Getting fit at 50 and beyond...200+ pound club

Replies

• cpnknight
    cpnknight Posts: 200 Member
    jm216 wrote: »
    Good morning!

The scale was very friendly this morning. I weighed myself 4 times in a row and averaged 207.8 pounds! I haven’t been under 208 in a long time.

Jill☕️

Well done Jill, next stop the 100 numbers...

It is the day before Scales Day and I am again feeling apprehensive about what the reading will be.
    I don't think I have been too naughty but I always seam to fear the worst.
    I think the feelings today are a little more intense due to not wanting to see those bloomin 300 numbers again.
  • jm216
    jm216 Posts: 3,720 Member
    cpnknight wrote: »
    jm216 wrote: »
    Good morning!

The scale was very friendly this morning. I weighed myself 4 times in a row and averaged 207.8 pounds! I haven’t been under 208 in a long time.

Jill☕️

Well done Jill, next stop the 100 numbers...

It is the day before Scales Day and I am again feeling apprehensive about what the reading will be.
    I don't think I have been too naughty but I always seam to fear the worst.
    I think the feelings today are a little more intense due to not wanting to see those bloomin 300 numbers again.

We’re rooting for you, Tone! 📣
    You’ve got one more day to keep things in balance. 😁
  • Scotiagirl563
    Scotiagirl563 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi all I am new to this and hoping that joining a group will help me with accountability. I just turned 51 and every year that old scale goes higher and higher ☹. I joined Fitness Pal about 5 years ago and opened the app about the same number of times. I have between 45-55 pounds to lose and some meds to decrease and the battle starts the 28th when the leftovers should be gone. I am kind of lost on where to start. How often do people weigh? I'm limited on exercise due to mechanical fixations in my spine but plan to start walking as much as possible with the cold and snow. Anyways any tips would be appreciated. Happy Holidays to everyone <3
  • The_Elephant_Man
    The_Elephant_Man Posts: 202 Member
    @Scotiagirl563 I weigh once a week, every Wednesday. I have lost 53lbs so far and need to lose another 30lb. Just log everything you put in your mouth and stay below your calorie goal each day and you will lose weight. You can do this!
  • cpnknight
    edited December 2020
    I am kind of lost on where to start. How often do people weigh?

Losing weight is easy to understand.
    It doesn't matter about what you eat, how much you exercise. Fasting doesn't matter or any kind of "diet plan". Weight loss pills, powders and tea will just lose you money...

All that really matters is burning more calories than you consume!

As for weighing. Some weigh every day others once a month but I think most of us probably weigh in once a week. Exercise, I believe, is less to do with losing weight and more to do with maintaining your strength/muscle.

When you start, take photos of yourself, take measurements of waist, bust, neck, thigh etc, and of course weigh yourself (Try not to get too fixated on the scales number, it is only a guide), I also mark down my BMI.

Weigh in each Sunday at the same time, wearing the same clothes (if any) and with the scales in the same place. Make this consistent.
    Every first Sunday of the month update the measurements and take more photos (preferably in the same pose and same type of clothing).

I also keep a graph of my progress at home but MFP have this in the "reports" section.

You have your end goal but this is a long way off so make smaller monthly goals (never try to lose more than 2lb a week, it is not really sustainable)

Most importantly, remember;
    It took years to put the weight on, it will NOT disappear in a couple of weeks!
    Like everyone, you will stumble. You will have times when the scale doesn't budge. But, if you stick with it, you WILL succeed!
    The only people who fail are the ones that give up!
  • MrCalpurnius
    MrCalpurnius Posts: 1 Member
    Newcomer here. 55 and needing to lose 200 pounds to get to 200 pounds.
  • farmermariepier
    farmermariepier Posts: 10 Member
    A thread where I feel understood!!! I am 52 yo - 5'7- 172 pounds. I need to lose 30 pounds. The weight has been pilling up for the past 10 years and it is very hard to lose. Before, when I would gain weight, i would move a bit more and be careful with my eating and I would lose... Now, my body seem to refuse it OR, I realized today that I do not care about my appearance as much as I use to. It is almost like I have given up... So I tend to sabotage once I am doing well. I resent myself for this... In order to create something that will stick, I will do a Beacbody Autumn Calabrese Program and for my diet, I will change one thing each week, for example the first week starting tomorrow will be replacing diet soda with water - I drink so much diet pepsi !!!! And I hope that slowly I can feel better... maybe not as cute as in my thirties... but a cute 50+ woman
  • cpnknight
    07:10 Sunday morning can mean only one thing...

