Chili recipes

azkunk
azkunk Posts: 956 Member
Anybody have a good chili recipe that you love? Instant Pot recipes welcome and encouraged. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• IWTBF67
    IWTBF67 Posts: 68 Member
    The weight watchers turkey chili is very good. I use ground turkey, kidney beans (drained) tomato sauce, canned tomatoes (Rotell) and chili powder. Sometimes I’ll throw in some other beans. It freezes very well so I make individual servings to freeze.
  • azkunk
    azkunk Posts: 956 Member
    That sounds pretty easy. Thanks.
  • MandyCMN
    MandyCMN Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2021
    peppers, onions, low fat mince, 2 beef stock cubes, cinnamon stick, fajita packet mix or chilli con carne packet mix, tinned tomatoes, squirt of tom puree, small amount of water to loosen and kidney beans. You can also add mushrooms if you like them.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    1tbsp oil, a couple of large onions, a red pepper, 200g cherry tomatoes (quartered) plus a 400g tin of chopped tomatoes plus 3 tbsp tomato puree, 750g lean steak mince, 2 tins of red kidney beans (drained), 15g garlic, 1 tsp chilli pepper, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp marjoram, 1tsp cinnamon and 1 beef stock cube in 300ml hot water. I sometimes add 100g red lentils to stretch it further.

Heat the oil. Cook the onions until soft. Add the red pepper, garlic, chilli, paprika, smoked paprika and cumin. Cook for 5 mins. Add the mince and brown that. Crumble the stock cube into a jug of water then add to the mince. Add the tomatoes (fresh and tinned), marjoram. Season with salt & pepper. Add the tomato puree (and lentils if adding). Stir. Bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 20 mins. Add the kidney beans then simmer, uncovered, for 10 mins. Leave to stand for 10 mins to let the flavours develop.

The last time I made this, I bagged it up as 9 portions at 263 cals per portion -but as a short, sedentary female, my calories per day are low and my meal portions are small. Next time I'll probably say it's 8 portions as I'm now in maintenance and can eat a little bit more!

I actually had a portion for dinner tonight - with 100g cooked rice and a portion of home-made guacamole, it's filling and very tasty.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,883 Member
    1 lb ground hamburger
    1 diced onion
    *2 12oz cans diced tomatoes (we prefer Zesty Chili flavored)
    *1 12oz can chili beans
    * - After dumping contents of all 3 cans, refill with water and add to pot
    1 tsp each: Italian seasoning, seasoned salt, salt, garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, onion powder
    2 tbsp chili powder
    1 pkg mixed chili spices
    1/4 tsp sugar

While browning the hamburger in a skillet, combine remaining ingredients in a large pot. Drain the hamburger of grease, add to the pot. Cover and set the pot on a low heat to simmer, stirring every 30 minutes. Ready to serve after one hour, but the longer you let sit the more intense the taste will be (plus the lovely aroma permeating every corner of the house!). We set it up by 8 or 9 in the morning and stir throughout the day before eating at 6-7 at night. Note that if you let it simmer for more than a couple hours, you will potentially need to add more water to offset evaporation, usually at a rate of about 1 cup every three hours or so.