New to the Group? Introduce yourself here.

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Photis2020 wrote: »
    Hello. New to MFP altogether and new to dealing with T2 diabetes in any serious way since I was diagnosed two years ago. Finally ready to give all this an honest try

Welcome! MFP is a great tool for dealing with diabetes - log everything, keep an eye on your carbs and calories, and if your blood glucose is too high, test often until you see for yourself how different amounts of carbs affect you.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Photis2020 wrote: »
    Hello. New to MFP altogether and new to dealing with T2 diabetes in any serious way since I was diagnosed two years ago. Finally ready to give all this an honest try

Welcome! MFP is a great tool for dealing with diabetes - log everything, keep an eye on your carbs and calories, and if your blood glucose is too high, test often until you see for yourself how different amounts of carbs affect you.

I could not have said this better.

• Gunr2147
    Gunr2147 Posts: 63 Member
    Hello and thank you for the group. I have been aware of my T2D for about 26 days now... much to learn. I look forward to learning from this group.
  • 2t9nty
    Gunr2147 wrote: »
    Hello and thank you for the group. I have been aware of my T2D for about 26 days now... much to learn. I look forward to learning from this group.

How are things going for you?
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Feeling like an idiot. I may have accidentally hit the "Disagree" button in this thread while scrolling. Sorry! 😖
  • 2t9nty
    You can always click it again to "unclick."
  • deepwaters80
    deepwaters80 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello! I developed gestational diabetes when I carried by daughter 12 years ago. It never cleared so I've been on metformin since then plus random other oral meds. Just over a year ago we added Victoza and then Novalog also. Looking forward to a community of other T2D.
  • sweeetypie1
    sweeetypie1 Posts: 122 Member
    Gunr2147 wrote: »

Welcome!
  • mypixiedesigns
    mypixiedesigns Posts: 26 Member
    I am back after an absence and technical issues as a bonus. My name is Laurel and I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in 2019. I had an A1C of 6.4 at the time. I had done really well managing my diabetes in 2019, losing 34 pounds, staying off meds, getting my A1C to 5.4 with just diet and exercise, but then, you know - 2020. I disappeared from MFP in late 2019 because of a glitch with my account and just laziness. I let 2020 pack on the pounds my exercise was sporadic at best - and my diet - well let's not talk about that. So, now I am back where I started in January 2019 - almost exactly the same weight, labs, etc. So I am starting again and trying to be better long term. I am going to be meeting with a certified sports dietician who also works with chronic disease so she can work with me on managing my diabetes in a way that fuels my workouts properly. I am hoping to have accountability by being in a community
  • 2t9nty
    Welcome back!

You can do it.
  • Goowakjai
    Goowakjai Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Everyone. Back in December 2016 I was officially diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. My A1C was at 10.9 and it didn’t get any better even with the combination of 1500 mg of metformin and 5mg Farxiga. 2020’s shelter in place has forced a lot more self-reflection on my day to day, especially physical and mental health. I’ve seen the impact of Covid-19 on individuals with metabolic syndrome and the only real defense right now is being generally healthy.

I've decided to redownload MyFitnessPal on August 2020. The past 5 months have been life-changing. I drop my A1C down to 5.6, lost 40 pounds and no longer on any medication.

1st Month - Keto
    2nd Month - Keto with 18/6 Intermittent Fasting
    3rd Month to End of 2020 - Keto with Omad (One Meal a Day)
    Current - Keto with 18/6 Intermittent Fasting. I switched back to 18/6 Intermittent Fasting because I just love food too much and I am only 4 pounds from my target weight of 155.
  • rheddmobile
    Goowakjai wrote: »
    Hi Everyone. Back in December 2016 I was officially diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. My A1C was at 10.9 and it didn’t get any better even with the combination of 1500 mg of metformin and 5mg Farxiga. 2020’s shelter in place has forced a lot more self-reflection on my day to day, especially physical and mental health. I’ve seen the impact of Covid-19 on individuals with metabolic syndrome and the only real defense right now is being generally healthy.

I've decided to redownload MyFitnessPal on August 2020. The past 5 months have been life-changing. I drop my A1C down to 5.6, lost 40 pounds and no longer on any medication.

1st Month - Keto
    2nd Month - Keto with 18/6 Intermittent Fasting
    3rd Month to End of 2020 - Keto with Omad (One Meal a Day)
    Current - Keto with 18/6 Intermittent Fasting. I switched back to 18/6 Intermittent Fasting because I just love food too much and I am only 4 pounds from my target weight of 155.

Hooray! Great job! That is really impressive.

One suggestion, if you don’t have digestive issues with it, you might want to ask if you can stay on the metformin. It has a bunch of helpful effects, to the point that rich people have been asking for it as a longevity drug, and it doesn’t cause lows.

