What "trendy" foods do you have no interest in trying?

Replies

• LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    There is a new hype over these! My husband was talking about it as if everyone knows what it is and we simply must have one (not his exact words). His friend made one up and texted out a picture in a group chat. So yes, I agree it's definitely a make something new and pretty, snap 10 pictures and text out and/or post best one.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    edited December 2020
    mushroom coffee

It's also a scam even if one were to believe in the health claims. I saw a video where this lady broke down how much mushroom powder you're actually getting in the coffee and it's a tiny amount, not enough to provide any significant nutritional boost.
    While I think they do look pretty. I have no desire to eat anything with glitter added to it. I've seen lots of glitter coffee and glitter pastries lately.

Eww, seriously? How does that even pass FDA guidelines?
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I agree with your definition of trendy, but my general impression is that milk subs generally (including nut milks) aren't all that trendy now (vs a few years ago). Oatmilk seems like the trendy thing now.

I am not adverse to trying it -- if offered it, I would drink some -- but given that I like homemade cashew milk for the fact that it includes cashews and thus is a decent way to add fat/creaminess to a soup or smoothie when I don't have milk (which I rarely do) or yogurt, and I like actual milk or soy for the protein, oatmilk just seems unlikely to meet my nutritional preferences.

But I'm someone who rarely uses and doesn't drink milk (not for any anti dairy reasons).

I don't understand why oat milk became the variety that everyone likes. Not only is it not nutritionally comparable to milk, but it also has a weird aftertaste. Before that, everyone was obsessed with almond milk and I didn't get that either. It always tasted gross to me.

I eat dairy but I also use soy and coconut milk. I don't see it as a substitute for milk, but rather as its own thing.
    acpgee wrote: »
    The sound of raindrop cake doesn't appeal to me.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raindrop_cake

That's just an electrophoresis gel.
    A couple of years ago I was in Potbelly's around Thanksgiving and saw they were promoting this ridiculous pumpkin pie shake (whole piece of pie in it, something like 2000 cals for the shake). I didn't know it was a thing, and I don't get the appeal at all.

I hate pumpkin pie so I physically recoiled while reading this.
    I don't "get" bulletproof coffee. I've never tried it, maybe it's amazing, I don't know. But it's hard to get past the idea of "coffee with butter in it." There's a quasi-vegan coffee shop near my house that has it on the menu alongside all of their woo-smoothies full of turmeric and unicorn pee or whatever, I don't know. If it wasn't literally twelve dollars I'd try it just to see what it's like, but that's too much for "coffee with butter in it."

I accidentally bought this bulletproof coffee-esque cold brew instead of the regular cold brew (it was only like $4 for a large bottle with 4-6 servings in it though):

https://www.stokbrew.com/cold-brew/cold-brew-coffee/fueled-unsweet-protein-cold-brew-coffee-48-oz/

I decided to try it after reading this thread and...it just tastes like coffee with cream and maybe a very slight coconut undertone. Which is good, but there's no point paying any extra for it.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    breefoshee wrote: »
    Overnight oats-- my oatmeal already tastes yummy and takes like 2 minutes to make.
    Also these board things:
    hnwbmpb4ps9e.png
    I mean... I like most of the things on here individually, but I don't get the hype.

i have a friend obsessed with making herself and kids these. and yes, instagramming it.

she does a lot of other things that make my eyes roll, too

LOL
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    There's edible glitter, and non-toxic glitter. Don't eat non-toxic glitter. (Stuff like Play-Doh is non-toxic, but we don't use it as a fondant substitute.) No guarantee that the bakery or coffee shop knows the difference.

In the US, edible glitter has only FDA-approved food ingredients (which may not be the badge of safety some people are looking for). The thing that makes it glitter is usually mica-based pearlescent stuff. Mica is a silicate mineral that's considered digestively inert (but there are versions processed to be edible, others not so much).

I don't see the point, but whatever. I'd observe that there are traditional foods that involve a garnish of very thin silver or gold leaf (real silver, gold), such as certain Indian desserts, and that's also considered safe (but may or may not be vegetarian). Last I knew, the FDA had not approved it, but a European certifying agency reportedly had (some forms).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited December 2020
    Is there hype about those board things? They seem like a pretty normal party platter type thing.

(But then I'm much more confused by the idea that fast food is trendy. Maybe I take these thread titles too literally!)

There is lol! I think it's just about how pretty you can make things and take a picture. I see these posted for like a normal person's lunch-- not like a party tray. Which is fine, you do you. But to me it's just a glorified Lunchables.

