What present did the LL group give you this year?

NovusDies
NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
This year I unwrapped:

Commonness - sounds like a bad thing but experiencing things that you feel are unique to you and your situation is not ideal. Thanks for sharing the positive and negative things that you have faced that have some overlaps with mine.

Middle-of-the-road support - again sounds bad but support that feels aloof seems too cold and distant while support from someone that is in your face and your business constantly feels intrusive. I believe we all care what happens to each other but it stops at what I believe is a comfortable level. We can rely on each other to a point but ultimately we have to face a good deal of it on our own.

Easy leadership - This group has been easy to oversee. Almost no drama and people here may not have all their answers but they have similar mindsets.

It didn't fail - 6 months later and this group is still here and doing well. Most groups get created and soon after hit the MFP group graveyard which has thousands and thousands of dead groups. When I created this I did so expecting that there was a better chance of it failing than succeeding so I am surprised.

Thanks!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    This year I unwrapped:

Commonness - sounds like a bad thing but experiencing things that you feel are unique to you and your situation is not ideal. Thanks for sharing the positive and negative things that you have faced that have some overlaps with mine.

Middle-of-the-road support - again sounds bad but support that feels aloof seems too cold and distant while support from someone that is in your face and your business constantly feels intrusive. I believe we all care what happens to each other but it stops at what I believe is a comfortable level. We can rely on each other to a point but ultimately we have to face a good deal of it on our own.

Thanks!

Pretty much ditto to this! Very hungover right now so I'll leave it with your more eloquent description.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    It's given me comfort that my issues are quite common, good advice and the desire to carry on - especially the last few months where I was in danger of giving up.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    I got the gift of sharing ideas and struggles with people who truly understand. I've also gotten some great new friends whom I can only ope I support as much as they support me.
  • FitByFifty1970
    FitByFifty1970 Posts: 127 Member
    Accountability. I post my progress publicly here and want to show consistentcy and that I'm walking my talk.

Comraderie. I was offline the past 7+ days and I missed seeing the posts of issues, struggles, and successes.

Safety. I do not minimize those with less weight to lose, they have their own struggles. But I cannot relate to the 20 pound to lose. I started out enormous. I have lost 35 pounds and am down to huge. I have 40 more to go until I'm just big. Another 20 and I'll be chunky. The last 20 gets me to okay. The safety to be open about those kinds of numbers is something I rely upon.

• DogMom919
    DogMom919 Posts: 58 Member
    Two important realizations: 1) I am not alone and 2) that things are not usually quite as dismal as they seem.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Oh my...this group has given me so much....the support and motivation have certainly helped but most of all the friendship and the unique sense of us all being in this together has been the best gift...I hope 2020 brings us all the weight losses we are working toward and we continue to share and support one another....
    A special thanks to Novus for creating this group and sharing so much of his own journey with us....
    It is my privledge to be a part of this group!..Happy Holidays everyone!

I was reading old posts and I found this one from last Christmas....little did we know what a different kind of world we would be living in this year...COVID outbreak, quarantines, shortages of essential products,masks,the tragic losses of friends and families around the world, a new president, and so many more changes that are becoming our new normal!

This year I have learned that only I can control my own behavior and the way I deal with what I eat!...many new members have joined and left our group...some of us are still here fighting the same battles with food....some new members are really doing great and I congratulate each one of you....we are all wiser and stronger for continuing our journey to good health!...some days are easier than others and some days continue to be a struggle....but here we are and the choices we make are ours....with so many things in our lives out of our control, what we eat and how we treat our bodies is our decision....

Make your choices wisely!....I want to wish each one of you a new beginning for 2021... together we are stronger!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    comradeship exactly. Inspiration. Support. And most importantly? people who will put up with my whiny moments, won't judge or give knee-jerk platitudes, but sympathize, encourage, support, and give thoughtful advice.

Thanks, guys!
  • lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,545 Member
    This group is helping me come to understand that weight loss - and later, maintenance - is a long term way of life. Not a task to accomplish. Reading posts written by those who have been doing this for awhile, and who just keep going, is extraordinarily inspirational. Thank you all.
  • jodibeth5744
    jodibeth5744 Posts: 65 Member
    This group has made me feel not alone, and made me realize my challenges are shared by others. Most importantly this group has helped me give up my all or nothing mentality and that made me come out of 2020 better than I went into it. This group has also given me a space to help others, which is a great feeling to be giving back.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    I hope everyone knows how important each of us are to this group....it is so good to have a place to go to vent, learn,cry,brag or whatever without being judged....together we make this group stronger!