Otherwise, carry on!
  • Jarhead87
    Jarhead87 Posts: 22 Member
    Hey all! I was just diagnosed 8 days ago with Type 2 Diabetes. I went from an A1C of 5.4 seven months ago to a reading of 12.6 8 days ago. I was prescribed Jardiance and Metformin and started taking the Jardiance first. Long story short, I ended up spending the last 5 days in the hospital with Diabetic Keto Acidosis due to the Jardiance and my low carb diet. I'm out of the hospital now and looking to get smart as to how to come off of the metformin and turn my health around.

I know I need to increase my activity and fluid intakes and have begun to work on that. I'm also working on establishing some semblence of a routine for my daily acitivities to include meals and exercise.

What is the recommended percentages for Carbs, Fat and Protein? I will be attending eating/cooking classes begining late next week but am curious as to what this community feels could/should work. I know I have to abandon the keto and intermittent fasting concepts due to meds but would still like to monitor my Macros as I try to get numbers under control and lose weight (weight and inactivity are probably my largest mitigating factors).

I'm 52 years old, fly a desk at home for a living, live in Central Ohio and currently weigh in at 283 lbs.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or assistance!!!
  • mypixiedesigns
    mypixiedesigns Posts: 26 Member
    @Goowakjai well done! Getting off the meds whenever possible is ideal because it seems as though the meds put us into a cycle of being more dependent on them. Several studies show that but it’s hard to actually get off - so again I say well done!
  • 2t9nty
    Jarhead87 wrote: »
    Hey all! I was just diagnosed 8 days ago with Type 2 Diabetes. I went from an A1C of 5.4 seven months ago to a reading of 12.6 8 days ago. I was prescribed Jardiance and Metformin and started taking the Jardiance first. Long story short, I ended up spending the last 5 days in the hospital with Diabetic Keto Acidosis due to the Jardiance and my low carb diet. I'm out of the hospital now and looking to get smart as to how to come off of the metformin and turn my health around.

I know I need to increase my activity and fluid intakes and have begun to work on that. I'm also working on establishing some semblence of a routine for my daily acitivities to include meals and exercise.

What is the recommended percentages for Carbs, Fat and Protein? I will be attending eating/cooking classes begining late next week but am curious as to what this community feels could/should work. I know I have to abandon the keto and intermittent fasting concepts due to meds but would still like to monitor my Macros as I try to get numbers under control and lose weight (weight and inactivity are probably my largest mitigating factors).

I'm 52 years old, fly a desk at home for a living, live in Central Ohio and currently weigh in at 283 lbs.

Thanks in advance for any opinions or assistance!!!

I think you ought to talk to your doctor about going low carb and stopping Jardiance. I am keto, so my macros are not going to help too much.

FWIW, I did not have any problems with metformin and low carbs. I finally got my A1C low enough that I went off the metformin and just manage my diabetes through diet now. My doctor is really pleased.

• G0ldengirl68
    G0ldengirl68 Posts: 43 Member
    I am doing very well so far with low-carb, and looking more at Keto. I did make Almond Flour Recipe from Keto video on youtube and at first, did not like it. But I kept trying it and now I'm hooked. This a.m. I spent looking at all there is out there for folks like me. I'm very excited because I never baked much, too afraid of sugar overtaking my life. It did anyway though, or at least lots of simple carbs including sugar. I didn't gain a lot of weight for whatever reason but I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on Jan. 20, 2021. I am 68 so late life onset I think they call it.

I feel it would be good for me to surround myself with as many people as possible that are working towards beating diabetes. I have just one forum, they are mostly UK if not all, so I get confused with their numbers/percentages they use but how wonderfully helpful they've been. I've had a MFP account for many years. Although this one is a new one and doesn't show when I originally joined I don't think.

I'm working at logging in my diary, but slacked because I figured it was fine the way I was going. Lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks. My goal is to drop 10 and I should be good with the weight-training I do. Body-weight only because lifting my weight set hurt my arthritic hands. I mainly do pushups for now, and walking for my lower body. I'm a 4 mile an hour walker on a good day ;)

Love to talk about a lot of things, but I'll just post this now to intro myself. I'm from Oregon, but live in the far northwest corner of California. I am single/divorced, and have a little dog. I wasn't looking for a dog, and loved my freedom, but she is the best thing in my life now. I have to get up and go, and have some real responsibility. Plus, she is amazingly perfect for me. She minds me, she never does any bad habits. I don't deserve such a sweetie but her and I are a very, good match. If I get to busy at my desk and computer, I feel this whisper of a touch, tiny paws on my leg reminding me she is here. I smile EVERY time I look at her, especially her antics.

