Weight No More - December 2020 Team Chat

Replies

• TeresaW1020
    TeresaW1020 Posts: 3,231 Member
    Week Five challenge is up! This challenge is to help you reflect on 2020 and how you plan to make 2021 even better!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10819070/new-year-new-you#latest

otqmgyof7yaq.jpeg
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    Hi WNM you have 2 newcomers heading your way ....Please welcome @pattee2010 and @rachelrjh :)
  • minstrelofsarcasm
    minstrelofsarcasm Posts: 2,158 Member
    Hello @pattee2010 and @rachelrjh ! Welcome to Team Weight No More!

I'm Ashley, one of the captains for the team, and I'll be here to support you throughout your health journey, whether that be to explain away your water weight, tell a story about a hilarious tragedy, make a joke about eating my weight in brownies, or remind you that your coping mechanisms are valid.

Let the team know if you have any questions about how things work around here, if there's anything we can help you with, or anything else you can think of! We're a friendly bunch, and only getting friendlier (but not in a creepy way if we can help it!).

As for now, feel free to peruse the forums and introduce yourself if you'd like. You are not expected to make your first weigh-in until the first week of January!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 38,512 Member
    3 more new members heading your way .... Please welcome @Mom2mdv , @RoseyandReady and @aknroberts :)
  • tryingagain5
    tryingagain5 Posts: 1,037 Member
    Sunday 12/27 check in (rest of my day)
    Food: too much
    Water: a little more than I have been but still not nearly enough
    Exercise: went for a walk with my neighbor

I visited with one of my friends in the complex. As I was walking back to my condo, a couple other neighbors were outside with their dogs. One of them was going for a walk so I joined her. We went farther than I have gone in a while because of my back. We met another neighbor and his dog while on our walk. We stood and talked for a while and then walked again. I may have overdone it a little since my back and hip were pretty sore when I got home.

I did some meal prep. I now have 6 meals ready to go for dinners for the week. Chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery and onions made in the crockpot. I also have grape tomatoes, apples, oranges and bananas in the house. I have the ingredients to make overnight oats and energy bites, which I plan to do later today. Now I just need to start doing this every week or at least every other week.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,971 Member
    Sunday check in (late, sorry!)

Username GingerPwr
    PW 139
    CW 140

TOM is in town. I think it'll even out next week. But I'm also going to change back to a Wednesday weigh in starting in the new year.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    Okay. Pulling myself out of holiday sulks. I'm not a holiday kinda person. We weren't allowed to celebrate most "holidays" when I was a kid and I've never gotten the hang of it. They're worse since my sister and gran died...they just remind me of what I've lost.

I try not to bring my husband down...make nice XMas dinner (Roast Beef, mash, brussel sprout casserole), made fruit cake (his request, we've never done this before, reasonably successful) and cranberry bread (very evil & yum). Gave some away.

Had sushi with wasabi soy sauce last night. Forgot...no weighing for days after bad salt meals. Oooohhhh scary! I'm pretending I didn't see that.

Glad everyone survived! One more to go...plan: everyone eats black-eyed peas and greens on Friday. 2021 needs all the luck and prosperity wishes it can get!
  • 1theresamcvean
    1theresamcvean Posts: 945 Member
    Good Morning WNM....You have a new member heading your way .... Please welcome @pattee2010 :)

Welcome, @pattee2010 !
  • 1theresamcvean
    Hi WNM you have 2 newcomers heading your way ....Please welcome @pattee2010 and @rachelrjh :)

Welcome, @rachelrjh !
  • 1theresamcvean
    3 more new members heading your way .... Please welcome @Mom2mdv , @RoseyandReady and @aknroberts :)

Welcome @Mom2mdv @RoseyandReady and @aknroberts !
  • 1theresamcvean
    Sunday 12/27 check in (rest of my day)
    Food: too much
    Water: a little more than I have been but still not nearly enough
    Exercise: went for a walk with my neighbor

I visited with one of my friends in the complex. As I was walking back to my condo, a couple other neighbors were outside with their dogs. One of them was going for a walk so I joined her. We went farther than I have gone in a while because of my back. We met another neighbor and his dog while on our walk. We stood and talked for a while and then walked again. I may have overdone it a little since my back and hip were pretty sore when I got home.

