30 days no added sugar

Sunshinfit
Sunshinfit Posts: 232 Member
With all the holiday snacking I need to get my sugar intake in check. My plan is to not consume any candies, cakes, and other yummy treats between 12/27-1/26. I will still eat fruit, milk, and other foods with natural sugar but will stay away from processed sugars and artificial sweetener. I have done this before in the past and find it decreases sugar cravings and even makes some things I usually enjoy to sweet. Feel free to join.

Replies

• carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    I am in, I am going to start on January 1 but already working to cut down on sugar. I have also done this in the past and a couple of Whole30‘s and always feel so much better afterwards!!
  • kalchthaleri
    kalchthaleri Posts: 231 Member
    Dudes I have to say I started to do this on June 1 and it has REALLY HELPED! I am a very disordered eater (bingeing/restricting/over-excersizing/not exercising). I am an extreme person. Highest weight 338lbs. Lowest 115lbs. and losing my hair, eating 800 calories a day, exercising 3 hours a day). Got some help and I still face those challenges. BUT I have not binged or restricted or skipped a workout or over-exercised since I gave up added sugar. Don’t know if it is physiological or psychological, but it is working for me! Staying at 132-139 range since August and I do feel better. I encourage you and applaud you and you are in my prayers! See if it works for you! Xoxo
  • Sunshinfit
    Dudes I have to say I started to do this on June 1 and it has REALLY HELPED! I am a very disordered eater (bingeing/restricting/over-excersizing/not exercising). I am an extreme person. Highest weight 338lbs. Lowest 115lbs. and losing my hair, eating 800 calories a day, exercising 3 hours a day). Got some help and I still face those challenges. BUT I have not binged or restricted or skipped a workout or over-exercised since I gave up added sugar. Don’t know if it is physiological or psychological, but it is working for me! Staying at 132-139 range since August and I do feel better. I encourage you and applaud you and you are in my prayers! See if it works for you! Xoxo

Wow that’s awesome how well it has worked for you! Thanks for the words of encouragement ☺️
  • Sunshinfit
    carlsoda wrote: »
    I am in, I am going to start on January 1 but already working to cut down on sugar. I have also done this in the past and a couple of Whole30‘s and always feel so much better afterwards!!

Awesome! Glad you can join!
  • Sunshinfit
    Day one no added sugar starts today. I am anticipating everything will run smoothly. The only hiccup I see is my boyfriend wanting me to eat up the cheesecake he made for Christmas. Maybe I can get him to freeze it for later.
  • Sunshinfit
    Day one no added sugar starts today. I am anticipating everything will run smoothly. The only hiccup I see is my boyfriend wanting me to eat up the cheesecake he made for Christmas. Maybe I can get him to freeze it for later.
  • threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    I'm phasing out sugar but there's no way that I can go 30 days suddenly. I'll phase it out with increasing periods without. I did 6 weeks a few years ago. Expect to hear from me, probably around March. I have a birthday in February and I'll treat myself to sugar then.
  • Sunshinfit
    Day 1 went smoothly. I was feeling some sugar withdrawals which where a lot like caffeine withdrawals. I also felt my workout was more effective today, like I could feel it in my muscles more. I don’t know if it’s a placebo effect or if I am less bloated due to norms eating added sugars. Even with being mindful I had 26 grams of sugar today.
  • carlsoda
    Sunshinfit wrote: »
    Day 1 went smoothly. I was feeling some sugar withdrawals which where a lot like caffeine withdrawals. I also felt my workout was more effective today, like I could feel it in my muscles more. I don’t know if it’s a placebo effect or if I am less bloated due to norms eating added sugars. Even with being mindful I had 26 grams of sugar today.

Great job! The first few days are the hardest then it gets easy!

Amazing all the hidden sugars out there plus the natural sugars (fruit). Natural sugars are ok to eat as they are balanced out with fiber but still need to be mindful and not rely on them because you are craving sugar 😀 a great learning experience!!
  • Sunshinfit
    Oops typed a who Lang paragraph then pushed done not post reply. Today went well. Had 11 grams of sugar today and said no to yummy cheesecake for dessert
  • Sunshinfit
    Day 3 done. Cutting out all the candies and baked goods is really showing me how much sugar I am still eating daily.
  • Stud47
    Stud47 Posts: 389 Member
    51 yo man

Im n i will cut all added sugar, will consume only natural sugar from fruits and vegetables,
    Will try to keep this after another one month.

Happy new year
  • carlsoda
    Today is day 1!! Let’s get detoxed off sugar!!
  • Sunshinfit
    We got this! I let myself have sugar yesterday so this is day 1 for me also!
  • Sunshinfit
    Day one complete ☺️. I did not eat any added sugars. I did have plenty of fruit and learned there’s 20 grams of sugar just in a banana. I’m still going to eat them since it’s fruit. This day one went much smoother then my first day last week. Yesterday although filled with plenty of goodies must not have messed with things to much. How did everyone else do today?
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    I'd like to join in. I was going to start today then my husband decided he would make a new brioche recipe and asked me to try it out. Hmm. He knew I was planning on cutting out sugar. Not the best support at home so I will join in here and start tomorrow. At least I only had a small chunk and avoided the Christmas cake, Christmas pudding, mince pies, chocolates and biscuits still around the house since Christmas.
  • Sunshinfit
    Yes please join! I have the same issue with having my guy give me yummy treats☺️ The same day I informed him I was giving up added sugars for a bit he wanted me to eat some cheesecake he made.
  • krea4
    krea4 Posts: 1,809 Member
    I started on the 1st of Jan
    Me = 2
    Sugar = 0
    Streak = 2

The amount of times, over the last 2 days, I have opened kitchen cupboards to get sugary treats is incredible!
  • Sunshinfit
    krea4 wrote: »
    I started on the 1st of Jan
    Me = 2
    Sugar = 0
    Streak = 2

The amount of times, over the last 2 days, I have opened kitchen cupboards to get sugary treats is incredible!

Seems like the stuff is everywhere. Keep up the great work!
  • Sunshinfit
    Today I consumed a total of 43 grams of sugar. The biggest offender was again the banana at 19 grams. I must have been consuming so much sugar previously and don’t even want to guess what that looked like. I lost 1.4lb over the past week. For a good chunk of that time I was limiting sugar so I am sure that helped a little.