WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2020

Replies

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,024 Member
    edited December 2020
    I could give the name of the groups that send them to me and if you do Facebook you could look at them too. Taking a picture of them I don't think would work well and they are copyrighted pictures.

Beauty of the Earth
    Planet Earth
    English Zen Garden
    Power of Positivity
    Flowers my Inspiration

I also share the Missouri Botanical Garden

I belong to Grow with Kare gardening group that only shares within the group. Beautiful garden pictures and sharing gardening knowledge.

These sites along with this site are helping me through social distancing.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    Thank you Beth. I know you do not have an easy road, too. T

This is why I try to share something beautiful on Facebook everyday. For some reason I have been sent these gorgeous pictures from all over the world. Facebook will not let me share them here. If someone knows how to do that let me know. Those pictures remind me how amid all the negative that is out that there is beauty that will take your breath away. The nice thing is when I share them they go to my timeline. There is also other things to weed through on Facebook, so when I need a pick me up I go to my timeline so this is the majority of what I see.

Right click ... copy image.

And if it doesn't work right from your newsfeed, click on the picture, then right click ... copy image.

I set up Friends Lists with pages I like. That way I can see what I like to see. :)

M in Oz
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Lisa in AR - thats terrific about your son and the new job. I hope he gets it. Everyone needs some
    thing to be happy about these days.

Janetr OKC
  • janetr7476
    Karen in VA, You have Julia's cell number? I wanna hook up with her on the next trail ride.

Janetr OKC
  • Machka9
    MACHKA
    I know it's really upsetting and it probably doesn't help but I think it's not unusual that with age-things occur (health issues or accidents) that make it harder to travel like we used to. I used to backpack and do tons of sports, and jog. That's really not an option now: knee and foot issues but also overall energy.

The thing is ... I've still got the energy and still want to do all kinds of things. I'm only 53! But it is harder now with my husband. I'm looking at options like starting to run at lunch.

Is the obligation to stay in Tasmania definitive ?

For now.

I highly doubt we'll be able to leave Tasmania in 2021 and possibly not 2022 either. After that ... we'll see.

Tasmania is pretty but small. It's slightly larger than West Virginia in the US. Bigger than Lithuania, smaller than Ireland. Just a little bit bigger than Nova Scotia. Twice the size of Vancouver Island.

And I miss a lot of places. I'd love to hop over to Victoria (state in Australia) to see the area around where we used to live. I'd love to go up to Queensland for a week in winter. Of course, I really want to go to Canada again.

When I say "we'll see" above, it has to do with my husband's worker's compensation situation but also his health in general.

We were told that a person has a normal life expectancy ... whatever that may be. His parents passed away in their late 70s, I think, so 80 might be his life expectancy. However, a severe brain injury reduces that life expectancy and the normal deterioration of the brain as you get older is accelerated. So maybe that brings him back to a life expectancy of 75.

He's 65 now and struggling to do things that he could do really well before the accident. When he was 62, we cycled a 300 km event in 18 hours including all breaks ... and he was slightly stronger than me! Now I'm the strong one.

The longer worker's compensation delays in allowing us to live our lives, the more he'll deteriorate. So if they happen to remove the restrictions in 2022, I'm not sure how much we're going to be able to do anyway. It is just frustrating.

Eventually I would like to get back to Canada so I have some of my family around me, but I'm not making any plans.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    @Snowflake1968 ... so sorry about this situation in the place you work and the loss of your favourite resident. :(
    @TerriRichardson112 ... sorry about your teaching colleague
    @sh0tzz99 ... ((hugs))

@evie1958 ... lovely cradle!

@OregonMother ... your family, including mother, should go for another test just to be sure. The numbers in the US are likely to soar because of the careless desire to be with family this Christmas.

@Anniesquats100 ... do your parents do seated exercises so they don't have to get down on the floor?

@exermom ... I'm glad you have an appointment. It's best to get these things properly checked and to get medical advice on what to do.
    I have read that many people who have maintained regular income have saved since the beginning of Covid: no/less eating out, no/little travelling, less/no non-essential shopping...

We saved money! No transportation costs. Less shopping. No travel for quite a few months.

Awesome! I have almost never done competitive sports or competition, but the one time, a few years ago, I did I did okay found the training for it very helpful and motivating health-wise.

In high school, I was into running races. The 200 meter distance was mine! But I did a few others as well. After high school, I didn't do much of anything competitive until I got into bicycle racing in my late 20s. I did fairly well at Criteriums, not so well at Road Races, and reasonably well at Time Trials ... and loved the Time Trials. So in my last year of racing all I did was Time Trials.

Then I got into ultra cycling and the only competitive events I did were 24-hour Time Trials, where the person with the most distance at the end of 24 hours wins. I loved those but they don't have them here in Australia.

More recently I've done one or two races with Zwift - indoor cycling and it's a great motivator. I'll have to do more this coming winter.

Weighing ... I weigh myself daily, unless we're away and I don't have scale handy. I find that helpful for me.

Tank Tops & Shorts ... for a while, earlier in the menopause process, I went through wicked hot flashes. Now I have occasional ones, but I'm generally hot now. It has to be quite chilly for me to want to wear much more than a tank top and shorts! I have to dress up a bit when I go to work, but there I usually wear a skirt and sleeveless top.

