Weight No More - December 2020 Team Chat

Replies

• GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,978 Member
    Username GingerPwr
    PW 140
    CW 139
  • Weigh in for Sunday, week whatever it is?
    PW: 244.4 (110.9 kg)
    CW: 244.4 (110.9kg)

No change there, which I will take. My kitchen has at points looked like yours @kandi3570 with cookies everywhere! We have more to make before Christmas day, we always drop some in to the neighbours, and I promised my mother I would bring some to her place since we are driving down there (1.75 hours) to spend xmas day with her and her partner. I am also making her a birthday cake and taking that with us since her birthday is in early January and I won't see her then - at least she won't be expecting it! I've never made her a birthday cake since I got into cake decorating as a hobby 17 years ago, it must be about time.

I'm mostly done Christmas shopping, with all the shipment delays from covid, many of the shops here are looking very bare! I ordered most of what I wanted online a month or so back, but was really shocked at how empty shelves were yesterday. We're lucky that we have the freedom to move around, and no active cases in the community, but it is still having an impact. Supply chains are wacky.

I'm on 3 weeks of leave from work now, which is nice. Still assuming that I have myofascial pain syndrome and treating that through myofascial release, massage, yoga, stretching, heat, and noticing a huge difference. I haven't had a migraine in weeks, and I even drank some wine last night. Now that pain is much more under control, I'm going to test some of the 'trigger' foods and see if I can tolerate them. Wine seems okay now, and I hadn't touched alcohol in 3 years because of how bad the migraine used to be afterwards. Go figure!

@minstrelofsarcasm you asked if my twins are still close. It would be nice to say yes, but mostly they just tolerate each other. They're like chalk and cheese personality-wise. They do have the occasional moment where they like each other though.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,305 Member
    @kandi3570 Yes! and I don't bake cookies. Or do dinners. I only just finished 'shopping' yesterday. For a lot of friends/family we make personalized calendars. This year I photoshopped our bears (teddy, not real, live bears, I promise) attacking Wisconsin Lighthouses. It was fun...but a lot of work. Usually I'm done by the end of October.

So, the (hopefully short) story of my obsession with very exotic (to many) cuisine starts in Minneapolis in 1994. One of my cousins lived there and introdued several family who visited (not me) to a restaurant called The Blue Nile. About a year or so later, she was killed in a car accident. I had been dating a guy who was not a nice person. Her brother decided in her honor to encourage me to exit my relationship, which was rapidly getting worse. As part of this crusade, he decided to introduce me to other cultures...and invited me to The Blue Nile in Kansas City, MO. Also, introduced me to good Greek/Mediterranian food. Said guy and I did split up (yay!) and over the next 9 months or so, I started trying new stuff on my own, like dating a guy from India (who recommended my favorite Indian restaurant) and a guy from Ethiopia (met at the Nile) and trying Thai food. By the time I met my (now) husband, I was actively pursuing cooking these dishes because I was a college student and couldn't afford to go to the wonderful restaurants all the timr (or to drive to the city all the time). And I created dating rules in there...any man who couldn't take the amazing food I love couldn't be happy with me. Since then I've added Vietnamese and Korean Then I met the Lee, and he passed all the tests and does a dance when I make Ethiopian and Indian and Thai. He isn't a fan of Korean...but I guess I can forgive that.

That's awesome. My reason for learning different cuisines is less resonant but it's for my international students. I learn their family foods so they don't feel homesick. I've learned Colombian, Mexican (not TexMex), and Vietnamese. My favourite day was when Wendy said I nailed one Vietnamese recipe. I asked if it was like how her mother made it and she said no, it was like at a restaurant. Wow!
    @kandi3570 Yes! and I don't bake cookies. Or do dinners. I only just finished 'shopping' yesterday. For a lot of friends/family we make personalized calendars. This year I photoshopped our bears (teddy, not real, live bears, I promise) attacking Wisconsin Lighthouses. It was fun...but a lot of work. Usually I'm done by the end of October.

