How to get into cooking more (I hate it)

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,378 Member
    Please tell us what you hate about cooking. Is it the timing? My meals hardly ever take more than 30 minutes, and then I cook for two days and reheat the left. A simple pasta doesn't take long. Simple rice dishes, just a steak with potatoes and vegetables with butter, or tsatsiki? Cooking doesn't need to take hours to be delicious.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i rarely spend more than 30 minutes in the kitchen COOKING a day, and that's cooking for a family of 3. Holidays are of course, an exception.

if it were just for ME?

15 minutes? tops?

get an air fryer. you can make almost anything in those things. I had a salmon filet for lunch that I cooked in there and then (prepackaged) zucchini fries.

Cooking for one is pretty easy as far as time goes.

make chili or soups and package down into smaller servings you can freeze and reheat. active time MAKING that is 15 minutes? chop veg, meat, throw it in a pot and let it cook.

salad is always quick and easy. cook a couple of chicken breasts and put in fridge or freezer to use in your salads.

I'm making quiche for dinner tonight. i chopped up everything this morning and will assemble and bake tonight. eggs, ham, broccoli, cheese. bake. a standard pie plate will make 8 standard serving sizes. cut and freeze for later.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    edited December 2020
    I should have added above that I find cooking to be a chore. I've been cooking for about 50 years (since I was a kid) and I don't enjoy it. It's not as bad as scrubbing the shower, but I'd rather do just about anything else instead. And, still, I eat at least 20 meals a week made at home.

Well, if you've been cooking all of your life (as I have been doing for about 60 years) and still consider it a "chore," I really don't think anyone can help you think otherwise.

As I mentioned before, it mainly starts w/your attitude, especially if you're single (like it seems you are, and as am I, and have no other significant demands on your time/attn.

In this case, if you think it's a "chore," it always will be a "chore" to you and no suggestions from any of us in order to make it simpler or better will likely change your mind about that.

But, again, good luck with that.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    I don't know. I love to cook and have been doing it for 50 yrs, but I can understand people that don't. In that case I would keep it simple and fast. Internet has lots of ideas. We are all different and that is a good thing. I hate to figure out finances--I would rather clean the bathroom,..... or the refrigerator.
  • GingerPwr
    GingerPwr Posts: 1,978 Member
    In addition to the wonderful advice about batch cooking and quick meals, I'd also say that you should do a weekly menu for yourself, which can help you budget better. That way, you can choose meals to cook based on much of what you already have, and make full use of your food so there's no waste.

• Lolinloggen
    Lolinloggen Posts: 463 Member
    Both my husband and I love cooking. But it is excessively rare that we spend more than 30 minutes in the kitchen on any normal day lso In most cases of that 30min at least 15min is spent waiting.
    Most meals do not require that much time and as said before getting the right tools helps a lot
  • ClearNotCloudyMind
    ClearNotCloudyMind Posts: 238 Member
    There’s so many good suggestions above. My two bits:

Think about your current favourite meal (takeout/reddimeal whatever). Google a recipe online for it, with all the trimmings, that looks doable. Get the right ingredients and the right cooking kit (pans, knives). Then MAKE the meal and enjoy the hell out of it. It might take a bit of time but the sense of achievement is amazing and may kickstart other cooking attempts.

If you’re genuinely not a fan of food then maybe don’t bother? Chop a load of raw salad veg into a big bowl with some drained mixed beans or tinned tuna and a squeeze of lemon and you’ve a fabulous healthy meal which costs pennies and needs no cooking.

Best of luck!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    edited December 2020
    okbuddha wrote: »
    I’m living at home right now, so I don’t cook a lot. Buying pre-made meals costs more, then I save less and it’s a vicious cycle.

Is there a way to make it less painful? All of my meals right now are raw or microwaved. Sometimes 15 minutes in the oven, sometimes the crockpot.

I spend less than an hour preparing my meals. I did a basic google search and some health bloggers spend 2-4 hours in the kitchen each day. How do I get to maybe just an hour, for now?

