Dad bod to not so dad bod!!

Replies

• Gymladmatt
    Gymladmatt Posts: 391 Member
    New diet starts today.
    Going for 10% over maintenance on training days and 10% under maintenance on non training days.
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout
    3 sets shoulder press
    3 sets rows
    3 sets squats
    Short workout before night shift
  • Gymladmatt
    First workout back at gym.
    Incline bench x3
    Row x3
    Squat x3
    Curl x3
    Felt great to be back in gym but definitely lost some strength. Will slowly build strength up these next few months
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout
    Shoulder press x3
    Lat pull down x3
    Squat x3
    Tricep ext x3
    More reps on all exercises 💪
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Keep at it!
  • Gymladmatt
    Yesterday workout
    Bench x3
    Row x3
    Squat x3
    Curl x2
  • Gymladmatt
    Today’s workout
    Shoulder press x3
    Row x3
    Squat x3
    Close grip bench x2
    Added reps on all exercises
  • Gymladmatt
    qio5su6h05wq.jpeg
    Recently purchased this book. It’s got some great information on training
  • maverick4x4
    maverick4x4 Posts: 80 Member
    KHMcG wrote: »
    Join the Midlife Crisis Fitness Group. Bunch of guys working on our Dad Bods.

Also interested
  • Gymladmatt
    Struggling. Just 2 workouts per week and my body especially my back is in pain. Had flu like symptoms after last workout and aching muscles.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    what intensity level are you using ie percentage of 1 rep max or rpe or actual weight on the bar?

what does your volume look like ie number of reps? x3 doesn’t tell much.

training to failure or leaving reps in the tank?

what does your diet look like? caloric deficit? sufficient protein and carbs?
  • maronesax1972
    maronesax1972 Posts: 272 Member
    Struggling. Just 2 workouts per week and my body especially my back is in pain. Had flu like symptoms after last workout and aching muscles.

You should really look at your nutrition plan hard. To get rid of a dad bod takes disciplined nutrition and cardio. The weights can tone you up, especially if you’re in a surplus. I’ve been in your shoes. My starting point was further south than yours.

Raising TDEE and getting the right macro’s was when the magic happened for me.

Weight lifting was the I big on the cake. It’s especially important as you add calories back and can reshape your physique with a layer of added muscle.

Feel free to PM me if you want to heart what worked for me in detail.

• daveredvette
    daveredvette Posts: 87 Member
    like to join please

• stevenjj71
    stevenjj71 Posts: 3 Member
    like to join please

I'd like in too! Sounds like me.
  • Gymladmatt

You should really look at your nutrition plan hard. To get rid of a dad bod takes disciplined nutrition and cardio. The weights can tone you up, especially if you’re in a surplus. I’ve been in your shoes. My starting point was further south than yours.

Weight lifting was the I big on the cake. It’s especially important as you add calories back and can reshape your physique with a layer of added muscle.

Thanks for the advice. Think it’s mostly due to working long shifts and night shifts with not much sleep that is affecting my recovery. I’ve had 4 days off lifting now feel better now. What was your lifting routine like? Whenever I up my training volume I get the same rundown symptoms. So frustrating 😩
  • maronesax1972
    maronesax1972 Posts: 272 Member

Thanks for the advice. Think it’s mostly due to working long shifts and night shifts with not much sleep that is affecting my recovery. I’ve had 4 days off lifting now feel better now. What was your lifting routine like? Whenever I up my training volume I get the same rundown symptoms. So frustrating 😩

I lift six days (Sun-Fri):

Day 1 (Legs/Abs)
    Day 2 (Chest/Triceps)
    Day 3 (Back/Biceps)
    Day 4 (Shoulders/Abs)
    Day 5 (Chest/Triceps)
    Day 6 (Back/Biceps)
    Day 7 (Rest)

I don’t work more than two body parts a day and since Sunday is only Legs, I’m getting two full days of all other body rest.

My workout length of time is about 1.5hrs. I do ensure I get 7 full hours of sleep daily. Therefore I make sure I’m in bed for at least 8 hours/day since my Fitbit tells me I’m usually awake for 45min/night.

Gotta get the rest and recovery time.

• doubleplay_643
    doubleplay_643 Posts: 152 Member
    I have never really lifted weights seriously before until about 1 month ago. I feel great and starting to look great. The pounds are coming off! I have a question. What is the benefits between more light reps compared to heavy and less reps?
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    edited December 2020
    I have never really lifted weights seriously before until about 1 month ago. I feel great and starting to look great. The pounds are coming off! I have a question. What is the benefits between more light reps compared to heavy and less reps?
    you should do both, and there are many options available.

here are a couple examples:

1) session - top set(s) of lower reps followed by back-off or drop sets of higher reps

2) weekly - one day of lower rep sets, one day of higher rep sets

3) block - several weeks of higher rep sets followed by several weeks of lower rep sets

here is an article you may find useful:

https://www.jtsstrength.com/periodization-powerlifting-definitive-guide/
  • doubleplay_643
    doubleplay_643 Posts: 152 Member
    wiigelec wrote: »
    you should do both, and there are many options available.

here are a couple examples:

1) session - top set(s) of lower reps followed by back-off or drop sets of higher reps

2) weekly - one day of lower rep sets, one day of higher rep sets

3) block - several weeks of higher rep sets followed by several weeks of lower rep sets

here is an article you may find useful:

https://www.jtsstrength.com/periodization-powerlifting-definitive-guide/

Thank you. I will read this.
  • Gymladmatt
    First workout since Xmas
    Bench x2
    Shoulder press x2
    Row x2
    Squat x2