So, the (hopefully short) story of my obsession with very exotic (to many) cuisine starts in Minneapolis in 1994. One of my cousins lived there and introdued several family who visited (not me) to a restaurant called The Blue Nile. About a year or so later, she was killed in a car accident. I had been dating a guy who was not a nice person. Her brother decided in her honor to encourage me to exit my relationship, which was rapidly getting worse. As part of this crusade, he decided to introduce me to other cultures...and invited me to The Blue Nile in Kansas City, MO. Also, introduced me to good Greek/Mediterranian food. Said guy and I did split up (yay!) and over the next 9 months or so, I started trying new stuff on my own, like dating a guy from India (who recommended my favorite Indian restaurant) and a guy from Ethiopia (met at the Nile) and trying Thai food. By the time I met my (now) husband, I was actively pursuing cooking these dishes because I was a college student and couldn't afford to go to the wonderful restaurants all the timr (or to drive to the city all the time). And I created dating rules in there...any man who couldn't take the amazing food I love couldn't be happy with me. Since then I've added Vietnamese and Korean Then I met the Lee, and he passed all the tests and does a dance when I make Ethiopian and Indian and Thai. He isn't a fan of Korean...but I guess I can forgive that.

That's awesome. My reason for learning different cuisines is less resonant but it's for my international students. I learn their family foods so they don't feel homesick. I've learned Colombian, Mexican (not TexMex), and Vietnamese. My favourite day was when Wendy said I nailed one Vietnamese recipe. I asked if it was like how her mother made it and she said no, it was like at a restaurant. Wow!

That is funny--that's why I do vegetarian, gluten free, and vegan baking/cooking sometimes--inclusion, especially at work. I have vegetarian coworkers and food events are hard for them to participate in (not that we're having them right now). And dietary restrictions are tough...dairy, gluten, nuts...it's landmines everywhere.

Chili Cookoff? Yup, mine is vegetarian...'Oh, you're vegetarian?' me: 'Nope, I just play one on TV.'

Pulled pork slider event? Me...hmmm are we doing anything for folks who don't eat pork or meat generally? What! Some people don't eat pork? or meat?!? Three years ago we did a tofu slider as well and the last two years, jackfruit, which is so yum.

Brownie competition: What about dairy free people? Me...brownies do not require dairy. Really. Or eggs, for that matter.

One of my coworker's daughter is vegan, so she's willing to try vegan cooking as well, to support her daughter. That helps.
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    PW: 200.9
    CW: 200.6
    LTD: 11.4

I’m not sure how I managed a loss. I was off plan most of the week. I was sure I’d have a gain. Whoo! We’ll see how this week goes. I definitely won’t be under my calories on Christmas Day, but won’t go crazy.
  • brown6267
    brown6267 Posts: 476 Member
    12/21 steps 2435
  • sleepymom5
    sleepymom5 Posts: 2,456 Member
    Check in for Sunday
    Food-logged and under
    Water- 80 oz
    Exercise-30 min walking video, PT and stretching.