Scaly Beast time!

Wasn't looking forward to this, but then I rarely do.

Weight was 299 lbs....Now 297.8 lbs....A loss of 1.2 lbs.

Just a pinch more daylight between me and that dastardly 300 lbs mark but the scale is heading in the right direction.
    The next seven days may be a bit challenging though....
  • jm216
    07:10 Sunday morning can mean only one thing...

Scaly Beast time!

Wasn't looking forward to this, but then I rarely do.

Weight was 299 lbs....Now 297.8 lbs....A loss of 1.2 lbs.

Just a pinch more daylight between me and that dastardly 300 lbs mark but the scale is heading in the right direction.
    The next seven days may be a bit challenging though....

Congrats! You keep fighting the scaley beast and winning! Congratulations!!
    I am kind of lost on where to start. How often do people weigh?

Losing weight is easy to understand.
    It doesn't matter about what you eat, how much you exercise. Fasting doesn't matter or any kind of "diet plan". Weight loss pills, powders and tea will just lose you money...

All that really matters is burning more calories than you consume!

As for weighing. Some weigh every day others once a month but I think most of us probably weigh in once a week. Exercise, I believe, is less to do with losing weight and more to do with maintaining your strength/muscle.

When you start, take photos of yourself, take measurements of waist, bust, neck, thigh etc, and of course weigh yourself (Try not to get too fixated on the scales number, it is only a guide), I also mark down my BMI.

Weigh in each Sunday at the same time, wearing the same clothes (if any) and with the scales in the same place. Make this consistent.
    Every first Sunday of the month update the measurements and take more photos (preferably in the same pose and same type of clothing).

I also keep a graph of my progress at home but MFP have this in the "reports" section.

You have your end goal but this is a long way off so make smaller monthly goals (never try to lose more than 2lb a week, it is not really sustainable)

Most importantly, remember;
    It took years to put the weight on, it will NOT disappear in a couple of weeks!
    Like everyone, you will stumble. You will have times when the scale doesn't budge. But, if you stick with it, you WILL succeed!
    The only people who fail are the ones that give up!

This is the absolute truth!
  • jm216
    Hello friends new and old!

Glad you’re stopping by for support, encouragement and friendship. 🥰

Jill
  • jm216
    Starting weight: 228.9 on 6/1/2020
    Height: 5’8”
    Goal weight: 180
    6/1– 228.9
    6/4– 227.9
    6/9– 226.7
    6/14-225.3
    6/22-225.0
    6/28-224.2
    7/2—223.3
    7/6—223.2
    7/13–221.6
    7/20–218.4
    7/26–217.7
    8/9—218.1
    8/16–216.4
    8/24–216.7
    8/30–216.2
    9/6—212.5
    9/13-212.0
    9/20-213.2
    9/27-212.9
    10/4-211.4
    10/11-212.3
    10/18-210.7
    10/25-213.4
    11/1 - 214.0
    11/8 - 213.9
    11/15 -212.6
    11/22–212.3
    11/29–210.7
    12/6—212.2
    12/13-210.2
    12/20-210.1

One more weigh in week of 2020– down 18.8 pounds so far! Hope you’re enjoying the holiday season. ❤️
  • frankwbrown
    frankwbrown Posts: 12,041 Member
    I had a DXA scan this morning. It shows I've lost ~20 cubic inches in body volume and ~16 pounds of body fat since 9/30 (my first DXA scan). The only negative for me is that I lost some muscle mass in the process, so I'm going to make extra sure I get all the protein (and calories) I need. It's a balancing act: diet too severely and you'll lose muscle mass, don't diet enough and you won't lose weight. I've started some strength exercises that should help as well. How I wish I could swim laps... for me, that's the very best exercise.

