New to Over 50 group

Hi all! I'm new to this group. Here to lose 20 lbs with the help of others going through of past menopause. I'm on a low dose of hormones and trying to eat healthier. Recently started IF as well. I try to do 16 hours 2-3 times per week and 13 hours the rest of the time. I do not know what my fat/protein/carb ratio for my body type should be either. I'm more of an apple shape or square. HELP!? Anyone? I don't look 50 at all... Don't feel it, except in the joints and regards to weight loss/metabolism.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Welcome!

In my understanding, the idea that particular body types need particular diets has been pretty much discredited (part of the "somatotypes" universe of deprecated past ideas), outside of unusual cases where a health condition both affects body type and dietary needs in an uncommon way.

I used to be an apple shape (for decades), now I'm kind of . . . linear? 😆 I eat pretty much the foods I always did while obese, just different portion sizes, proportions, frequencies.

For the typical person, calories determine bodyweight, and nutrition is important for health, energy, body composition, etc. For most people, the MFP default macro percentages are fairly reasonable, as long as someone isn't trying for too-fast weight loss for their current size, or getting unusually large amounts of exercise.

If you want more discussion than that, this is a good thread.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

Sometimes people find that particular macro distributions have individualized effects. For example, some people find more protein or more fat or more fiber very filling, so helpful for weight loss via appetite control. Some people find higher carbs spike appetite, while others find lower carbs sap their energy. That's all pretty personal, so experimentation and self-observation can be helpful.

With only 20 pounds to lose, I hope you're going for no more than a pound a week loss: Being more aggressive might make it harder to get well-rounded nutrition (even if the percentages are right).

Best wishes for much success with MFP!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    I've had decent success with a modified IF lately. I have iced coffee for "breakfast" then don't usually eat again until dinner time, unless I know I'm going for a run or bike ride.

That being said, it's really all about calories in/ calories out.

Good luck, you can do this!
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,162 Member
    Just_Ceci wrote: »
    I've had decent success with a modified IF lately. I have iced coffee for "breakfast" then don't usually eat again until dinner time, unless I know I'm going for a run or bike ride.

Good luck to you all. My question for you @Just_Ceci is how do you keep up your energy and strength not eating but once a day?
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

Good luck to you all. My question for you @Just_Ceci is how do you keep up your energy and strength not eating but once a day?

I don't need much energy or strength to sit at a desk all day.

I drink water or something throughout the day. That makes me feel fuller, I guess.

I always eat something if I know I will be doing any type of exercise.
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    I think if fasting has loads of health benefits too. I’m generally 16/8 for most days. I have the odd day off every now & then.

• annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,240 Member
    Just stuck at the moment but due to back pain exercise is a no no but fingers crossed I will start to lose soon!
    Good luck folks.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,123 Member
    Welcome @ermu67!

Slow and steady wins the race, and sets you up to keep it off. You already know this. We can do it!