Anyone here old enough to remember

2»

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I still do this. I don't own a Garmin and I don't have internet on my phone outside of my house. I know my routes and I guesstimate my time. I'm happy with what I do.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Btw, before opening it, I guessed the thread would be about Richard Simmons. My mom loved Richard Simmons, and also was into jazzercise.

I've told this story before, but this was also the era of Jane Fonda workouts (and Olivia Newton-John's Let's Get Physical, with a video indicating that it was really all about exercising). A high school friend found her mom's Jane Fonda's Pregnancy Workout video (VHS, you know) and was absolutely horrified that her mom was pregnant at her age (which of course at that time seemed comically old), but her mom explained that she just figured it would be the easiest one to start with.

Lol. This reminds me of the tapes we had at home... Jane Fonda and Buns of Steel 🤣...and everything "fat free"
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I only recently got rid of my Suzanne Somers thigh master.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    ^^^Like the flexed arm hang and amrap sit ups for 1 min?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Green one piece gym suits :#
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Green one piece gym suits :#

Ours were blue, sort of royal blue. With weird cuff-like thingies at the bottom (mid-thigh length), but elastic that was tighter, hidden under the cuff bit. Thanks for reminding me, so funny! 🤣
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,342 Member

Sorry, can’t remember. Totally blocked, and for good reason.

I was underweight and severely anemic. Running 100 feet would have me gasping for breath, with debilitating stomach cramps, and begging for mercy. The teachers would get so angry at me and accuse me of not trying and just being a complainer. Boy, would they be flabbergasted to see me run now. Part of me wonders if I’d still be picked last for kickball if we made a team today, lol.

There’s a blast from the last for you.

Kickball. Red Rover. Dodge Ball.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member

Sorry, can’t remember. Totally blocked, and for good reason.

I was underweight and severely anemic. Running 100 feet would have me gasping for breath, with debilitating stomach cramps, and begging for mercy. The teachers would get so angry at me and accuse me of not trying and just being a complainer. Boy, would they be flabbergasted to see me run now. Part of me wonders if I’d still be picked last for kickball if we made a team today, lol.

There’s a blast from the last for you.

Kickball. Red Rover. Dodge Ball.

We did the dodgeball thing. Variety of playground balls, including some that were the size of a 12 inch softball. Haven't lived until you took one of those in the head thrown from 10 ft away as a freshman from a senior who would ultimately make an NFL practice squad.

Character builder :).
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,033 Member
    I remember running - or trying to :p: - at the end of college in my neighborhood and then calculating the distance on Google Maps (or an old ancestor/cousin of it). I never used a car to measure the distance, I only got my driver's licence last year at age 37 :mrgreen:
    I had a sports watch in those days, some overpriced thing with minimal functionalities and terribly complicated to use. Looking back, I don't think it served much of a purpose back, but I've always loved gadgets!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Btw, before opening it, I guessed the thread would be about Richard Simmons. My mom loved Richard Simmons, and also was into jazzercise.

I've told this story before, but this was also the era of Jane Fonda workouts (and Olivia Newton-John's Let's Get Physical, with a video indicating that it was really all about exercising). A high school friend found her mom's Jane Fonda's Pregnancy Workout video (VHS, you know) and was absolutely horrified that her mom was pregnant at her age (which of course at that time seemed comically old), but her mom explained that she just figured it would be the easiest one to start with.

I had several Jane Fonda VHS workouts, and Kathy Smith, and Denise Austin. "Fat burning zone" lol.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    pondee629 wrote: »
    running before there where personal tracking devices and Map my Run.? You'd just run around your neighborhood, park, trail or wherever, based on perceived exertion, and "timed " yourself based on start time and end time on your wrist watch, getting the distance off of your cars odometer driving the "course" several times? Maybe you carried a stop watch? Everything was approximate, guessed at, or just not known.

I was a Girl Scout in the late 70s and feel like exploring the woods with GPS and a map on my phone is cheating...
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,807 Member
    I have fond memories of doing yoga with my mother in the early 70's with a gentle speaking woman on TV called Kareen Zebroff. In my late teens I was in the army reserves. Just know that you haven't lived till you've run in combat boots LOL And yes, Jane Fonda's Pregnancy and Recovery VHS tape was used daily when I was pregnant with my first child in 1984.

How'd I get so old? 😉