This week I'll be satisfied if I can just maintain, and start losing again in January. January 10th will be my half-way point, and I'm planning to have lost half my 100 lbs by then.
    I started at 330 and I'm down to 282. You can do it too. It just takes perseverance and discipline. There are plenty of people here ready to give you encouragement and support, including myself. Send a friend request if you'd like.
  • daydrem_dw
    daydrem_dw Posts: 83 Member
    Late Sunday Funday checkin

Three Weeks Ago: 195.0
    Two Weeks: 192.8
    Last Week: 189.0
    Sunday; 189.8

A slight uptick but still below 190 and I’m not too discouraged.

Did a lousy job of journaling this past week. I’m back on track and aim to at least hold steady over the holidays. Lots of snow this past week gave me a couple of nice shoveling workouts and even walking around outside is more challenging.

Happy Holidays everyone!
  • jm216
    I had a DXA scan this morning. It shows I've lost ~20 cubic inches in body volume and ~16 pounds of body fat since 9/30 (my first DXA scan). The only negative for me is that I lost some muscle mass in the process, so I'm going to make extra sure I get all the protein (and calories) I need. It's a balancing act: diet too severely and you'll lose muscle mass, don't diet enough and you won't lose weight. I've started some strength exercises that should help as well. How I wish I could swim laps... for me, that's the very best exercise.

This week I'll be satisfied if I can just maintain, and start losing again in January. January 10th will be my half-way point, and I'm planning to have lost half my 100 lbs by then.
    I started at 330 and I'm down to 282. You can do it too. It just takes perseverance and discipline. There are plenty of people here ready to give you encouragement and support, including myself. Send a friend request if you'd like.

Way to go Frank!! Great progress!
  • jm216
    daydrem_dw wrote: »
    Late Sunday Funday checkin

Three Weeks Ago: 195.0
    Two Weeks: 192.8
    Last Week: 189.0
    Sunday; 189.8

A slight uptick but still below 190 and I’m not too discouraged.

Did a lousy job of journaling this past week. I’m back on track and aim to at least hold steady over the holidays. Lots of snow this past week gave me a couple of nice shoveling workouts and even walking around outside is more challenging.

Happy Holidays everyone!

You’re doing so well! I love being outside shoveling snow.. it is a great workout! My dog loves the snow, too.
  • cpnknight
    Wishing you all a very happy Yuletide and a thinner new year.
  • cpnknight
    I had an excellent Yuletide with an absolutely gorgeous roast. Pork and beef with roast potatoes, greens, carrots, pigs in blankets...
    I indulged with a few drinks, couple of ales and a couple of rums. Quite a few sweets.
    All in all a bit of a pig out really...
    Worked out the calories this morning to find things not as bad as I thought they would be.
    Bottom line was that I ate about 500 cals over my allotted total but I am working on a 1000 cal deficit so there should be no harm done.....(fingers crossed).
  • jm216
    I had an excellent Yuletide with an absolutely gorgeous roast. Pork and beef with roast potatoes, greens, carrots, pigs in blankets...
    I indulged with a few drinks, couple of ales and a couple of rums. Quite a few sweets.
    All in all a bit of a pig out really...
    Worked out the calories this morning to find things not as bad as I thought they would be.
    Bottom line was that I ate about 500 cals over my allotted total but I am working on a 1000 cal deficit so there should be no harm done.....(fingers crossed).

I had quite the sweet fest yesterday and didn’t log anything. I had a one day off the wagon and now I’m ready to get back on. Glad you had a great Yuletide!!
  • cpnknight
    I am somewhat disappointed with myself.
    Stepped upon the Scaly Beast this morning to discover a 5.8 lbs increase.
    I expect most of that to be water retention due to excessive carbs but I am still not happy with myself.
    But, all that yuletide nonsense is now over, new year is of no real consequence, so it is firmly back onto that bloomin wagon I fell off and recoup my losses!
    Now, pass me that bowl of lettuce...