I did some meal prep. I now have 6 meals ready to go for dinners for the week. Chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery and onions made in the crockpot. I also have grape tomatoes, apples, oranges and bananas in the house. I have the ingredients to make overnight oats and energy bites, which I plan to do later today. Now I just need to start doing this every week or at least every other week.

Great day! I'm inspired by your food prep. I went for a walk to the fruit market yesterday and got some ingredients for meal prep.
  • 1theresamcvean
    Okay. Pulling myself out of holiday sulks. I'm not a holiday kinda person. We weren't allowed to celebrate most "holidays" when I was a kid and I've never gotten the hang of it. They're worse since my sister and gran died...they just remind me of what I've lost.

I try not to bring my husband down...make nice XMas dinner (Roast Beef, mash, brussel sprout casserole), made fruit cake (his request, we've never done this before, reasonably successful) and cranberry bread (very evil & yum). Gave some away.

Had sushi with wasabi soy sauce last night. Forgot...no weighing for days after bad salt meals. Oooohhhh scary! I'm pretending I didn't see that.

Glad everyone survived! One more to go...plan: everyone eats black-eyed peas and greens on Friday. 2021 needs all the luck and prosperity wishes it can get!

Melanie, My son made a beautiful roast for Christmas dinner. He roasted it at 500 degrees for an hour and it was infused with rosemary, thyme, and garlic. So it had a nice crust and was rare in the middle with medium ends. He's pretty fancy. My daughter-in-law made a sweet potato casserole, and I made French green beans with a little garlic. No dessert but the sweet potatoes were lovely and sweet.

I'd love the recipe for your Brussels sprout casserole. I've never made one but love them steamed or roasted.

I'm going to try the black-eyed peas and greens. I've never heard of that tradition so thanks!
  • ljdanny
    ljdanny Posts: 2,053 Member
    I was very surprised I had a big weight loss but the week before was tom so I probably balanced out. Let's hope it keeps going down. I'm really enjoying my ifit ap and I think that's helping and I'm back at zumba. I did have a few too many drinks over the last few days so I'm hoping that didnt screw anything up. I do want to get back to anytime I have an alcoholic drink I stick to 2. I am also going to pull out my new food scale I bought months ago before my surgery and start using it.

I went to the store yesterday to look at spin bikes to see them in person, I just really wanted to get a look at how far the handle bars were from the seats. So I think today I will get online and hopefully find one. My new fitbit should come today and I joined run the year 2021 to motivate myself that starts on the 1st.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,290 Member
    edited December 2020
    Melanie, My son made a beautiful roast for Christmas dinner. He roasted it at 500 degrees for an hour and it was infused with rosemary, thyme, and garlic. So it had a nice crust and was rare in the middle with medium ends. He's pretty fancy. My daughter-in-law made a sweet potato casserole, and I made French green beans with a little garlic. No dessert but the sweet potatoes were lovely and sweet.

I'd love the recipe for your Brussels sprout casserole. I've never made one but love them steamed or roasted.

I'm going to try the black-eyed peas and greens. I've never heard of that tradition so thanks!

That does sound fancy. And nice. I love sweet potatoes (anything potato; though sweet potatoes are a different species, totally unrelated to the rest).
    So my brussie casserole recipe is from here: https://www.delish.com/holiday-recipes/thanksgiving/recipes/a44632/cheesy-brussels-sprout-casserole-recipe/. Even people who don't like brussies dive in. There's another one I've made that is similar (don't know where I found it) that omits bacon (I use turkey bacon) and adds a breadcrumb ish topping...Au Grautin Brussel Sprouts? that gets similar reactions.

The black eyed peas and greens thing is an old Southern (US) tradition, usually in the form of Hoppin' John that may have originated in the Carribean or Africa...hard to tell at this point. Supposedly the peas resemble coins. I don't see it but maybe old, tarnished, clipped coins? And the greens...well, green backs. That's the southern explanation. If the tradition goes back as far as it sounds like, that makes 0 sense (or cents! Ha! See what I did there?!?) but...whatever. I know we've got a couple southerners on here...feel free to explain it, I've probably made a hash of it.

I'll probably do Hoppin' John this year but have a recipe for black eyed peas somewhere that calls for tomatoes and methi that is really pretty, very Christmas-y, and yummy. I also have a BEP and butternut squash recipe I like quite a bit. My husband isn't a huge fan of black eyed peas so anything I make, I have to be willing to eat most (or all) of. Hoppin John might be the exception.