Haha, really? People are assembling these for themselves for lunch? Then, it's just something to Instagram, I guess.

In fairness to charcuterie boards, I have had them as appetizers in restaurants, and some have been AMAZING. Combinations of uncommon meats, cheeses, pates, mustards, olives, etc., that are assembled by chefs who know what works well together. Let's just say it's not cheddar and salami and Ritz crackers.

Yeah, agree with this. I do like them as restaurant appetizers on occasion (or did back in the day, sigh).

I did not know about the Instagram trend, but then I'm not trendy enough to be on Instagram! ;-)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    Is there hype about those board things? They seem like a pretty normal party platter type thing.

(But then I'm much more confused by the idea that fast food is trendy. Maybe I take these thread titles too literally!)
    As far as the boards, I think the "trendy" part is in what you call it. You called it a "party platter", which is not trendy, but if you call it a "charcuterie board", then, BOOM!, you're cutting edge! :p

Exactly. My coworker kept talking about making charcuterie and I was a bit lost until I realized it was just good ol' cold cuts (he makes salami, pepperoni, various sausages).

Some of the best tasting food I've ever eaten was also the ugliest so I'm less interested in what it looks like. I had a "deconstructed" caesar salad in a swanky restaurant once and although it looked like it belonged in a magazine, it was far less enjoyable than a regular caesar salad.
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Cauliflower rice. I'd rather eat rice, thanks. Cauliflower has to be cooked damn well or I'm sick for a week.
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    I like charcuterie boards but agree they are overhyped.

as are... hot cocoa bomb
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    I like charcuterie boards but agree they are overhyped.

as are... hot cocoa bomb

I appreciate a really good charcuterie board too but don't consider them 'trendy' (anything really good is always prime for lots of social media 'hype') The best 'charcuterie' board is a MEZZE PLATTER! Not trendy...and so so good🥰
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2021
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Overnight oats-- my oatmeal already tastes yummy and takes like 2 minutes to make.
    Also these board things:
    hnwbmpb4ps9e.png
    I mean... I like most of the things on here individually, but I don't get the hype.

i have a friend obsessed with making herself and kids these. and yes, instagramming it.

LOL

Why would someone taking the time and care into creating something like this, which both looks great and has excellent tasty ingredients, make your eyes roll?

Cause of the Instagramming?

I think generally having something like this as a party platter or appetizer at a restaurant (with great cheese) is worth the cals (as it's a rare thing). Having it at home as a supposedly typical meal is odd (and IMO not all that healthy), and doing it for Instagram photos is likely not a great idea health-wise (it might be a great way to get IG attention).

One of the farms I buy from at my green market did a charcuterie plate to order, and I thought that was nice in that this year limited who went to the green market.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Also these board things:
    hnwbmpb4ps9e.png

LOL

Why would someone taking the time and care into creating something like this, which both looks great and has excellent tasty ingredients, make your eyes roll?

its one of many things she does that is all for image and displayed on social media to demonstrate what a great 'catch' she is. i sure as hell am not going to go to the time and effort of creating a beautiful display for a 7 year old who would be equally as happy and satisfied if she handed him a lunchables in the box LMAOOOOOOOO

for a party, presentation is more important. but not to feed your kid.

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Also these board things:
    hnwbmpb4ps9e.png

LOL

its one of many things she does that is all for image and displayed on social media to demonstrate what a great 'catch' she is. i sure as hell am not going to go to the time and effort of creating a beautiful display for a 7 year old who would be equally as happy and satisfied if she handed him a lunchables in the box LMAOOOOOOOO

for a party, presentation is more important. but not to feed your kid.

now I want to see her IG🤣
  • pancakerunner
    random, but I think most things cooked in an instant pot are over hyped???
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member

Maybe it's the instant pot that's over hyped, not the foods cooked in it. ;)
  • pancakerunner

Maybe it's the instant pot that's over hyped, not the foods cooked in it. ;)

ya get what I'm saying haha
  • lemurcat2

But it's such a huge variety of things. That's like saying things cooked on the stove are overhyped.

I have been using the shutdown period (well, mainly since October) to decide if I like kitchen tools I rarely used before, so started using the instant pot, and it's pretty useful for me. Most of the stuff I could make without it, and not everything has been a hit, but I find it extra convenient for some things. (And it makes fast and easy shredded chicken breast, which has changed my position on boneless, skinless breast.)