What "trendy" foods do you have no interest in trying?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    breefoshee wrote: »
    Overnight oats-- my oatmeal already tastes yummy and takes like 2 minutes to make.
    Also these board things:
    hnwbmpb4ps9e.png
    I mean... I like most of the things on here individually, but I don't get the hype.

Seems like a lot of calories for one meal for one person. Who wants to take a guess at the calories?
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    stupid quinoa, if I wanted to eat flavorless tapioca I would eat ... well, quinoa, ha ha

I felt the same way until I had a really good quinoa salad with feta and toasted pistachios and honey vinaigrette
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    I love quinoa. I thought that was the unpopular opinion.
    I know some people eat it because they think it’s healthy.
    I eat it cause I like it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    stupid quinoa, if I wanted to eat flavorless tapioca I would eat ... well, quinoa, ha ha

More flavorless than, say, white rice? Hmm, dunno.

BTW, "flavorless tapioca" is redundant.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    fake meat

it's dog food with more junk to keep it "fresh". check the ingredients.
  • siberiantarragon
    siberiantarragon Posts: 265 Member
    edited January 2021
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There's edible glitter, and non-toxic glitter. Don't eat non-toxic glitter. (Stuff like Play-Doh is non-toxic, but we don't use it as a fondant substitute.) No guarantee that the bakery or coffee shop knows the difference.

In the US, edible glitter has only FDA-approved food ingredients (which may not be the badge of safety some people are looking for). The thing that makes it glitter is usually mica-based pearlescent stuff. Mica is a silicate mineral that's considered digestively inert (but there are versions processed to be edible, others not so much).

I don't see the point, but whatever. I'd observe that there are traditional foods that involve a garnish of very thin silver or gold leaf (real silver, gold), such as certain Indian desserts, and that's also considered safe (but may or may not be vegetarian). Last I knew, the FDA had not approved it, but a European certifying agency reportedly had (some forms).

I guess "glitter donut" sounds catchier than "mica donut," but technically that isn't glitter, at least going by that infamous glitter article from a few years ago (https://nytimes.com/2018/12/21/style/glitter-factory.html) Glitter is "aluminum metalized polyethylene terephthalate," ie. plastic.

I was always too freaked out by the silver/gold Indian desserts to try them (my childhood neighborhood has a lot of Indian-Americans).
  • AnnPT77
    There's edible glitter, and non-toxic glitter. Don't eat non-toxic glitter. (Stuff like Play-Doh is non-toxic, but we don't use it as a fondant substitute.) No guarantee that the bakery or coffee shop knows the difference.

In the US, edible glitter has only FDA-approved food ingredients (which may not be the badge of safety some people are looking for). The thing that makes it glitter is usually mica-based pearlescent stuff. Mica is a silicate mineral that's considered digestively inert (but there are versions processed to be edible, others not so much).

I don't see the point, but whatever. I'd observe that there are traditional foods that involve a garnish of very thin silver or gold leaf (real silver, gold), such as certain Indian desserts, and that's also considered safe (but may or may not be vegetarian). Last I knew, the FDA had not approved it, but a European certifying agency reportedly had (some forms).

I guess "glitter donut" sounds catchier than "mica donut," but technically that isn't glitter, at least going by that infamous glitter article from a few years ago (https://nytimes.com/2018/12/21/style/glitter-factory.html) Glitter is "aluminum metalized polyethylene terephthalate," ie. plastic.

I was always too freaked out by the silver/gold Indian desserts to try them (my childhood neighborhood has a lot of Indian-Americans).

The edible glitter contains more than just mica, usually stuff like sugar, gum arabic, maltodextrin, cornstarch, colors, etc. The mica is just what makes it shiny.

There are other kinds of glitter that aren't the type that's the main focus in your link, for example, old-school glass glitter, which is literally crushed glass that goes through various treatments. Fine-cut (but not powdered) mica sheet might as well be glitter (it's the glitter-y bits in granite, basically, just harvested in bigger chunks and cut fine); it can be purchased for crafts use, too. (I have some.) You maybe wouldn't want to eat actual mica in glitter-sized chunks, I think. IMU, the powder is used in making edible glitter. Modern crafts-project type glitter, polyester glitter, or glitter on cards, seasonal decorations, etc., is the plastic-y stuff: Much more common.

