28.8 to 17% body fat

clarinets21
clarinets21 Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I’m 6 feet tall and at 227 pounds. I want to drop the 11.8% of the body fat. How long will that take me if I eat healthy and exercise regularly? I’m a male at 44 years old.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    To add a minor comment to sgt1372's excellent answer: There's a potential tradeoff between keeping/adding muscle and losing fat. The faster you lose fat, the harder it is to keep/build muscle mass, even with excellent nutrition and a good progressive program.

I'm not trying to be a downer, but I think there are some serious implications to consider: Someone who's morbidly obese may want to lose fat fast for health reasons, even at the risk of some muscle. Someone with excess pounds but not at a serious health risk, and with strength/muscularity goals, might want to lose fat slowly, but make more progress with lifting along the way. Another person at that not-extreme high weight with mostly appearance goals might go either way, in consideration of their current level of muscularity vs. fat.

FWIW, my experience doesn't translate well to you: I lost 50+ pounds at age 59-60 in just less than a year, and I don't believe I lost any large amount of mass along the way, but while I was active in challenging ways (including some lifting), I wasn't focused on muscle mass gain, more on retention. Also, probably more importantly, I'm female. 😉
  • This is a journey, not a destination. This is a lifestyle, not a diet.
    Having a long term goal is great. I recommend breaking that big goal into smaller goals along the way.
    Calories in vs calories out for weight loss. Target 1-2 pounds of weight loss per week.
    Resistance training for muscle gain.

Consider starting with:
    - make a small sustainable change eg., if you like to drink pop, then switch that out for water or sparkling water with lemon or lime in it.
    - Once you’ve adjusted to that change then make another small sustainable change eg., if you like to eat rice, switch that out for brown rice
    - Track what you eat
    - Monitor your macros
    - Monitor your metrics (weight and measurements)
    - Then adjust as needed
    - As you lose weight, your body is going to change, not only in appearance, but also in how it reacts to different foods.