What "trendy" foods do you have no interest in trying?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    edited December 2020
    I attempted the whipped coffee. Can confirm, maximum effort for underwhelming coffee that eventually ends up just being iced coffee with too much milk in it.

I like zoodles and spaghetti squash, but yes, if you make them expecting them to be anything like real pasta, you will be disappointed.

I don't "get" bulletproof coffee. I've never tried it, maybe it's amazing, I don't know. But it's hard to get past the idea of "coffee with butter in it." There's a quasi-vegan coffee shop near my house that has it on the menu alongside all of their woo-smoothies full of turmeric and unicorn pee or whatever, I don't know. If it wasn't literally twelve dollars I'd try it just to see what it's like, but that's too much for "coffee with butter in it."

I tried it. I love fat, but don't find it especially filling, and that includes bullet proof coffee. I started adding protein powder to it, and slowly decreasing the fat and adding fiber, until the fat just came from chocolate, chia seeds and shredded coconut. Now I have a filling, balanced smoothie for under 300 calories.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    $10 a bar fried cheese.

what is this?
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    I have never purchased a protein bar or a protein powder in my life and I have no interest, either. Am I missing something?
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I have never purchased a protein bar or a protein powder in my life and I have no interest, either. Am I missing something?

I'm going to say no
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

Not at all
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member

No, not unless you would find one tasty or could use the extra protein. There are a few things I enjoy eating (mainly smoothies) where protein powder is a tasty way to increase the protein for relatively few cals based on other options and protein powder is easy to have on hand since you don't really have to worry about it going bad. I wouldn't feel like I was missing out if I could never have it again, however.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member

Some are like Snickers bars with a little extra protein. I would never eat as many Snickers as I do protein bars (because "healthy"). I finally stopped buying them.
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Some are like Snickers bars with a little extra protein. I would never eat as many Snickers as I do protein bars (because "healthy"). I finally stopped buying them.

...and what's totally funny is that the actual Snickers bar now sell a 'Protein' bar...
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,227 Member

No.

I keep some protein bars on hand because they are good for those times where my chronic pain/fatigue is just kicking my butt but I need to get something down. They take 0 work to eat, give me a decent amount of calories/protein/fat/carbs, and taste good. I also like them for tossing in my bag when I know I will be out a long time and may not be able to grab food.

But they are not a normal part of my diet.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited December 2020

I haven't found a protein bar yet that I consider edible. I'd rather have a candy bar and call it a day. The powder is even worse..they usually taste vile and give me stomach issues.
    $10 a bar fried cheese.

what is this?
    I also wondered this too...a $10 bar fried cheese sounds like something I may need to look into.

I know I've already put Beyond Meat on my no list, but seeing that Pizza Hut has added it to their toppings list has only solidified that choice. The idea of it on a pizza.. just..nope.
  • dragon_girl26
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    Anything from a fast food restaurant

I'm with you on this. Since I rarely eat meat anymore, there are very few places that appeal to me. For the ones that do, I'm too impatient to wait in the endless drive thru lines everywhere these days. It just seems less exhausting to make it at home for myself.
  • silverpl2525
    silverpl2525 Posts: 138 Member
    Zucchini spirals instead of pasta
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    edited December 2020
    Overnight oats-- my oatmeal already tastes yummy and takes like 2 minutes to make.
    Also these board things:
    hnwbmpb4ps9e.png
    I mean... I like most of the things on here individually, but I don't get the hype.
  • dragon_girl26
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Is there hype about those board things? They seem like a pretty normal party platter type thing.

(But then I'm much more confused by the idea that fast food is trendy. Maybe I take these thread titles too literally!)

Yeah, I think Aldi especially has been hyping this trend up in their stores. I mean, they look pretty and I'd be all over some cheese and crackers...but I guess I'd rather just put my portions on a plate straight from the fridge and call it a day..lol
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,724 Member
    breefoshee wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Is there hype about those board things? They seem like a pretty normal party platter type thing.

(But then I'm much more confused by the idea that fast food is trendy. Maybe I take these thread titles too literally!)

There is lol! I think it's just about how pretty you can make things and take a picture. I see these posted for like a normal person's lunch-- not like a party tray. Which is fine, you do you. But to me it's just a glorified Lunchables.

It's not me, but some people are very stimulated, pleasurably, by the visual aspect of food. (I have a friend like this, she's from a family that includes several artists, so I suspect some genetic inclination to favor visual sense.) It's not irrelevant that some of the expensive vacation "weight loss spas" feature ultra-low-calorie foods that are very flavorful and strikingly beautiful on the plate.

Different people resonate more to one sense or another (it's a thing I needed to know in developing education/training materials for adults). Those of us who are more about the taste of food (or fuel, or nutrition, or somesuch) don't really get it, when it comes to food.

Lunchables are not visually stimulating. IG is a visual person's playground.