Any tips for ppl who have Disc Degenerative Disease for weight loss and toning body?

Looking for tips on how to loose weight with chronic pain?

Replies

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Hi. I have this and a bunch of other back issues herniated discs, scoliosis, arthritis, stenosis.... Barely in pain at all. What honestly helps a lot is a low inflammatory diet. Keep the sodium down. Fish oil, too. Sretching and known exercises that are easier on the back. Like bending knees when doing crunches. Using the ball for them, too. Walking helps a lot. Invest in the best sneakers. I can do dumbell exercises and machine weights. Start slow, ask for expert advice, maybe go to PT and ask. If something feels too much don't do it. If it comes back on you several days later, make a change. All the best.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Losing weight is primarily down to the size of your diet for everyone (achieving a calorie deficit) and even more so when someone is physically restricted. Simply put - eat less than you need to maintain weight.
    There's a good chance that simply losing weight will improve your pain levels (less spinal compresssion).

Exercise selection is going to be very individual depending on which discs are affected, how badly and any resulting nerve impingment and pain levels.
    e.g.
    I can (and do) cycle hundreds of miles a month, I can (and do) lift heavy weights in the gym but there's some movements and exercises I have to be very careful about and control the load/intensity/weight cautiously.
    My biggest triggers for my many disc prolapses have been uncontrolled movements such as stumbling or missing stairs. Don't think I've ever had a prolapse lifting heavy objects with care.

Apart from weight loss maintaining strong core muscles has been a game-changer for my pain levels.

• JudyKenova14
    JudyKenova14 Posts: 4 Member
    Following
  • phabmissk
    phabmissk Posts: 1 Member
    Hi Valerie, Sorry you're experiencing chronic pain. Been there! Yoga is the best option. Start with floor poses and work your way up to standing poses. The goal with yoga is to feel the extent of YOUR range of movement and try to improve that a little every day. EVERY DAY is the key. Search Youtube for 'yoga for lower back pain' and you'll find a lot of options. Be well and happy!
  • Speakeasy76
    Speakeasy76 Posts: 961 Member
    Hello! Yes, I have significant disc degeneration in my lumbar spine, and part of my cervical spine as well (as well as other chronic aches and pains). I've done physical therapy a couple of times, and found the last round (that ended at the beginning of 2020) to be the most beneficial. When I completed it, my PT said I shouldn't have to avoid any moves, but of course listen to my body.

Like others have said, you've got to find what works for you dependent on your level of fitness and where your most significant areas of d.d. are. Also, it does come down to calories in, calories out, and even low-impact exercises like walking and swimming will increase your calorie expenditure.

A lot of people think stretching will help with chronic pain, and while it may help temporarily, you've got to focus on strength probably more so than flexibility. People with disc degeneration often have a lot of muscle imbalances and compensations they've developed over the years due to pain. I lift heavy (well, heavy for me lol), and can do most moves without pain because I am so focused on form and know what works/doesn't work.

• LilyTuber
    LilyTuber Posts: 1 Member
    edited January 2021
    Please check with your doctor first, but I had sciatica for years due to compressed discs in my spine and planks saved my life. Start with a modified plank (on your knees, not toes) and work your way up. Take it slow and if you can only hold it for a couple of seconds, that's fine. After time, add a second. Honestly, I went from sciatic cripple to biking and now running... and it STARTED with planks. But, PLEASE, check with your doctor or physiotherapist first to see if this is suitable for you. I would like to add that "degenerative disc disease" is a bit of misnomer... it's not a disease but it is brutal to have compressed or worn discs. Take care and know you are not alone.
  • thepritts
    thepritts Posts: 4 Member
    Following.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    When it comes to one's back, researching a good PT and getting evaluated is a good idea. They will help individualize your needs - they will really speed up the process for you ... safely and efficiently.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    @Chieflrg is a wealth of knowledge in this area. Maybe if we say his name three times, he’ll show up. 😉

@Chieflrg @Chieflrg @Chieflrg
  • jtwesttx
    jtwesttx Posts: 6 Member
    Looking for tips on how to loose weight with chronic pain?

Valerie, I’d encourage you to take a look at the Egoscue Method. It’s worth a shot and realignment of your body does wonders, and even alleviates pain for a lot of folks. I wish I could guarantee that it’d help everyone in ever situation, but that’s not realistic. The method and their program does help many people become pain free, and I’m one of them. I worked with Rick Mathis at Egoscue Austin via Skype appointments. The link below should get you to his site or you can simply search Austin Egoscue Austin.

https://www.egoscue.com/find-therapy/egoscue-austin/

• gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,115 Member
    Valerie...First of all, so sorry that you have joined the millions of us who have disc problems. To get to the point, you find something that works for you. But first I would suggest discussing it with your doctor. For me, I was under the misguided perception that losing weight would somehow help my back problems. I lost 117 lbs. It did solve the problems with my knees and ankles, but not my discs....so I tried different things. Physical therapy, acupuncture, yoga. home decompression (which gave some temporary relief) . nothing worked.
    Needless to say, working out in the gym was excruciating at times, but I had to tone up my body. I finally found that bike riding, while it didn't cure my back problems, was something I could do and while riding, I felt little or no pain. When not riding, the pain of course came back. sciatica, disc pain....I built up to distance and got so that I was riding 10 miles a day....loved it.
    Right now I am recovering from open heart surgery and cannot ride, but looking forward to the day that I can get back on....I never get any relief from the pain, it seems
    Basically, there are millions of things you can try. Try as many as you can to find what works for you. There is no one "magic pill". Good luck
  • Lots of stretching, physcical therapy excercises, strength building with proper form, lots of rest, and changing my diet have all helped tremendously. I have had arthritis since my teens all over my body, also very serious endocrine and multiple multiple autoimmune disorders. Have been debilitated by herniated discs/tears thoughout low back with nerve damage in the legs, same in neck and arms, schmorls nobules, much more dmage to my hips and spine from bike accidents being hit in crosswalks with the right of way, head injuries mast cell which is very debilitating. Am really getting slowily over all or managing though the daily practice of these teqcniques. I did have and still have to follow a very strict diet and keep up with it all otherwise I would be stuck in bed but I am grateful to say most of the time now I can function and be active daily!
  • Whatsthemotive
    Whatsthemotive Posts: 145 Member
    HASfit chair exercise videos (free on YouTube) are helping me. My issue is different as I have chronic pain from as old foot ankle injury (crushed heel bone).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!