2020: Not A Complete Waste

Inspired by a Facebook friend, I ran the numbers for 2020.

I’ve walked 6,835,720 steps this year and walked or run 3395 miles.

I squatted 165, benched 155 (coming from zero, so I’m pleased).

I’ve averaged at least one mat class a day in 2020. I love Pilates roll-ups and tick-tocks now. I’ve achieved headstand, many versions of arm balances, several twisted bind variations, and other yoga milestones.

I’ve learned to power walk. I walk so much, complete strangers refer to me as “oh, you’re the walking lady” or “the leggings lady”.

I started the year at 146.6, up because of a month long trip to Germany for a family wedding. I’m ending it at 133. Up because I planned on lots of holiday foods. I ended last year at 29.4% body fat, and was 21.9% on my second dexa scan four months ago.

In between I’ve needlepointed eight pillows, made three large afghans, embroidered a beaded table runner and a beaded bead-box (ha!), and more I can’t remember.

While it hasn’t been all I hoped for (my kids are thousands of miles away, and I’d really just like to hug them and friends I miss), 2020 has been a case for turning lemons into lemonade.

How about you? What have you done or learned from 2020?

qj8kklju92l9.jpeg

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    @Sand_TIger 52 to 30% is absolutely amaaaaaazing and inspiring. That is a shining accomplishment right there, right along with those squats. And the bread-ucation 2020 brought with it!

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    You got that many plates on the bar and it only adds up to 165??? Not "only" like that's all you lift just....the amount of plates looks like a ton!
    I was trying to come back to lifting after being out from march-aug and had gotten my squat back to around 140ish and bench 95(boo👎), but then got kicked out again and back to dumbbells at home. Really not sure what to expect for this year. I've been trying to run a little more since I'm not in the gym, so I just ordered an arm band for my phone and new running shoes. I have a goal of running 8.5 miles without walk breaks by the end of the month🤞
  • springlering62
    You got that many plates on the bar and it only adds up to 165??? Not "only" like that's all you lift just....the amount of plates looks like a ton!
    I was trying to come back to lifting after being out from march-aug and had gotten my squat back to around 140ish and bench 95(boo👎), but then got kicked out again and back to dumbbells at home. Really not sure what to expect for this year. I've been trying to run a little more since I'm not in the gym, so I just ordered an arm band for my phone and new running shoes. I have a goal of running 8.5 miles without walk breaks by the end of the month🤞

They’re bumper plates on an Olympic bar. They look heavy but they’re super light for the size. We rotate each week between regular plates, bumpers, and sometimes giant chains that look like they could anchor the Queen Mary.

I hated arm bands. Have you thought about the pocket waist bands? If you’ve got wireless earbuds they work great.
  • DancingMoosie
    Do the waist bands bounce?
  • DancingMoosie
    And you bench 155???
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    And you bench 155???

I know, that is dead awesome right?!

That was my last bench PB and I weighed a lot more than the OP...must re-test it at some point. I have just hit 155 lbs push press (overhead press with leg drive) for a couple of doubles recently...

2020 has been full of challenges but it made me refocus and come back stronger mentally and physically....a year on from an abusive relationship and I feel so different....so much more at ease with myself and others...
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    edited January 2021

Depends. I use a flip belt and it is very snug on me: https://flipbelt.com/flipbelt. Another advantage of the flip belt is that most of the openings do not have zippers. Anything I have used like this before, the zipper has broken way too soon.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member

I too use a flipbelt and it’s great. Doesn’t bounce,and has a little thing to clip in your keychain so they don’t slide out if that’s a feature for you, I like that they give measurements both relaxed and stretched for each size - to ensure less bounce I suggest sizing down into a more stretched size.

I’ve actually just ordered a new one - the XL is sliding around my hips a fair bit now so I’m jumping down to an M.
  • springlering62
    Lietchi wrote: »
    Overall I'm a lot more confident: in how I look, but also having accomplished so much. I'm not a very disciplined person, I feel, but my journey has been surprisingly easy. So apparently I can be disciplined when I set my mind to it :wink:
    Next step is to apply that discipline to other aspects of my life (work, hobbies) and I'll be unstoppable, lol.

@Lietchi i love all of your post, but especially this!!!!! And what a great choice of word!

Unstoppable, indeed!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!