Calling all runners...

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Just finished a super fun 10K :) It rained a bit last night so there were plenty of puddles on the trail to splash through! :D
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Had a super stressful day. And my run looked like it: I ran fast - and super short. But hey, fastest 1 mile this year, and second-fastest mile ever. Not that I do this very often. But sometimes I feel like updating and surpassing some previous stats. I'm kind of a number girl. Can't help it *shrugs*
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Just finished a super fun 10K :) It rained a bit last night so there were plenty of puddles on the trail to splash through! :D

I've admired your pictures before, and I'm astounded that you run barefoot, especially on pavement. I'll have to try it sometime.
  • Barefoot sounds fun but I fear my feet would die.
  • yirara
    Yeah, mine as well. I have very poor connective tissue, and not wearing shoes increases the risk of going through my ankles. And apparently means my skin underneath the feet is super thin and builds up odd calluses, which will only injure the skin next to it. It's not for me.
  • yirara
    Looks cool! Here it was rain all day, and I ran briefly twice: through sunrise and sunset for a stupid virtual badge :p:#
  • Mountainlove
    Mountainlove Posts: 23 Member
    I started running outside again this year. Oddly it was a new year’s goal - before we even got a whiff of how odd this year would be.

I started running over 25 years ago - it got me through college and grad school. Then, when I had kids, I was a treadmill junky. I’d forgotten how much better I like, and how more calming, running outside was. While the treadmill was a necessity, it was also boring.

So, this year, I’ve lost 20 lbs by going to back to running outside. I’m in the slow runner club. Can’t for the life of me figure out how get faster.

Stick with it! You’ll love it!
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    I started enjoying running in high school gym class. We were supposed to run around the park and the teacher timed us. The fit girls all did it in under 3 mins, and my time was 7, then lower and lower each time we did it! (We only did it 3 times, but still!)

Since there, I've been an on and off runner. I joined a running program beginning in January, but I anticipate I will not be able to get out there and run in -5 and below weather (I hate the cold, ice, and have poor circulation as it is). I bought a stepper machine instead, but plan on starting my run training sometime between now and April. :smiley:
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Hi, I'm recovering from a foot injury sustained while trail running this fall, so I'm mostly cycling and swimming at the moment. Will start to ramp up training slowly in January. After a two year break(2019 injury, 2020 pandemic) I'm signed up for IM Chattanooga, which means I'll probably have to run this year, lol.
  • LoveyChar
    @LeanButNotMean44 Very impressive running, I'd like to run 50 miles one day!
  • LoveyChar
    My next race is Texas Trail Running Festival Marathon in June. There's no snow here. I should hit some trails.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    We had snow last week so I ran either in neighborhoods that had been plowed or in the one county park that clears its paved paths. Today is pouring rain which will melt off most of the snow but means I get to do my run on the TM. Tomorrow will be below freezing so ice will be an issue so it will probably be a rest day. Saturday, I get to figure out whether the roads are too icy to run on or not. Where I live is hilly, so ice builds up in the shady parts and cars lose control regularly. I don't mind cold, but I don't handle ice at all well.
  • yirara
    Rain and wind. That's climate change here. Meh! I did nothing today. Trying to heal something I did to the muscles around a hip bone anyway.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    fitpal4242 wrote: »
    How is everyone else dealing with the weather changes?

It's been a ridiculously mild winter here (Chicago) so far, so I don't know yet. Generally, I can run when it's really cold just by dressing warmly enough, but the problem is snow -- specifically, snow that turns into ice on portions of sidewalks, while other parts are pavement, so something like YakTraks aren't appropriate. We haven't had that this year yet. Usually my answer is that it's a treadmill day, but I am not going to the gym currently, so am not sure what I will do.