Weight No More - December 2020 Team Chat

Replies

• lenka1
    lenka1 Posts: 295 Member
    Cw: 146.7
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    Hello everyone!

I had my MRI on Wednesday and my Dr. Got back to me today with the results. I have moderate degenerative disc disease. She wants me to do PT ASAP and if that doesn't help, she is going to refer me to pain management for possible injections...This sucks! But now I have answers and know why my tail bone hurts where ever I sit and why my legs are so weak now and almost always sore! My weight loss hasn't been so good lately, and Sunday weigh in isn't going to be good cause I just started my period today! 😫 Which is awful cause it makes my body hurt so much more. When lying down, I have to constantly rotate because my knees and hips will get really sore and start to burn. I'm gonna have to make up some goals with small ones and big ones cause I meed 2021 to go better than 2020! I hope Covid is just a lot less in 2021 cause I need to get out and get some things done, but tons of things I can work on from home!

This is one of those good new/bad news things...good news = now you know. bad news = now you know. Other than PT, do they have any suggestions?

I saw the new ENT, which I mentioned the other day, and he put me back on stupid steroids (can't really complain as they are helping) and a very nasty antibiotic. I think it is helping, but kicking my kitten. Even with probiotics, my tummy isn't very happy. He didn't explicitly say it but I think he thinks my headaches are all migraines, just some are milder than others. The migraine diet isn't vegan...it cuts out most of my diet. Citrus, onions, fermented anything (miso, sauerkraut. yogurt, aged cheese, wine), a lot of fruit, processed meat, all nuts, dried fruit. Caffine (I've heard that one a million times, cut it out 3months, no impact...not convinced...but it also doesn't help the headaches, which some people it does). MSG..no problem, I avoid that...but wait, he adds a list of "additives" that apparently mean MSG. When did they start putting MSG in EVERYTHING?!? Sigh. I'll think about it. If I do this, my fridge is unsafe.

So, happier notes.
    NSV: Yesterday hubs wanted mac & cheese. Usually we make a box and split it, even though it is technically 3 servings. I ate one portion, he ate one and one went to the fridge. Cut 200 cals...ate small salad...with ceasar dressing (likely verboten now). My calorie intake has been generally in the green this week...but I haven't been expecting loss or even maintenance.

I haven't weighed since the beginning of the month...too much going on. Weight yesterday...210 (+4) Uugghh. Not good. This morning, weighed after we eliminated some things...(207). Okay. I'll take that. I won't end the year where I wanted, but not too far off.

Wheeze is receeding...might be out of the woods...thinking of doing some youtube LesMills BodyFlow/BodyBalance videos. They're good. No idea how I'll log them. Suggestions?

• melaniedscott
    Why is it so hard to lose a freakin pound :s !?

That’s all :)

Because?
  • CassieGetsFit2013
    CassieGetsFit2013 Posts: 570 Member
    This is one of those good new/bad news things...good news = now you know. bad news = now you know. Other than PT, do they have any suggestions?

I saw the new ENT, which I mentioned the other day, and he put me back on stupid steroids (can't really complain as they are helping) and a very nasty antibiotic. I think it is helping, but kicking my kitten. Even with probiotics, my tummy isn't very happy. He didn't explicitly say it but I think he thinks my headaches are all migraines, just some are milder than others. The migraine diet isn't vegan...it cuts out most of my diet. Citrus, onions, fermented anything (miso, sauerkraut. yogurt, aged cheese, wine), a lot of fruit, processed meat, all nuts, dried fruit. Caffine (I've heard that one a million times, cut it out 3months, no impact...not convinced...but it also doesn't help the headaches, which some people it does). MSG..no problem, I avoid that...but wait, he adds a list of "additives" that apparently mean MSG. When did they start putting MSG in EVERYTHING?!? Sigh. I'll think about it. If I do this, my fridge is unsafe.