M in Oz
  • janetr7476
    edited December 2020
    Evening ladies
    All i have to say is holy cow how did women wear corsets lol
    I have my life vest on and that has to be tight to the upper ribcage.so God forbid im unconscious that it could zap me if needed. And to compound that bought a 42 G bra to wear over it,which keeps the sisters together.. but the 2 together OY..
    The incision where they did the surgery is sore,basically the upper right breast but taking Tylenol messes with the blood thinner.
    The defibrillator has a 5 lb battery that i have to wear like a purse ,so im in my nightgown,with the battery habging on my right arm,wrapped up tighter than a tick, and trying to get comfortable..
    Well i shouldnt complain ,cause its better than the alternative..

Oh, Allie, bless your heart. Here you are making jokes and all stuffed into a corset. I'm not sure whether to be jealous or in awe of a 42 G bra!! Ha.

You hang tough girl, we love you.
    Janetr OKC
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 2,961 Member
    My dad does a whole routine that he learned at the senior center, some of which is seated. My mom, who needs it more, has already lost interest. One of these days she is going to have trouble with the stairs, and that will be a problem.

Annie in Delaware
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    1ssr57jyjdy6.jpeg
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    JanetR- nope you dont want the sisters that big.. very uncomfortable... ive had enough surgery ,so will leave it alone. But nope ya dont want anything that size ,believe you me...
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    <3
  • janetr7476
    JanetR- nope you dont want the sisters that big.. very uncomfortable... ive had enough surgery ,so will leave it alone. But nope ya dont want anything that size ,believe you me...

I'll take your word for it, girlfriend. :)

Janetr OKC
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,722 Member
    Flea ... same situation in my house ... no one in since March ... except for a couple that brought dinner to us one night in August. They dropped the food off but stepped into the kitchen to put it on the counter. Even though they were masked, it freaked me out. We are hyper vigilant here with my disabled son.

Lisa ... I forgot that you don’t like surprises of any kind!

Beth
  • Machka9
    5wjbvl5yyi37.png

Machka in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

The thing is ... I've still got the energy and still want to do all kinds of things. I'm only 53! But it is harder now with my husband. I'm looking at options like starting to run at lunch.

For now.

I highly doubt we'll be able to leave Tasmania in 2021 and possibly not 2022 either. After that ... we'll see.

Tasmania is pretty but small. It's slightly larger than West Virginia in the US. Bigger than Lithuania, smaller than Ireland. Just a little bit bigger than Nova Scotia. Twice the size of Vancouver Island.

And I miss a lot of places. I'd love to hop over to Victoria (state in Australia) to see the area around where we used to live. I'd love to go up to Queensland for a week in winter. Of course, I really want to go to Canada again.

When I say "we'll see" above, it has to do with my husband's worker's compensation situation but also his health in general.

We were told that a person has a normal life expectancy ... whatever that may be. His parents passed away in their late 70s, I think, so 80 might be his life expectancy. However, a severe brain injury reduces that life expectancy and the normal deterioration of the brain as you get older is accelerated. So maybe that brings him back to a life expectancy of 75.

He's 65 now and struggling to do things that he could do really well before the accident. When he was 62, we cycled a 300 km event in 18 hours including all breaks ... and he was slightly stronger than me! Now I'm the strong one.

The longer worker's compensation delays in allowing us to live our lives, the more he'll deteriorate. So if they happen to remove the restrictions in 2022, I'm not sure how much we're going to be able to do anyway. It is just frustrating.

Eventually I would like to get back to Canada so I have some of my family around me, but I'm not making any plans.

M in Oz

That is hard.
    That is great that you are still full of energy!

For me that was the case when visiting my sister for 2 weeks a few years back, and she couldn't walk more than a few minutes or when my sister's younger family visited me and 2 had walking issues and the other, other health issues.

It's true that accidents and other health issues can have an impact on overall life expectancy.

In the 2 lockdowns here, we were limited to 1km, very strictly the 1st time (no going to work...) so I discovered almost every street within 1km in this busy city with many little streets.

You are right that the lockdown is slowing us all down these years. For others there may be family and money issues that keep from travelling.

My sister, who is 65, has lots of family and usually quite a head on her shoulders, actually suggested we go for a road trip in the usa last summer!

---

I saw that 25% of French people are spending new year's alone this year, or not celebrating at all.

With curfew at 8pm, inflatable mattresses sold out these days.
  • Machka9

M in Ozq8hbacu0th99.png
  • Machka9
    edited December 2020
    Machka9 wrote: »

For now.

M in Oz

That is hard.
    That is great that you are still full of energy!

I am in my 50s ... it's not like I'm 80 yet!!

It kind of hit home to me recently when my father, who is 79, cycled further than I did in 2020!! GASP! I've got to get my butt on my bicycle more often!!

You are right that the lockdown is slowing us all down these years. For others there may be family and money issues that keep from travelling.

That's been one of the many good things about 2020 ... I'm not alone! Everyone else is shut down too! :):) Kind of hoping there will be more shut downs in 2021!

But while you all will come out of your shut downs ... we remain in ours. I've done some research and it turns out Tassie has some of the most restrictive worker's compensation laws around.

I saw that 25% of French people are spending new year's alone this year, or not celebrating at all.

We'll be celebrating as we often do ... at home, watching a movie. My husband will likely go to bed by about 10:30 and I'll likely ring in the new year in bed with a good book. :)

Much better than being out and about!

Machka in Oz