I had the edible silver once, at a really excellent Indian restaurant in NYC years back. It was very beautiful, but IIRC pretty neutral as to flavor: Just for pretty, I think.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    breefoshee wrote: »
    Overnight oats-- my oatmeal already tastes yummy and takes like 2 minutes to make.
    Also these board things:
    hnwbmpb4ps9e.png
    I mean... I like most of the things on here individually, but I don't get the hype.

Seems like a lot of calories for one meal for one person. Who wants to take a guess at the calories?

Yeah, that's why it never crossed my mind it was supposed to be a meal vs a party platter or maybe appetizers for the table.
  • pancakerunner
    fake meat

Harsh, but true.
  • AnnPT77
    fake meat

Vast overgeneralization . . . and I don't even like the stuff, despite being vegetarian.

Ranges from tofu with meat-esque seasonings, to grain- or bean-based "burgers", to the newer mycoproteins and things like Impossible Burgers and whatnot that are trying to be a quite-close imitation.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    Fake meat + dog food is a social media thing. Snopes calls it "Mostly False."

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/impossible-burgers-dogfood/

Executive summary: "Most of the shared ingredients are vitamins and minerals."

They were comparing grain-free vegan dog food. That and Beyond Meat Burger both use Pea Protein.

And they both use (GASP) salt!
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    I'll try pretty much anything as long as it's vegan. I do tend to avoid the zucchini in everything/as noodles trend though. Never been a fan
  • breefoshee
    breefoshee Posts: 398 Member
    random, but I think most things cooked in an instant pot are over hyped???

Yes! I don't like the texture of meat cooked in a crockpot or instapot. I tend to prefer to grill or stir-fry.

There are a few things that I do really love in an instapot: boiled eggs, copycat starbucks egg bites, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts.. maybe a roast. If I could get my rice vs. water ratio correct, then I'd love it as a rice maker.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,341 Member
    Does anyone remember little silver dragees? They looked like giant nonpareils.

That’s how you knew it was a festive cake back in the day, when it had little silver blobs dotted all over it.
  • AnnPT77

That’s how you knew it was a festive cake back in the day, when it had little silver blobs dotted all over it.

As a child, I *loved* those. Fascinated. Would eat them from the jar. Those, and another scary food: Standard commercial maraschino cherries.
  • pancakerunner

As a child, I *loved* those. Fascinated. Would eat them from the jar. Those, and another scary food: Standard commercial maraschino cherries.

maraschino cherries + 7up
  • TealTrinket
    TealTrinket Posts: 22 Member

I have a jar of these in my fridge from Christmas baking and I just love to grab it out and eat a few.

I also eat and enjoy half the foods mentioned in this thread. Hah. I only like oatmeal when it's done up as overnight oats. Hot oatmeal has such a gross texture.

I do find bulletproof coffee, and mushroom coffee weird AF though.
  • AnnPT77

I have a jar of these in my fridge from Christmas baking and I just love to grab it out and eat a few.

I also eat and enjoy half the foods mentioned in this thread. Hah. I only like oatmeal when it's done up as overnight oats. Hot oatmeal has such a gross texture.

I do find bulletproof coffee, and mushroom coffee weird AF though.

That's interesting. I love hot oatmeal, but dislike overnight oats. (To me, there's just something off-putting about the flavor of raw oats.) I even like the "adult pablum" quality of hot old-fashioned oatmeal. (Instant, not so good, but edible if I must - mostly I object to the flavors.)

Bulletproof coffee (of a sort) was better than I'd expected. I went to one of Those Kind of Coffee Shops while out shopping with friends pre-pandemic. They had fancy versions of oil-added coffee. I'd expected it to be really repellant - because I don't like the mouth-feel of whole milk in coffee, even, too oily - but it was OK, to my surprise. I don't need more, but I do like to try things. I'm not going to seek it out, but I'd drink it again, in similar circumstances.