Ok, enough outa me, Denise

PS I am getting away from the Metformin for 7 days to see how I do. It makes me sick, I'll just say that for now ;)
  • rheddmobile
    I am doing very well so far with low-carb, and looking more at Keto. I did make Almond Flour Recipe from Keto video on youtube and at first, did not like it. But I kept trying it and now I'm hooked. This a.m. I spent looking at all there is out there for folks like me. I'm very excited because I never baked much, too afraid of sugar overtaking my life. It did anyway though, or at least lots of simple carbs including sugar. I didn't gain a lot of weight for whatever reason but I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on Jan. 20, 2021. I am 68 so late life onset I think they call it.

I feel it would be good for me to surround myself with as many people as possible that are working towards beating diabetes. I have just one forum, they are mostly UK if not all, so I get confused with their numbers/percentages they use but how wonderfully helpful they've been. I've had a MFP account for many years. Although this one is a new one and doesn't show when I originally joined I don't think.

I'm working at logging in my diary, but slacked because I figured it was fine the way I was going. Lost 6 lbs in 2 weeks. My goal is to drop 10 and I should be good with the weight-training I do. Body-weight only because lifting my weight set hurt my arthritic hands. I mainly do pushups for now, and walking for my lower body. I'm a 4 mile an hour walker on a good day ;)

Love to talk about a lot of things, but I'll just post this now to intro myself. I'm from Oregon, but live in the far northwest corner of California. I am single/divorced, and have a little dog. I wasn't looking for a dog, and loved my freedom, but she is the best thing in my life now. I have to get up and go, and have some real responsibility. Plus, she is amazingly perfect for me. She minds me, she never does any bad habits. I don't deserve such a sweetie but her and I are a very, good match. If I get to busy at my desk and computer, I feel this whisper of a touch, tiny paws on my leg reminding me she is here. I smile EVERY time I look at her, especially her antics.

Ok, enough outa me, Denise

PS I am getting away from the Metformin for 7 days to see how I do. It makes me sick, I'll just say that for now ;)

If you can do bodyweight squats, that would be a big add on for your strength training, and shouldn’t hurt your hands at all! Squatting to a box or chair is a good way to learn form and make sure you are going deep enough without risking falling over backwards. If you’ve got one push motion (which you do, with the pushups) one pull motion (pull ups work but those hurt my hands and I don’t have arthritis so it may be tricky to find one that’s good) and one hinge motion such as squats, that covers most of the major muscle groups.

Have you tried using protein powder in baking? I don’t bake much but use protein powder for pancakes.
  • 2t9nty

Welcome! Keto was really transformative for me. It is not a way of eating everyone can maintain, but I find it very easy, and it allowed me to get my glucose under control and go off metformin. I may end up back on meds eventually, but I am convinced the rate at which I get there will be a lot slower.
  • G0ldengirl68
    G0ldengirl68 Posts: 43 Member
    I'm so sorry 2t9nty, I didn't see your reply. I don't get this forum at all. I couldn't delete my stupid answer, I am sorry and appreciate you responding. I think Keto is a good program. I'm looking into it more today. I do so want to go off the Metformin and only been off (after first 2 weeks of it) for 3 days now. I do wonder about how long we can go without the drug as I recently read that diet and exercise are only short-term. I know I can't believe everything I read but yes, I wonder whether to just get used to the headaches and cramps, or keep this up for another 3 days and see if I really feel better. I'm practically on Keto diet already. Scared of carbs. Probably my body is ridding itself of the sugar in my liver (read about that on Dr. Jason Fung site.
  • 2t9nty
    In my experience it took about 2 weeks for Metformin to start working really. I took it and went keto. My glucose dropped to the point where my doctor took me off it. I think this process took about a year to get the numbers in the basement. I was on a reduced Metformin dose for another 6 months and then he stopped it.

Here is the thing with the reading material out there. A lot of it is pretty suspect, and I have found that there is a lot of variation from person to person and how we respond to things. I would check your glucose to stay on top of the numbers. If the diet is working then more power to you. You might need the diet with an assist from the meds for a while.

I found that increasing sodium was critical for me to prevent the headaches and cramping. I tracked it, and 4000 mg was the magic number for me. I know a lot of people recommend 5000 mg, but I just increased mine until the symptoms went away and stopped there. After a couple of years, I tried decreasing it and ended up back at 4000. I tried this again in 2020 and found I could stop adding it to my Crystal Light. I still track it, but it is 2000 mg or so on average now, and I don't get headaches or cramping at all. It just took (me) a while to adjust.

As one of those things, I will sometimes get light headed or headachy especially in the morning or early afternoon. I have found that this is an indicator of some dehydration, and a tall glass of something will get me back to normal.