Anyone have experience with combating Binge Eating Disorder B.E.D or night time eating?

Just curious how people combat B.E.D or night time eating. Any tips, experiences, and strategic methods?

Replies

• New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    I stopped over restricting, or letting a bad day make me think of restricting.
    And therapy.
  • GYMFOCUSED1
    GYMFOCUSED1 Posts: 8 Member
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    I sure wish I knew the answer to this! What has helped me is eating enough so I don't end up starving. I get on this binge/starve cycle. I am now trying to eat more so I don't get so hungry I end up binging. Hope this helps.
    Best to you.

Thanks I have a similar pattern
  • GYMFOCUSED1
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    sarah7591 wrote: »
    I sure wish I knew the answer to this! What has helped me is eating enough so I don't end up starving. I get on this binge/starve cycle. I am now trying to eat more so I don't get so hungry I end up binging. Hope this helps.
    Best to you.

This. The body compensates for lack of food by ramping up hunger hormones especially ghrelin and cortisol. Eating enough is what helped me.

Yes I have to try this also! thanks for the suggestion
  • GYMFOCUSED1
    Getting enough sleep is one part of it. If you don't sleep enough, your hormones shift and you will be hungrier.

I find that exercise and generally doing things all day helps, because then I don't want to stay up and eat all night, when it's bedtime, I want to go to sleep, I'm tired! So figure up how much sleep you need to be rested, count back from when you need to get up, and there's your bedtime.

I also have found that personally a snack with protein, fat, and carbs in it is what I need before bed. Currently that is cheese and crackers, but everyone has their own way of handling this.

Past that it's figuring out my triggers and working out ways to handle them. My binging feeds on secrecy and shame; I handle it by telling my partners when I'm doing it or telling them that I did it last night. I get munchy when I'm in pain. (I have chronic pain.) Often the proper thing to do if I am munchy in the evening is for me to take the evening batch of pills, and wait fifteen minutes; often then I am no longer munchy and restless, and can just do something else. Like going to bed on time.

Cause if you go to bed on time, you sleep through all those problematic snacking hours!

Yes my sleeping is horrible so thats something i need to try to improve
  • GYMFOCUSED1
    And therapy.

Interesting you mention therapy, I considered this
  • GYMFOCUSED1
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    Staying busy and engaged. I start to feel 'hungry', even 'starving', when I'm understimulated.

...do not ask how the Covid lockdowns and restrictions have gone for me...

hopefully the vaccine shortens the covid lockdowns
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    And therapy.

Interesting you mention therapy, I considered this

Therapy is the only thing that helped me. I had to get my mental health under control, switching coping mechanisms didn't really help me.