Good day. I stayed away from that candy. My niece dropped of cookies she made. I even managed to stay away from that too. This is going to be a tough week but I am determined to end December and 2020 with a loss.
    @minstrelofsarcasm I am happy to see you are back to spinning. I hope you are feeling better. I also would like to move my weigh in day to Thursday this week. Thanks
    @Freeglerock I am sure your busy with the kiddos and Christmas. Enjoy!
    @hope002 I hope all is going well
    @kandi3570 I love those cookies! Lol! I can't believe Christmas is almost here!
    @melaniedscott Loved the story about how you started to eat exotic foods. I also love how your husband enjoys that too. I am even more impressed you cook the different cuisines! Plus cooking for all the different types of diets that are out there! You must be a pretty amazing cook/baker.
    @bumpbreakcar Sounds like you have a good plan heading forward. You got this!
    @1theresamcvean I think that it is great that you learn to cook the different cuisines for your international students. You must be quite a good cook, what a compliment that it tastes like it would in a restaurant!
    @GingerPwr Nice loss!
    @xX_PhoenixRising_Xx I am so happy to hear that you are getting some relief from the treatments for the myofascial pain syndrome. I hope that continues. I am sure that you Mother is going to be so happy about getting a birthday cake from you. You know I am going to ask for a picture right? Enjoy your time off from work.
    @KristieJC Nice loss this week! You can keep it going during Christmas, just make a plan. I plan to enjoy Christmas Eve and Christmas with the one restriction that I am not going to over eat and I am not going to eat when I am not hungry. I guess that is two restrictions but they are kinda the same thing. I also am going to stay on track up to Christmas eve and jump right back on the day after Christmas.

• jedaschultz
    jedaschultz Posts: 980 Member
    Username: jedaschultz
    Weigh In Day: Monday
    Week: 4
    PW (Previous Weight): 206.8
    CW (Current Weight): 206.8
  • @sleepymom5 of course I will post a photo. I spent a few hours today practicing making gumpaste flowers, I have never been that good at them but decided now is the time to get better!

@minstrelofsarcasm I am so happy you are feeling a bit better. I would volunteer to be co-captain but I've learned my lesson on over-committing myself. I just don't have time and I would be horribly bad at it. Also, you cracked me up with your list above!

Anyway, today hubby and I got the kids some new summer PJs and decided that I needed some too. The sizes were either S/M or L/XL and of course I went straight for the L/XL. Until hubby said no, and made me buy the smaller size. So this message is coming to you from me, at midnight, wearing a size S/M PJ set of which both the top and shorts do fit me, and it may be the wine talking but WTF? I've always fitted into way smaller clothes than my weight would suggest, but it's been quite some time since anything this small fit.

And with that, I am off to bed. Good night and good day my lovely losers! 😘

• brown6267
    12/21 steps 10465
  • bumpbreakcar
    bumpbreakcar Posts: 191 Member
    12/21:
    Water goal: ✅
    Fitness goal: ❌

Hit my goal of 75oz but fitness goal not much but it’s a new day 😊
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    I am hitting my protein goal (15%) or at least coming close this last week. Could be why I've see a drop on the scale! I am trying to pay attention to that more.
  • sleepymom5
    Check in for Monday
    Food food was good but drinking was bad...
    Water-56 oz
    Exercise-30 min walking video, PT, stretching and strength

I had the most productive day yesterday, it was great. I exercised early, did what I needed to do around the house and then went out and ran errands. Everything was going great and I was checking off my "to do list" and then it all came to a screeching halt. I had a huge grocery order and my credit card stopped working. It wasn't declined, it just stopped working so I called the credit card company (with a huge grocery order packed up in my cart )and there was nothing they could do but send me a new card. The chip and the swiping strip were defective. I didn't have enough cash and I didn't have my other card with me so I had to go to the service desk and I called my husband who said he would be right over. We both forgot, I had his car, Mary Kate had my car and Shannon was at work. He had to uber over. It was such an ordeal. By the time we got home and put everything away, I wasn't in the mood to cook or to reach for any healthy options I had prepped. We ordered out and I didn't make the healthiest option but I did honor my hunger and stopped when I was satisfied. However, I did drink a few drinks that I didn't plan on so my carbs and calories for yesterday went over. I didn't even track. Oh well...new day. It is not going to accomplish anything by beating myself up over my poor choices yesterday.

I am already off to a late start today so it will not be as productive as yesterday but I am good. I don't have too much that has to be done, just exercise and some gift wrapping. Have a great day everyone!