Right! I hate that I know, then I'm glad I finally do! All my Dr. Has said so far is doing PT and then referring me to pain management for possible injections. She also has me on a pill called, Meloxicam and Voltaren gel, neither do really anything for me, but I think she isn't gonna want to give me any strong pain meds cause of my history with pills. I'm already on 9 other medications, but 4 are Psych. Meds. Before my MRI she had talked about steroid injections in my knees, but now we know what it is, so if I did get those, don't think they would just be in my knees, I'm not sure...I am a Vegetarian and have been for probably 15 years now and also haven't had soda for about the same amount of years. 🙃 I need to work on having LESS sweets! I've actually been having headaches more often recently, but idk, it might be due to the cold. What exactly is MSG and how is it bad for you? I can just Google it, I guess, lol.

• kandi3570
    kandi3570 Posts: 238 Member
    Ohhh I ate carbs today. And I’m starving, lol. I didn’t have time to get lunch and they brought in pizza. So I had 800 calories of pizza and I was hungrier after I ate it then I was before. But I’ve done decent with calories and I’m going to bed hungry.
  • kandi3570
    Kandi3570
    Weigh in day Saturday
    PW 190.0
    CW 186.0
    Loss 4 lbs
    Total loss 82.6
    Not sure I trust it since I’ve lost 2.8 lbs in 2 days. But I’ll take it!

Steps this week
    Sat 7646
    Sun 3905
    M 12302
    T 16476
    W 12003
    T 12871
    F 13364
  • kos33
    kos33 Posts: 31 Member
    Kos33
    PW 165.5
    CW 164.2 lbs
    Christmas holidays- hooray!
  • melaniedscott
    edited December 2020
    ...All my Dr. Has said so far is doing PT and then referring me to pain management for possible injections. She also has me on a pill called, Meloxicam and Voltaren gel, neither do really anything for me, but I think she isn't gonna want to give me any strong pain meds cause of my history with pills...

...I am a Vegetarian and have been for probably 15 years now and also haven't had soda for about the same amount of years. 🙃 I need to work on having LESS sweets! I've actually been having headaches more often recently, but idk, it might be due to the cold. What exactly is MSG and how is it bad for you? I can just Google it, I guess, lol.

Meloxicam is an anti-inflammatory. It doesn't do much for me either. Indomethicin or Cataflam always seem more effective to me. Cataflam is harder on the stomach, though.

I try to avoid meds, too, when possible. Had issues with OTC painkiller abuse as a teen (is it abuse if you don't know it's bad for you?) due to untreated migraines. I can relate.

MSG is monosodium glutemate. It is a food additive that "enhances" flavor (our food tastes like kitten, so we have to add vile kitten to it to make it taste good). It's claim to fame is ostensibly Chinese food (tons found there, you can request they not put it in some things but stuff like BBQ chicken skewers or egg rolls will always have some). It has also been commonly used on salad bars. But it shows up in all sorts of things, under more than a dozen different names; Doritos, any flavored chips, microwave popcorn, sausage, bacon, and lunchmeats (no worries for you there), canned soups, frozen dinners, etc are all examples. It is literally everywhere. Little headache timebombs waiting to attack.

I can't explain the science, even though I read a really terriffic explanation yesterday, but there is a long debate raging about whether it is a problem or not (Better tasting food through SCIENCE! vs. This kitten make my head and bowels EXPLODE! That can't be good).

I'd probably be vegetarian if I wasn't married to a picky carnivore. I always prefer veggies to meat. When people talk about high protien/low carb, it makes my stomach hurt...I know when I've eaten high (animal) protien because I feel horrible for days and nothing works right. High non-animal protien is pretty hard to do. @kandi3570, I'm looking at you! I'll take your carbs! My answer to 'how many carbs do you eat?' is...all of them. 😁
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    12/18 steps 10219

Maintenance weight 134.2
  • kandi3570
    @melaniedscott you can have them all. Carbs make me hungry and they don’t satisfy me. Insulin resistance. I’m not a big meat eater either. I do eat it, but not tons. I love my veggies. I make a lot of stir fry’s with both beans and meat. Black beans are have a decent amount of protein and fiber. Lentils are really good for you. I just can’t get past the chalky texture. I’ve tried. Oh and I eat a lot of cottage cheese. Just ideas if you want to up your non meat protein.
    I’m not against carbs for anyone else. Keto in my opinion is an extreme. I have diabetics in my family I’ve seen them in severe keto acidosis. I have no interest in that.
    But the carbs do make me hungry all day. And I try to avoid eating too many of them. Half of this weight loss battle is to make sure I don’t end up a diabetic. Even though my blood work is always good I can tell by how tired I am after I eat sugar or carbs that I need to watch myself.
  • Zumba_Luvah
    Zumba_Luvah Posts: 406 Member
    Zumba_luvah
    Week 2
    Pw- 150.8
    Cw- 156.6

