had a revision on 10/29/2020 due to extreme GERD, severe gastritis and esophagitis. Haven't had an episode of reflux since surgery. Plus I've lost 23 pounds since surgery and I'm sure the weight loss helps as well. As @MeghannVT01 stated, I no longer wake up with a mouth full of acid, choking, coughing and having to sleep on a recliner.
  • kglowins
    kglowins Posts: 111 Member
    @MeghannVT01 Can I ask if you're still happy with your conversion to bypass surgery? I hit my Gerd hard with some medication from my gi dr and now I'm back to managing it. But I have a feeling revision to get rid of the Gerd may still be in my future. I just don't want to have to go down that road if Gerd will still be present.