@minstrelofsarcasm Your post was timely for me! One night of drinking and a half a calzone isn't going to take away all of my progress. I am glad you are starting to feel better. Also, I can't get myself to get up when they are out of the seat on the bike. I feel like I am going to break the bike. I guess that will come as I get stronger. I also can't move my legs as fast as they are, I am peddling my heart out and am not even close! Lol! I plan to be more consistent in January on that bike.
    @xX_PhoenixRising_Xx Being a size down in clothing is a huge NSV! What a great feeling. :smile:
    @jedaschultz Great job maintaining! Hope you are doing well.
    @bumpbreakcar Your right, new day! Let's do this!
    @pacsnc6 I am interested to find out if it is from the protein. I think weight loss is much more complicated than calories in and calories burned.
  • goingape
    goingape Posts: 429 Member
    Hi all, I made homemade sink scrub last night and will be dropping off mini mason jars full of that to several close friends. I also got some wine and goodies for my Aunty who is in town. I will be doing a ring and run drop off since no one is in my bubble anymore. I haven’t seen these folks for months !

In other news I managed to get my baking started. I did three ingredient bagels, and banana muffins which are usual bakes. But I did get a batch of Christmas sugar cookies prepped. I’m using a new recipe from pioneer woman with orange zest. Smells lovely. The dough is chilling so I can bake later today.

@sleepymom5. What a terrible day! At least you stuck on and got your groceries. I think I would have flung up my hands and walked.

@pacsnc6 good job on the protein !!

@xX_PhoenixRising_Xx congrats in the sizing down in pj’s. So nice to have clothes fit well!
  • kiane50
    kiane50 Posts: 69 Member
    Happy Wednesday, Everyone!

As we reach the end of the year, it’s a great time for reflection on where we came from and what we’ve been through.

Personally, this year has been a wild ride for me, but one of the things I was most grateful for was the invitation to join this team from Theresa, @1theresamcvean , in June. Little did I know back then that I would eventually become a co-captain with her when Lisa, @cafelelia , stepped down just a month later. I was not expecting to find such a supportive community, and I most definitely was not expecting to enjoy being a part of it – my health journey has so often been a solo adventure. Today, I hope to never go it alone ever again.

And now, we reach the next stage of Team Weight No More, as Theresa decides to become one of many great previous captains and steps back into being a team member. Theresa has been such an incredibly positive presence in the group, and I someday hope to be able to connect with all of you as well as she has.

Which leads me to an open invitation to all of you:

HELP WANTED: Co-Captain of Team Weight No More

Start Date: Transition scheduled for the end of December into the beginning of January

Responsibilities:
    • Enter weights for your team into the spreadsheet by early Sunday morning (Eastern)
    • Be active in team discussions
    • Answer questions and help new members
    • Encourage challengers to participate in challenges and in group discussions
    • Create and post daily / weekly challenges and/or topics to promote team involvement and help keep the team engaged
    • Remind challengers when they are due to weigh in - tag or message them if necessary – pester those who are late
    • Encourage participation in the full group challenges
    • Work with your co-captain and motivator(s) to keep the team going strong
    • Refer any changes needed in the spreadsheets, problems with members, or other issues to the Moderators
    • Participate in the Captains Lounge chat thread, and look there for announcements

Benefits:
    • New level of accountability
    Really cool co-captain (ahem)
    • Dental plan*
    • Undying adulation from the team members

*not valid in all countries, see underside for details, terms and conditions may apply

This role really hasn’t taken up too much of my time – I think the most I’ve ever worked on anything for the group is this message, and that’s just because I took a break between writing the first and second paragraphs to get lost in my MFP inbox to get the dates right. And for whomever steps into the role, know that you are not alone in completing all captain responsibilities. Theresa and I have a relaxed breakdown of tasks, and I am not planning to become a stickler now that she is stepping down.

I know that taking on responsibilities during a pandemic may be scary, but I can honestly say that the additional structure has been nothing but beneficial for me.

If you would like to state your interest or have questions, please direct them to me and/or Theresa. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

So... yeah. That's all.
    ~ Ashley

As we reach the end of the year, it’s a great time for reflection on where we came from and what we’ve been through.