Note: not METH, methi, which is fenugreek leaves (like cilantro is corriander leaves), which can be hard to find unless you can find a really good indian grocery; I've only seen frozen, which work fine.
  • sleepymom5
    sleepymom5 Posts: 2,446 Member
    Check in for Sunday
    Food-logged and under
    Water- 80 oz
    Exercise-30 min walking video, PT and stretching

Good day back on track. I did have wings and a chocolate pretzel but I didn't overeat. I was way up in weight this morning but I am hoping that will drift down now that I am back to my usual eating. I still have to get this crap out of the house. It is garbage night tonight so a good day to do it. Have a great day everyone!

@pattee2010, @rachelrjh,@Mom2mdv,@RoseyandReadyand@aknroberts Welcome!
    @ljdanny Great job this week! You should be proud! Sounds like you have some great fitness plans going from 2020 into 2021! You are going to end 2020 and begin 2021 strong!
    @tryingagain5 I am sure you needed the rest, it is hard to work nights. You belong to a nice church. Christmas caroling is such a great idea. Didn't they drop off flowers or something towards the beginning of the pandemic too? It was good that you got out for a walk and got some socialization in too. I hope your back and hip are ok today. Great job with the meal prep for the week. Your future self will be thanking you when she doesn't feel like cooking later in the week. :)
    @GingerPwr Between the holidays and TOM I think that is a great weigh in.
    @melaniedscott I am glad that Christmas is behind you. You are not alone, there are many people out there who feel the same. Your dinner sounded yummy though. I agree, for New Years we should all be sure to eat those foods that are supposed to bring good luck. Lol!
    @1theresamcvean That dinner your son made sounds delicious! Yum!
  • pacsnc6
    pacsnc6 Posts: 978 Member
    Last week of the year. We still have time to get close to, if not meet our goals for the year. I am happy to be feeling great and still having few side effects from my treatments. And I have mostly maintained my weight for the year. I did have lots of sweets the last two weeks and added in salty foods, so the couple of pounds I am up right now will go down soon.
    @sleepymom5 I don't eat soup too often and almost never make it from scratch. The ham soup I made the other day was very good and I put a couple servings in the freezer.
    @1theresamcvean I have been looking at recipes for roasts lately and they recommend cooking at 500 for 1 minute per pound then turning the oven off but leave the meat in it for two hours. I tried it with a one pound roast - for two people - and it did pretty well. I would think 500 degrees for an hour would turn anything into a burned mess.
  • 1theresamcvean
    pacsnc6 wrote: »
    Last week of the year. We still have time to get close to, if not meet our goals for the year. I am happy to be feeling great and still having few side effects from my treatments. And I have mostly maintained my weight for the year. I did have lots of sweets the last two weeks and added in salty foods, so the couple of pounds I am up right now will go down soon.
    @sleepymom5 I don't eat soup too often and almost never make it from scratch. The ham soup I made the other day was very good and I put a couple servings in the freezer.
    @1theresamcvean I have been looking at recipes for roasts lately and they recommend cooking at 500 for 1 minute per pound then turning the oven off but leave the meat in it for two hours. I tried it with a one pound roast - for two people - and it did pretty well. I would think 500 degrees for an hour would turn anything into a burned mess.

Ah...It was a big roast, Patsy. The instructions were 5 minutes per pound at 500 and then let it rest outside of the oven for 15 minutes. It was rare but not awfully rare and very nice on the outside.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,971 Member
    @1theresamcvean ooooh that roast sounds amazing! I usually do 10 min per pound at a slightly lower temp, then let it sit in the oven afterward. Love the rosemary infusion - does that mean it was coated, or did he cut slices in the roast and stuff goodness into it?

@melaniedscott Um... that Brussels sprout casserole recipe: holy cheesiness, Batman! I made roasted B-sprouts with a balsamic glaze for Christmas - I used the cheese in some au gratin potatoes. I was right there with you on not feeling the holiday spirit this year. And I'm 100% in agreement about the black-eye peas and greens - though I think we're doing cabbage this year. I always either cook some sort of smoked sausage and cabbage dish or I'll do ham and greens with the black-eye peas.

WELCOME to all the new members! Glad to have you here!
This discussion has been closed.