I LOVE to cook but when I was employed normally spent no more than an hour total for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (Now that I have more free time I make more elaborate meals.)

Perhaps share what you're cooking and we can suggest how to streamline it.

Check out Rachael Ray’s 30 Minute Meals. I haven't watched her in ages, but when I did loved her energy and time saving tips.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/30-minute-meals/all-30-recipes-from-rachael-rays-30-minute-meals
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Can you share more what you hate about cooking? It might help people give better tips.

For example, my sister hated cooking and it turned out she just hated her dull knife and tiny cutting board that made everything feel more difficult. When she upgraded to a bigger cutting board and a higher quality (but still not expensive) chef knife, the stuff that felt tedious before (like chopping an onion or carrots) suddenly became no big deal.

Other tips I've seen: Try pre-cut vegetables to speed up prep time (they even sell frozen chopped onions and herbs!), make sure you've got sufficient counter space, try to keep up with your dishes so you don't have to clean BEFORE you cook, get a cookbook that is specifically tailored to avoid what you hate about cooking, take advantage of meal prep (you cook fewer times per week, but get more meals out of each session).

My OH tends to use the wrong knife and small cutting board. On the rare occasions that he cooks dinner, I organize everything for him, which includes putting out the big cutting board and right knife. He doesn't chop correctly, which is painful for me to watch, so I walk away, grateful that he is cooking :lol:

Here's a chef demonstrating how to chop several different types of foods:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6uw_9Hx7_U&feature=emb_logo
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I should have added above that I find cooking to be a chore. I've been cooking for about 50 years (since I was a kid) and I don't enjoy it. It's not as bad as scrubbing the shower, but I'd rather do just about anything else instead. And, still, I eat at least 20 meals a week made at home.

Well, if you've been cooking all of your life (as I have been doing for about 60 years) and still consider it a "chore," I really don't think anyone can help you think otherwise.

As I mentioned before, it mainly starts w/your attitude, especially if you're single (like it seems you are, and as am I, and have no other significant demands on your time/attn.

In this case, if you think it's a "chore," it always will be a "chore" to you and no suggestions from any of us in order to make it simpler or better will likely change your mind about that.

But, again, good luck with that.

I think you confused me with the OP. I was offering suggestions, not asking for any.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I’m living at home right now, so I don’t cook a lot. Buying pre-made meals costs more, then I save less and it’s a vicious cycle.

Is there a way to make it less painful? All of my meals right now are raw or microwaved. Sometimes 15 minutes in the oven, sometimes the crockpot.

I spend less than an hour preparing my meals. I did a basic google search and some health bloggers spend 2-4 hours in the kitchen each day. How do I get to maybe just an hour, for now?

I LOVE to cook but when I was employed normally spent no more than an hour total for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. (Now that I have more free time I make more elaborate meals.)

Check out Rachael Ray’s 30 Minute Meals. I haven't watched her in ages, but when I did loved her energy and time saving tips.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/30-minute-meals/all-30-recipes-from-rachael-rays-30-minute-meals

i LOATHE rachael ray. her recipes are fine, I've tried several over the years. but id rather gouge my eyes out with a shrimp fork than see or listen to her :D
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    @kshama2001

Thank you for posting that video!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member

i LOATHE rachael ray. her recipes are fine, I've tried several over the years. but id rather gouge my eyes out with a shrimp fork than see or listen to her :D

I just want her house. :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

didn't it catch fire?

Theres a 250 acre farm for sale near us. a cool $1.7 million.

sigh. dreams.

LOLOLOL
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

didn't it catch fire?

Theres a 250 acre farm for sale near us. a cool $1.7 million.

sigh. dreams.

LOLOLOL

Yes, but isn't the one she's filming from now, her guest house or something?? Which IMO is a mansion. :)
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    I love cooking, I don't love cleaning up after. :)

If I found it painful - I'd probably just pick foods that are quick and easy. If you have a skillet and oven - you are in luck - 10 minutes and you are out of the kitchen. Sounds like you already are doing a lot of raw foods.