Personally, this year has been a wild ride for me, but one of the things I was most grateful for was the invitation to join this team from Theresa, @1theresamcvean , in June. Little did I know back then that I would eventually become a co-captain with her when Lisa, @cafelelia , stepped down just a month later. I was not expecting to find such a supportive community, and I most definitely was not expecting to enjoy being a part of it – my health journey has so often been a solo adventure. Today, I hope to never go it alone ever again.

And now, we reach the next stage of Team Weight No More, as Theresa decides to become one of many great previous captains and steps back into being a team member. Theresa has been such an incredibly positive presence in the group, and I someday hope to be able to connect with all of you as well as she has.

Start Date: Transition scheduled for the end of December into the beginning of January

Responsibilities:
    • Enter weights for your team into the spreadsheet by early Sunday morning (Eastern)
    • Create and post daily / weekly challenges and/or topics to promote team involvement and help keep the team engaged
    • Remind challengers when they are due to weigh in - tag or message them if necessary – pester those who are late
    • Refer any changes needed in the spreadsheets, problems with members, or other issues to the Moderators
    • Participate in the Captains Lounge chat thread, and look there for announcements

Benefits:
    • Dental plan*

*not valid in all countries, see underside for details, terms and conditions may apply

This role really hasn’t taken up too much of my time – I think the most I’ve ever worked on anything for the group is this message, and that’s just because I took a break between writing the first and second paragraphs to get lost in my MFP inbox to get the dates right. And for whomever steps into the role, know that you are not alone in completing all captain responsibilities. Theresa and I have a relaxed breakdown of tasks, and I am not planning to become a stickler now that she is stepping down.

I know that taking on responsibilities during a pandemic may be scary, but I can honestly say that the additional structure has been nothing but beneficial for me.

If you would like to state your interest or have questions, please direct them to me and/or Theresa. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

So... yeah. That's all.
    ~ Ashley

Responsibilities:

Benefits:
    • Dental plan*

So... yeah. That's all.
    ~ Ashley

• brown6267
    12/22 steps 3164
  • sleepymom5
    Check in for Tuesday
    Food-logged and on target
    Water-80oz
    Exercise-30 min walking tape, PT and stretching.

Busy morning so I have to get going. Don't worry-I have enough cash Lol! Have a great day!

@goingape That is a good idea to do a ring and run to drop stuff off. I have a bunch of stuff for Jim's family and was trying to figure out what to do. I think I will do the same. Enjoy the baking!
    @kiane50 We will miss you. Good luck!
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,204 Member
    sleepymom5 wrote: »
    @minstrelofsarcasm Your post was timely for me! One night of drinking and a half a calzone isn't going to take away all of my progress. I am glad you are starting to feel better. Also, I can't get myself to get up when they are out of the seat on the bike. I feel like I am going to break the bike. I guess that will come as I get stronger. I also can't move my legs as fast as they are, I am peddling my heart out and am not even close! Lol! I plan to be more consistent in January on that bike.

It took me a while to finally do well on the bike - it's a slow, but worth it, process. Just keep trying, even if only for a few seconds. One of the instructors at my spin studio told me to take every challenge eight counts at a time. You got this!
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    tryingagain5
    Week 4
    PW: 204.0
    CW: 208.8
    Gain: 4.8
    My own fault. I'm eating everything and anything in sight, including lots of sweets and too much takeout lately. My head is definitely not where it needs to be right now.🙁 Probably partly from the hip/back and knee issues, although the knee seems to be pretty good right now. Hip/back is getting there but not where it needs to be. There is progress but slower than I would like. I do have the next 11 days off work so I'm happy about that. I only had to take 4 days of vacation so that is pretty nice. The rest of the time is weekends and holiday time.

I do plan to spend part of my time off to do some meal prep. Hopefully that will help with my mindless eating.😉
This discussion has been closed.