Goal: 3,500,000 steps in 2021

That works out to about 5 miles a day on average, or a little under 10,000 per day. I like hiking, so those long and joyful days will buy me some slack, let me take it easy other days. I've got a lot of fitness goals for 2021, I think this is the easiest to relate to.

Anyone else have a step goal for the new year?

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Nope!
    My knees and lower back don't like step goals. I can't walk every day anymore; three times a week is my normal and four times a week my max, although I may pay the price later on if I push myself too much. It sucks, but I can't do much about it.
    Good luck with your goals!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    That's an admirable goal.

I like walking/hiking too but it would be too inconvenient and take me too long (about 2 hrs) each dsy to achieve that

However, I have a comparable goal of rowing 5-10km per day on my Concept2 rower during the current C2 rowing season (May-Apr) for a total of 2 million meters for the 2020-2021 year

I have already rowed 1.4 million meters for the 1st 8 months and only need to row 600km more in the next 4 months (or just 5km/day for the rest of the yr) to achieve this, wc is a very reasonable goal for me.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited January 2021
    I'm on my phone right now so I can't see usernames for forum threads but when I saw the thread's caption I was like "If anyone can do it, it would be @NorthCascades "

Well, lo and behold! You've got this. If you could just continue snapping a few of your adventures for us, pretty please? 😌
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    I've got the same goal I had last year: walk 1000 miles and run 2000. I hit my walking goal but not the running goal. After my race was cancelled, along with most other races, I lost heart. I still managed 1965 though, so I should get close if I can avoid serious injury and if my dog survives another 12 months (he's 13). I usually average around 17000 steps a day.
  • cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    I wish I could do this, but I lack the motivation. Plus, I keep getting injured. Doesn't help I'm close to 120kg!
  • edamamewebber
    edamamewebber Posts: 23 Member
    I'm in! A friend hit 3,650,000! I was so impressed! I picked up 12k today. Here we go!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Oh that's definitely doable. I managed 3,887,552 steps in 2020 and would love to beat that this year. My recorded walking miles was 950 and I'm hoping to improve on that and get to 1,000 miles. I'm also planning on doing more cycling this year. Last year I cycled 1,450 miles, and my goal for this year is 1,600.
  • edamamewebber
    edamamewebber Posts: 23 Member
    @BruinsGal_91 you are amazing! 950 miles walked AND 1450 cycled! Woot! Get those extra miles this year. 🌺
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I got 2.2 million last year, coming back from an injury. The previous five years were between 3.2 and 3.4 million, I'm surprised how consistent it is. So this should be plenty doable, but it should also keep me from sitting too much.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Wow, I just checked my Fitbit and I did 3,200,000 last year, and only got the Fitbit late April. I'm surprised.

I think I will aim to beat that this year, it will give me a prompt to keep moving, even when the weather is not so great.Thanks for the idea!
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Good luck! I decided to challenge myself to hiking 18 different peaks this year. Just in case all my travel gets cancelled I should be able to achieve this locally. To me that seems more like an adventure than counting steps but that’s just me.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    @cheriej2042

My summit goals for 2021 are:

* North Hidden Lake Peak
    * 3rd Burroughs
    * Alta
    * Tedium
    * The Craggies
    * Rock Mountain
    * Pugh
    * Cathedral and Amphitheatre
    * Bring my buddy Jack up Desolation Peak
    * Starry sky photos from a dark view peak

I find that kind of goal more meaningful too. Gotta stay busy on my stuck at home days too.

Cathedral and Amphitheatre are kind of a stretch goal.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I don’t have a specific goal in mind, but I did start a spread sheet tracking my steps for the year. I love hiking with my dogs and went on a long one yesterday (about 7 miles), so yesterday was over 20000 steps between the hike, the gym and just general moving around.

It’s super early in the year, but I’m at over 10k per day so far. I’d like to see how long I can keep the streak of 10k+ days going. The weather is bad by me today, so it will have to be indoor cardio to get me above 10k today. We shall see how that goes 😜
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,387 Member
    edited January 2021
    Covid permitting, I want to do the Camino de Santiago, coastal route, from Portugal into Spain.

I had to cancel my flight last May. 😢

If that works out well, I’ve got my eye on walks in Eastern Europe, Cornwall, Ireland, and/or Offa’s D-y-k-e, which MFP wants to kitten.

My dream trek would be over the Pyrenees on the path my hero Nancy Wake and downed allied flyers took at escape the Nazis. If you don’t know about Nancy Wake, Google her. The woman who leads this one says I need mountain treks under my belt, but I’m on the Piedmont plain. 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • cheriej2042
    cheriej2042 Posts: 241 Member
    Covid permitting, I want to do the Camino de Santiago, coastal route, from Portugal into Spain.

I had to cancel my flight last May. 😢

If that works out well, I’ve got my eye on walks in Eastern Europe, Cornwall, Ireland, and/or Offa’s D-y-k-e, which MFP wants to kitten.

My dream trek would be over the Pyrenees on the path my hero Nancy Wake and downed allied flyers took at escape the Nazis. If you don’t know about Nancy Wake, Google her. The woman who leads this one says I need mountain treks under my belt, but I’m on the Piedmont plain. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Wow! I just read about Nancy Wake! She sounds like a female James Bond character surprised there isn’t a movie on her life (maybe there is but they should do a current version).

Might be tough to travel in May that’s my opinion. I canceled my Eastern European trip (22 days Via Dinarica) last year and rebooked for 2022. I am still hoping for Advanced Base Camp K2 in August but I give it 50/50 depending on the vaccine here. I think 4Q trips are possible but if that is what’s left I will probably book late.
  • jbirdy76
    jbirdy76 Posts: 161 Member
    I had 3,300,00+ in 2020, I would be up for this! I actually had the goal already set for 300,000 a month so that actually works out to almost the same! Good luck! Sounds like an awesome goal! We should check in every once in awhile and see how things are going for each other!
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I average 15,000 steps a day. That is a very doable goal for me. Count me in.