I ate more than I should have but woah, almost a 6 pound gain? Never seen that before
  • sleepymom5
    sleepymom5 Posts: 2,446 Member
    Check in for Friday
    Food-Logged and on target
    Water-over 64 oz
    Exercise-30 min shoveling, PT and stretching

Busy finishing up Christmas stuff this weekend. Hope everyone has a nice weekend!

@bumpbreakcar Lol! I hear ya girl! Hope all is going well.
    @CassieGetsFit2013 Not what you wanted to hear but at least you know what is going on. PT will help you gain some strength. Good luck.
    @melaniedscott They don't leave you much to eat. I hope you can find balance with stuff you can eat and stuff you enjoy. More importantly I hope it works. I am glad that you are starting to feel a little better. I am not sure how to log unless you make your own exercise up or find an entry that seems to fit the closest.
    @kandi3570 Wow! Awesome loss! Great job going to bed instead of eating more. I have been eating more carbs than usual myself lately.
    @koss33 Nice loss and during the holiday season!
    @Zumba_Luvah I am sure most of that is just fluid from whatever you had eaten. Drink a lot of water and I am sure the scale will move down in a few days.
  • melaniedscott
    edited December 2020
    @kandi3570 I love beans of all types. Except fava. They are meh. Mmm lentils. Can I have yours? I had Indian Dal for dinner (will likely be breakkie, too) and so yum. I like them cooked with quinoa then tossed with chopped raw veg and vinegrette dressing, indian style (dal & kitcheree, which you will never find in a restaurant), ethiopian style (3 ways; misir watt, mushroom shiro & ingunday watt) and in turkey, veg, & wild rice stew/soup. Probably more ways...those are all comfort food for me, though. I get it though, my sis hated lentils.

I do love cottage cheese. But very high in salt. Yum with cherry or chopped tomatoes, pineapple, blueberries, peaches, pears...or on lettuce.

My bio dad is diabetic. My gran (his mom) was always worried about it (her mom was). And most of his dad's family is, so i try to watch the simple carbs. Def prefer whole grains.

@Zumba_Luvah Maybe it is water? From something you ate? I gain 3-4 pounds every time I eat Chinese. It goes away after a day or two. Or blame it on the barametric pressure! All that heavy pressure is weighing you down!
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Weigh in for goinape -

Last week: December 12 - 145.6
    Current weight: December 19 - 146

Gain of .4

So I’m up a bit. I had some stress eating going on yesterday which was annoying as I continued eating when I wasn’t hungry. 😕. Could have made better choices there.

Anyhow today I’m off for breakfast with my son and will pick up a few remaining purchases for Christmas. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

@melaniedscott your Indian food choices sound amazing !

Cheers !!
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 944 Member
    edited December 2020
    Pic for Today
    v2ki40zydb33.png

An artist in our neighbourhood painted this for a sign in front of her house. She made 18" x 12" posters to raise money for a food bank and I was the first customer. It's happily on my fridge now.

Update: Over $2,000 has been raised and there's a cool trivia fact about the wooden version of this art piece, which is huge and has lived out front of the artist's home for nine months. The jar 'containing' the virus was cut out and stolen for a while, only to be returned and put back in place.
    mo4bg05m3rcs.png

• 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 944 Member
    Zumba_luvah
    Week 2
    Pw- 150.8
    Cw- 156.6

I ate more than I should have but woah, almost a 6 pound gain? Never seen that before

That can't be real. Check the batteries on your scale if it's electronic and drink a lot of water today. At least now, you seem set to lose on Christmas week. That's a gift. ;)
  • kirsten11872
    kirsten11872 Posts: 519 Member
    kirsten11872
    Week:3
    Weigh-in day: Saturday
    Previous weight:163.1
    Current weight:165.8
    +2.7👎👎👎
This discussion has been closed.