What "trendy" foods do you have no interest in trying?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I'll try anything (as long as it's vegetarian): I think that's fun, and sometimes there are wonderful surprises. That's not to say I'll order a whole big portion of something I'm unexcited about, or prepare some complicated dish that's less than actively intriguing. Offered a free taste, though, I'm in.

IME, trendiness is completely tangent to enjoyability.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited December 2020
    The only things listed that I think could be considered trendy are mushroom coffee (I've tried it, didn't think it was horrible tasting, but it's not replacing coffee or tea for me) and smoothie bowls (which just don't appeal since one of the things I like about smoothies is that I can drink them). Maybe the BeyondBeef or ImpossibleBurgers are still trendy, not sure where I come down on those (I would try them out of curiosity to see if they really do taste like beef).

Poke bowls are great, and of course sushi (I also prefer sashimi) is too, but neither are at all trendy, IMO (poke bowls maybe a few years ago, and sushi in the '80s, perhaps?). But you can all call me a grinch if you like, that's okay!

(If you like sushi, I don't see why you wouldn't try a poke bowl, though. There used to be a poke place in my office building and it was a pretty easy to make a nutritious, reasonable cal meal from there.)
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    The only things listed that I think could be considered trendy are mushroom coffee (I've tried it, didn't think it was horrible tasting, but it's not replacing coffee or tea for me) and smoothie bowls (which just don't appeal since one of the things I like about smoothies is that I can drink them). Maybe the BeyondBeef or ImpossibleBurgers are still trendy, not sure where I come down on those (I would try them out of curiosity to see if they really do taste like beef).

Poke bowls are great, and of course sushi (I also prefer sashimi) is too, but neither are at all trendy, IMO (poke bowls maybe a few years ago, and sushi in the '80s, perhaps?). But you can all call me a grinch if you like, that's okay!

(If you like sushi, I don't see why you wouldn't try a poke bowl, though. There used to be a poke place in my office building and it was a pretty easy to make a nutritious, reasonable cal meal from there.)

Generally speaking, I don't like things in bowls. Poke bowls, grain bowls, smoothie bowls..
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2020
    The only things listed that I think could be considered trendy are mushroom coffee (I've tried it, didn't think it was horrible tasting, but it's not replacing coffee or tea for me) and smoothie bowls (which just don't appeal since one of the things I like about smoothies is that I can drink them).

That's pretty much my opinion on smoothie bowls as well. I don't really understand the point of putting something in a bowl if I can make it portable by putting it in a cup and drinking it through a straw. I mean it looks pretty, I guess, but I think I'd more likely be wearing it than eating/drinking it. (That's my other concern...how do you consume it? With a spoon? I guess I've never really asked.)
  • lemurcat2

Generally speaking, I don't like things in bowls. Poke bowls, grain bowls, smoothie bowls..

Do you eat salad in bowls? (I do recall you are skeptical about soup.) Stew? Chili?

I often use bowls even when a plate would work (for pasta or a pasta-like dish? sure).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Is sushi still considered trendy? That'd be one. :)

IDK...I've been eating sushi for 30 years...I'd say it's past being any kind of trend. Most of the Japanese restaurants in my area have been around for a very long time.
  • amart4224
    amart4224 Posts: 345 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    weird...so people are just sitting at home eating canned ravioli, Ramen, and spaghettio's when literally everything else in the store is readily available...weird trendy foods.

Or perhaps not eating them and just adding to their stockpile for the end of the world. I noticed when this first started, grocery stores here were cleaned out of all dry pasta and canned goods. I assumed it was people buying them for long term storage, not just everyone suddenly having a pasta craving 😂
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    amart4224 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    weird...so people are just sitting at home eating canned ravioli, Ramen, and spaghettio's when literally everything else in the store is readily available...weird trendy foods.

Or perhaps not eating them and just adding to their stockpile for the end of the world. I noticed when this first started, grocery stores here were cleaned out of all dry pasta and canned goods. I assumed it was people buying them for long term storage, not just everyone suddenly having a pasta craving 😂

Probably initially...and then they realized they spent all of their money on canned ravioli just like they did toilet paper and have to choose between making rent and grocery shopping...so they're stuck with canned ravioli for weeks on end.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    The only things listed that I think could be considered trendy are mushroom coffee (I've tried it, didn't think it was horrible tasting, but it's not replacing coffee or tea for me) and smoothie bowls (which just don't appeal since one of the things I like about smoothies is that I can drink them).

That's pretty much my opinion on smoothie bowls as well. I don't really understand the point of putting something in a bowl if I can make it portable by putting it in a cup and drinking it through a straw. I mean it looks pretty, I guess, but I think I'd more likely be wearing it than eating/drinking it. (That's my other concern...how do you consume it? With a spoon? I guess I've never really asked.)

To me, it looks kind of like a stew, or chunky soup. Only cold. Only fruit/seed/nut.

I like fruit. Cold is OK, in season. Why not? 🤷‍♀️
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,693 Member
    mushroom coffee

That's a thing?

It's fantastic!
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

To me, it looks kind of like a stew, or chunky soup. Only cold. Only fruit/seed/nut.

Hmm, that's a good point. I guess it could be stew like. It kinda feels like it defeats the purpose of calling it a smoothie if there are a bunch of large fruit chunks in it, though..? Although, I like fruit, too, so nothing about it sounds unappetizing!
  • lemurcat2
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Sweet soupy stuff seems unappealing to me. Which is totally irrational, since I like ice cream and frozen yogurt, including fruity flavors, and my smoothies aren't really all that sweet, and I love cold soups. But I don't know, seems unpleasant to me, and usually the benefit of a smoothie is the drinkability. (I do not judge anyone else for liking them, of course. I also don't really see the desirability of overnight oats since for me the warmth is part of what I like about oatmeal, but everyone has their different preferences.)
  • AshHeartsJesus
    AshHeartsJesus Posts: 460 Member
    I don't like yogurt, but I think it is beyond trendy too 😒
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Charcoal bread
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    +1 for not being sure what's trendy but I'm not even curious to try any of those meme video recipes that are >=75% bacon and/or cheese by weight.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Fake meat. Usually high calorie, not very tasty. And come on, there are so many vegan food options - why immitate the looks and name of meat? I'm not vegetarian, mind.

I grew up a vegetarian and still like some fake meats better that real, but like many meats better than fake meats

I like veggie burger better than hamburger unless it is a burger patty and I like veggie hot doge better that regular hot dogs with the exception of Hebrew international hotdogs

real meat rocks when meat is not ground up in some way
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    Well there are tons of cauliflower-related things, like cauliflower "rice"....I really don't like cauliflower!

The only thing I use is the cauliflower rice and only in rice dishes to bulk up the amount and get more veggies in. Fried rice is one that I use it for, but I still use actual rice. Usually like 1/4 cauliflower and 3/4 real rice.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Is sushi still considered trendy? That'd be one. :)

I wouldn't consider sushi trendy. It's just food from another culture. I have been eating it for nearly 20 years now. And saying that sentence makes me feel old as heck.