Cooking doesn't have to be painful or time consuming -I grew up with a working Mom, who after work -tossed steak in the broiler for 2 minutes on each side and put it on a plate. That's it. Time was of the utmost importance. She used tin foil - because who wants to wash dishes? (I now own a crueset dish, but I digress...lol)

If you are looking to find easier ways of cooking to up your options and boost your nutrition -I'd get a good no stick skillet and a pan for the oven. Saves on butter and oil.

Any of the below - skillet,
    ==Hot & fast - Most under 10 minutes.

*filet of ANY fish. - pan fry or oven poach/oven bake - (pan -2/3 min each side depending on taste)
    *scallops - pan fry
    *steak - grill or pan fry
    *Pork chops - grill or pan fry
    *omelette
    *tofu scramble
    *sauteed veggies or baked veggies- time differs per veggie. (Baked potatoes, yams, squash - chuck it in oven, set timer, boom - done.) no fuss.

you can literally cook any vegetable in the oven by wrapping in foil or placing in an oven dish and setting a timer. When you come back - its done. Put in dish, season if you are fancy, set timer, come back to whafting aromatic smell, open oven - et voila!

Clean pan or ignore in sink. Ignore - put some water in that bad boy and let sit. (Or see above for tin foil hack.)

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,967 Member
    I find omelettes for 2 people take about 20 minutes from beginning to end - but most of that is cutting up the filler ingredients - so I guess you could do it in less if you use pre cut items or less ingredients or don't cut up as finely
    (or you could pre cut and keep ready in fridge)
  • thelastnightingale
    thelastnightingale Posts: 725 Member
    Timing is everything.

I get completely burnt out from work and often can't face cooking. The trick is to catch that moment during the weekend when I'm rested enough to cook without it feeling like the hardest thing in the world.

I only make things that I really enjoy and that are worth my time.

A soupmaker is great - cut veggies, add to soupmaker, lid on, leave it to do its thing. You can probably do similar with a crockpot?

I like soufflés, but not enough to make them. Instead, I pan fry some veggies with oil spray, then crack in some eggs and make a scramble. Not even a tortilla/omelette - scramble is quicker.

Have a think about which foods you really enjoy (what would you order if eating out?), then how you can simplify them into something quicker to cook that you'll still enjoy, and then have a think about how those meals can be adapted for bulk/meal prepping. Your starting point has to be food that you really want to eat, as opposed to food you think you should eat.
  • 2furryfriendz
    2furryfriendz Posts: 283 Member
    edited January 2021
    There are great suggestions here. The video on how to use a knife is good. Having a good fundamental on knife skills and a good sharp knife, IMO makes cooking easier because you're not spending your time prepping (this is the time consuming part). BTW, my Dh doesn't like cooking.. just watching him use a bread knife makes me cringe. :#

I love cooking. It's a place where I can be creative with recipes.

Do you have a bbq or a electric grill? These are great cooking appliances to have if you have room or budget. For an indoor grill, I have the Cuisinart griddler but any indoor plug-in grill will do. When it's cold outside, I like to be able to grill steak, chicken and vegetables indoors.
    Whether you're using a bbq or indoor grill, grilling a steak can take up to 8 min depending preferred doneness, add a green salad or a side dish and you will have a meal - less than 30 minutes from prep to sitting down to eat.

Another note - (this might be a repeat) - search for 30 minute meals, crockpot, instapot, air fryer. The last 3, you will have to prep the food but just pop the ingredients in, set it and you have a meal.

Cooking doesn't have to be painful. It's really how you make it out to be.

• Deewithadoo
    Deewithadoo Posts: 26 Member
    I hear ya. I hate to cook too! I'd rather clean 15 toilets! Looking for stuff I can buy and just heat up...healthy of course.