Meal Prep - do you do it?

bebeisfit
bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
Do you cook a few meals in one day, or cook every day?

We make maybe 3 meals a week and have leftovers the other 3 or 4. Take out maybe once a week.

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Kind of a combination, similar to what you posted. I always make enough for leftovers for lunches or dinners later in the week, and I sometimes cook up a big pot of something over the weekend that is intended for lunches.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    I almost always cook multiple meals daily, using the term "cook" somewhat loosely. (Sometimes lunch will be something like an apple with peanut butter, or cottage cheese and cherry tomatoes.) I'm not mostly a recipe person, more "wing it", but with common recurring themes (stir fry, Italian-esque pasta, Asian-esque pasta, tostadas, Indian-style veggie dishes, etc. - but the details and seasonings differ). Most of these things are simple, not time-consuming. I like variety, don't have routine major time constraints, I'm a whim-ful person, and I find meal prep kind of a soothing ritual as long as I'm not pressed for time.

I do prep giant batches of dried legumes, just legumes and salt, and freeze them in 2C tempered glass bowls. I try to have a couple types in the freezer most of the time. I can pull them out, zap them to thawed in the microwave, then use in a dishes. One bowl is usually enough for two meals for one person, once other ingredients are added. I do the same thing with my favorite heirloom Winter squash variety, since it's only available in Fall (and is not a great keeper). Usually, I try to freeze enough 2C bowls of roasted/smashed squash to have some every other week all year. (If you're sensing that I have a good-sized chest freezer in the basement, you'd be correct.) On the rare occasion, I'll make a big batch of 1C crustless mini-quiche, and freeze to use for quick meals.

Very often, I'll roast big batches of multiple veggies, and keep them in the fridge to use as ingredients or sides over the course of a few days. Once the oven is hot, might as well do a bunch of stuff.

Once in a while, I make something that it's harder to make small (or fussy to do small), like lasagna, for example, and freeze the extra portions. If something ends up being two meals worth (not a dozen!), I do then just refrigerate and eat in a day or two.

I've only had takeout a few times since the pandemic. I'm trying to organize/encourage myself to get it more often, just to support the local businesses better. Since I'm a vegetarian, finding tasty calorie-efficient but also nutrition-efficient options is always a little more complicated, and the pandemic restrictions have made it easier for me to stick to calorie goals, with fewer food-focused social events (including restaurant meals with friends).
  • SavageMrsMoose
    SavageMrsMoose Posts: 633 Member
    I do HelloFresh 3 times a week and wing it the other days- usually start thinking about dinner about 10 am LOL!
    With just me and my husband its pretty easy to throw something together.
  • RunningMaven57
    RunningMaven57 Posts: 24 Member
    We try to meal plan each week, in an effort to reduce waste. My goal for 2021 is to get better at this and be consistent, so we're not throwing money in the garbage. Prepping meals really helps.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    When the kids were young - i would spend Sunday afternoon putting together a menu for the week, grocery list and go shopping. My mother taught me this habit, but looking back it was my time to be by myself, husband in charge of kids, but it worked out so well no one questioned this schedule. As my oldest left for college I started scheduling only one or 2 days ahead, I have more time to shop now. I still map out in mind, fish, beef, chicken salmon, pork...I try to cook in season vegetables. I love eating leftovers for lunch. My husband even asked me this morning what I had scheduled tonight- I have tuna defrosting for sushi a family favorite and opposite dinner to last nights decadent spaghetti and hubby's family meatball recipe.
  • Cafelelia
    Cafelelia Posts: 1,298 Member
    We do meal plan and prep. I wash and chop a lot of fruits and vegetables in advance. We also batch cook soup and some meals on Sundays. I still have kids at home, so I also prep lunches for them. In getting to maintenance, I found that the planning and prep helped a lot. It eliminates not knowing what to eat and reverts to a lot of take out.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    When I drove to work I used to spend a few hours on Sundays meal prepping. I started working from home in 2011, which gave me more flexibility. This time of year I would often get a meal into the crockpot during my lunch break to be ready for dinner. I have Korean beef stew in the slow cooker now.
  • I have to admit, I’m totally spoiled. My husband does all the grocery shopping, meal planning and cooking.
    Pretty near every day I eat the same breakfast (1 tbsp each chia, flax, hemp, 30 grams Dorset muesli, 170 grams Greek yoghurt, enough milk to make it smooth). Most days I have garden salad for lunch. Then eat whatever my husband makes for dinner.
    He typically cooks 6 days a week. Then there is one day a week when we have leftovers.