Eating back calories

I have a quick question to anyone who might know. I’m in a 500 cal deficit and I burn about 150 cal everyday during my workouts, is it ok to eat back the calories? Or will it keep me from losing weight?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Your daily eating goal that was set by you for a 500 cal deficit is a goal only for a day you do no purposeful exercise. Exercise is not taken into account at all in determining your base calories. If you don't eat back the 150cals you burn your deficit goes up to 650.

Add that 150cals to your eating that day and your deficit remains at 500cals and if all your estimates (especially food logging accuracy) are reasonable you will lose weight at the rate you selected.

Think of it as you giving away $150 and then someone gives you $150 - no impact on your budget.
    MyFitnessPal is trying to reinforce that exercise is a life-long habit for health and fitness and not a short-term weight loss tool.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    The guys in the Tour of France look like their bikes weigh more than they do. They eat like locusts.